Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition Worth It?

Sunri

Liturgist
Never played ME is this best way to approach the series?

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, it is. The first ME is definitely the best space opera game out there.

But don't straight up buy it. It's on both EA Play and Xbox PC Pass. Just pay for a month on either of those and you can play it.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I was not able to launch it from steam as there is some origin fuckery. Also it's censored which should interest you and should you stop from buying it, but I know you don't care or even like it.

SpurdoFan

Literate
The first one is definitely worth a playthrough and will (probably) have you eager too see the story's conclusion. The 2nd is then an intermission without any story progression but a focus on the combat and side characters, play if you absolutely need more after the 1st. As for the 3rd I would go back in time and tell me not to play it, if I could.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
No remaster that i have ever played has been an improvement. Beamdog shat up the Baldur's Gate series and introduced new bugs, made the games look worse and broke the gameplay by changing the systems, introduced cancer content like gay orcs and trannies. Bioware managed to make Mass Effect worse in-house with their remaster.

Beyond the censorship and all that usual shit they get up to when they get the new intern to "fix" something done by professionals they are inferior versions with missing SFX, broken skyboxes, missing DLC...

They also redid the lightning to make all the cutscenes seem flatter and generally worse.

It might not seem like a huge deal, but it builds up to a greatly inferior version to what the games were on release. This always happens. There are no good remasters.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

No they fucked up the lightening and original visuals of the series because the nubioware didn't understand the visual tone of the OS and its relation to the setting. Also they edited characters.

racofer

Thread Incliner
No. Don't give Bioware money.
8932711a7897c60c3bb8e06350aa0c70-captain-jack-sparrow-pirates-of-the-caribbean.jpg

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
If you’re lazy then LE is a convenient package that includes all the dlc minus one.

Otherwise yeah for the reasons others mention the original versions are the best, if you do get the LE then decensor patch and lighting mod is mandatory.

If you’ve never played them then absolutely. It’s a convenient package and the first ME has some nice QOL improvements. The only downside being that you have to use Origin in conjunction with Steam.

Sunri

Liturgist
Are they any must have mods for legendary edition? from what I understand you can import your save from one game to another like in witcher

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Are they any must have mods for legendary edition? from what I understand you can import your save from one game to another like in witcher
https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectlegendaryedition/mods/393
One of the most pointless virtue signally changes they made in the LE simply because the game is full of butt shots, it seems to be a quirk of the camera. But mouth breathing journos all wrote articles clutching their pearls over it and so it became a thing and LE devs were very loud and proud about "fixing" miranda in me2 whilst not doing the same for any other character.

For lighting not sure which to use:
https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectlegendaryedition/mods/1729 Restores the lighting of me2 but only for that game
https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectlegendaryedition/mods/66 Affects all games and it does seem to add more color but not sure if that is authentic to how it should look.

Also another reason to recommend the originals over LE: modding scene hasn't caught up yet. There were a few major mods for ME3 in particular that made it a better game (galaxy extended) but only parts of that mod can be found