Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect and Dragon Age

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Volourn said:
"Dragon Age was announced like five years ago."

Nah. That would mean it was announced the same year NWN2 was released. That isn't the case. Stop the exaggeration.

Dragon Age first appeared at E3, May 2004.

Exaggeration, perhaps, but not by much. Mass Effect wasn't even a blip on the radar at that point. Dragon Age had screenshots ready for that E3.

Over three years. They better be close to finishing by now. :?

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
The Feral Kid said:
But what happened to the BG successor marketing tag back in 2004 which now slowly but steadily has been withdrawn...
The only thing that has been withdrawn is the FAQ where it was stated, which was out of date as many things about DA have changed from the initial plans we had in mind. Even so, we've never stopped saying that it was the spiritual successor to BG... and NWN as well as KotOR. Personally, the thing I don't like about that statement is that people hear what they want to hear with it -- some people stop listening as soon as they hear BG, and assume that the game will thus be exactly like BG2 only updated. Others stop listening as soon as they hear NWN and assume the game will be exactly like NWN with a toolset focus but only minus the D&D.

Funny, that. Maybe that's what some marketing folks intended, I have no idea, but the truth is that we incorporate major elements we liked from all three games so it's hardly untrue. We haven't withdrawn from anything, except that maybe after the announcement we've deliberately kept DA off the radar completely. Mass Effect is the priority for the moment, and once we're ready to I'm sure you'll hear more about DA than you ever wanted to.

As for how long DA has been in development, the E3 proof-of-concept demo was back in May of 2004. That was very early in development, obviously, and considering most new-engine games are in development for upwards of 4 or 5 years I don't think we're off the mark at all.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
" as many things about DA have changed from the initial plans we had in mind"

Exactly what I wanted to hear and I'm glad you admitted that in front of the community. Where "changed" everyone can draw their own conclusions...Mine is "dumbed down".

" Even so, we've never stopped saying that it was the spiritual successor to BG... and NWN as well as KOTOR"

No, it was marked as BG successor only. This is just playing with words.

"and assume that the game will thus be exactly like BG2 only updated"

I don't think anyone expected an identical game but one that stayed true to its spirit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"No, it was marked as BG successor only"

Stop the bullshit. Start the truth.

It was always hyped as the 'spiritual successer to BG, NWN, and KOTOR'.

"I don't think anyone expected an identical game but one that stayed true to its spirit."

Wrong again. People who have sex with BG want games to be exactly like it. Too bad those idiots are FAKE role-players who wouldn't know what REAL role-playing is.

"Mine is "dumbed down"."

Yours is just stupid; but that ain't surprisin'.

R00fles!

The Feral Kid

Prophet
"Wrong again. People who have sex with BG what games to be exactly like it"

I for sure know that I don't. Are you speaking from personal experience? I'm sure if you try it with real people it will improve your communication skills.

The Feral Kid said:
It was, but things I've just looked through also say "and NWN" or "with ideas from NWN and KOTOR."

The Feral Kid said:
Exactly what I wanted to hear and I'm glad you admitted that in front of the community. Where "changed" everyone can draw their own conclusions...Mine is "dumbed down".
Wouldn't dumbing down be keeping "enslave nations with necromancy"?

Volourn said:
Stop the bullshit. Start the truth.
Do you just try to come up with the most annoying phrases?

hiciacit

Liturgist
Dgaider said:
... but the truth is that we incorporate major elements we liked from all three games so it's hardly untrue.

Could you be more specific as to what these elements were? I mean, what was the stuff you really liked about those games that you decided to incorporate and build upon them, or perhaps even more interesting, what was the stuff you did not like and decided to never ever use in a game again. :)

The Feral Kid

Prophet
"It was, but things I've just looked through also say "and NWN" or "with ideas from NWN and KOTOR."

Expect Oblivion to be added soon to the shopping list

"Wouldn't dumbing down be keeping "enslave nations with necromancy"?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
hiciacit said:
Dgaider said:
... but the truth is that we incorporate major elements we liked from all three games so it's hardly untrue.

Could you be more specific as to what these elements were? I mean, what was the stuff you really liked about those games that you decided to incorporate and build upon them, or perhaps even more interesting, what was the stuff you did not like and decided to never ever use in a game again. :)

I guess they mean KOTORs challenging and tactical combat system, Baldurs Gates deep and uncliched characters aswell as its meaningful diaologue options and NWNs exciting overall campaing and storyline :lol:

ricolikesrice

Arcane
if they d get rid of romances, the dull and easy mindless combat and ultra cliche good & evil views i d more than trust bioware to make a good cRPG.
heck KOTOR, NWN and JE may not be even close to PS:T or arcanum but they are still alot better than oblivion and in some parts actually pretty good.

unfortunatly all 3 are "major elements" in all their games and they focus on them probably because when you look around the bioware boards you see masses of people who s only interest in a roleplaying game seems to be how many NPCs you can cyber with - cant really blame em for delivering what is demanded.

my silent hope is that Mass effect is the product for the retards to cash in lots of money and maybe/hopefully DA is trying to be a good cRPG.
afterall i think bioware has enough reputation where it counts (i.e. the mass market) that bringing out a game thats a bit "different" wouldnt turn out to be a failure.
but maybe i m just way too optimistic =)

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
The Feral Kid said:
Exactly what I wanted to hear and I'm glad you admitted that in front of the community.
Err... okay. Then I freely admit that every single project I have ever worked on has changed radically from the time of its initial planning to the end of implementation. Shall I say a few Hail Mary's now or perform some other kind of penance? :roll:
Where "changed" everyone can draw their own conclusions...Mine is "dumbed down".
Your conclusions are dumbed down?
Except that it was never marked (marketed, I guess you mean?) that way at all. I'm quoting straight from the FAQ that was put up that it cited all three games as its inspiration.
I don't think anyone expected an identical game but one that stayed true to its spirit.
Right. Maybe some people simply hear what they want to hear. In which case there's no further point in discussing this with you, is there?

Oarfish

Prophet
nterest in a roleplaying game seems to be how many NPCs you can cyber withnterest in a roleplaying game seems to be how many NPCs you can cyber with

Sex and romance are both perfectly suitable story elements. It's the way they are executed that can leave something to be desired. That said, I didn't think the romances were ever out of place in Bioware's games. They are high fantasy and space opera, if you want a literary experience you don't read books with dragons and wizards on the cover.

obediah

Erudite
Oarfish said:
nterest in a roleplaying game seems to be how many NPCs you can cyber withnterest in a roleplaying game seems to be how many NPCs you can cyber with

Sex and romance are both perfectly suitable story elements.

And is the important word there. If you're going to have all sorts of crappy mush-talk and make the player jump through a courtship, you need some harcore payoff. Also, I think the game should take blue balls into account. Like maybe you get to second base with your love-interest and then kobolds attack and all your stats have a -4 penalty because you're fighting with a raging stiffy. Dwarves would have a -6 because of their extra-stout members and extra-productive jewels. Little-dicked elves would only have a -1.

Gaider, tell me that this is in so I can pre-order my copy today :lol:

doctor_kaz

Scholar
I get less excited about this game with each passing year that goes by where the X-Box crowd gets another Bioware game and the PC gets some forum posts, a FAQ update, and a port of an outdated game that was designed for a controller. Bioware won't even come out and say definitively that the game will be a PC exclusive. For all we know, it might not be and we'll be looking at yet another gimped PC game. If it ever comes out at all, that is. (But hey my PC will have plug-and-play functionality for a 360 controller so I guess it's OK. Thanks Microsoft!!!) By the end of the year, Bioware will have released two console games since their last PC game. By the middle of next year, it will be six years since Bioware released a PC exclusive (expansion packs and mini-modules for NWN don't count). By all appearances, the priority for Bioware is, indeed, the consoles and Dragon Age is on the backburner, so that when Mass Effect comes out Jade Empire 2 will be Bioware's next game.

doctor_kaz said:
By all appearances, the priority for Bioware is, indeed, the consoles and Dragon Age is on the backburner, so that when Mass Effect comes out Jade Empire 2 will be Bioware's next game.
That's because DA is not very far into actually being made into a game at all. So there really isn't much to show, especially for a game that's rather far away. They have the DS game to start whoring anyway soon enough.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I get less excited about this game with each passing year that goes by where the X-Box crowd gets another Bioware game and the PC gets some forum posts, a FAQ update, and a port of an outdated game that was designed for a controller."

Tough shit.

" Bioware won't even come out and say definitively that the game will be a PC exclusive."

Stop the bullshit, start the truth. Theyv'e been quite clear. Dragon Age is a PC exclusive - just as much as ME is a xbox 360 exclusive.

For all we know, it might not be and we'll be looking at yet another gimped PC game."

WAAAAAAAA!!!!

If it ever comes out at all, that is. (But hey my PC will have plug-and-play functionality for a 360 controller so I guess it's OK. Thanks Microsoft!!!)"

Hi Hades.

"By the end of the year, Bioware will have released two console games since their last PC game."

Stop the bullshit, start the truth.

By the middle of next year, it will be six years since Bioware released a PC exclusive (expansion packs and mini-modules for NWN don't count)."

Actually, they do count. They are exclusives to the PC. This is a fact.

" By all appearances, the priority for Bioware is, indeed, the consoles and Dragon Age is on the backburner, so that when Mass Effect comes out Jade Empire 2 will be Bioware's next game."

Stop the bullshit, start the truth. The priorty for BIO is to make games they can sell. Dumbass.

DarkSign

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Other concerns about the game aside, I really hate the idea of this "mass effect" stuff. I don't mind them having some magic analogue in their setting. That's their prerogative. But "mass effect" is GRAVITY. Everyone causes is because we have mass. I suppose they could whip up some pseudophysical technobabble about how mass effecters just bend spacetime much like actual mass is thought to to cause wacky spell-like effects, but it still just sounds stupid to me.

sorry to jump a page with a quote, but marvel used the strong force, weak force and the electromagnetic force of sub-atomic physics to explain mutant powers.

...Just sayin'

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Volourn said:
"Stop the bullshit, start the truth. The priorty for BIO is to make games they can sell. Dumbass.

I agree. Just look at how much Jade Empire outsold those commercial flops like Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2, and Neverwinter Nights, (along with four expansion packs and a bunch of other mini-modules). And with cheaper cost too! It's not like Jade Empire had a big advertising campaign or anything. I had my doubts before, but you put everything into perspective for me. Thank you.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Link?"

You are a big boy (or girl, or thing), get your own link.

"I agree. Just look at how much Jade Empire outsold those commercial flops like Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2, and Neverwinter Nights, (along with four expansion packs and a bunch of other mini-modules). And with cheaper cost too! It's not like Jade Empire had a big advertising campaign or anything. I had my doubts before, but you put everything into perspective for me. Thank you."

You fail at the funny. And, you also lie. 4 expansion packs? When? HAHAH!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
That's not 4. that's 3.

SOU.

HOTU.

Kingmaker Compliation.

That's 3.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Dgaider said:
The Feral Kid said:
Exactly what I wanted to hear and I'm glad you admitted that in front of the community.
Err... okay. Then I freely admit that every single project I have ever worked on has changed radically from the time of its initial planning to the end of implementation. Shall I say a few Hail Mary's now or perform some other kind of penance? :roll:
Where "changed" everyone can draw their own conclusions...Mine is "dumbed down".
Your conclusions are dumbed down?
Except that it was never marked (marketed, I guess you mean?) that way at all. I'm quoting straight from the FAQ that was put up that it cited all three games as its inspiration.
Right. Maybe some people simply hear what they want to hear. In which case there's no further point in discussing this with you, is there?

Given the amount of effort and time you put in replying to a nobody forum poster its no surprise this game is taking forever. Maybe you should put your creativity to some good use after all...

Texas Red

Whiner
sportforredneck said:
doctor_kaz said:
By all appearances, the priority for Bioware is, indeed, the consoles and Dragon Age is on the backburner, so that when Mass Effect comes out Jade Empire 2 will be Bioware's next game.
That's because DA is not very far into actually being made into a game at all. So there really isn't much to show, especially for a game that's rather far away. They have the DS game to start whoring anyway soon enough.

I think it *is* far in to the development, considering there *were* 3 years after all. Its just that Bioware doesnt want to create competition for itself while they are still hyping the soul out of ME.

You have to be naive to think that DA wont be a port-like thing. By making PC only games you obviously cant make a living :roll:. The doctors or whatever have their basic needs as well as everyone, so wanting to buy a second villa in France and a penthouse in the centre of NYC is understandable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom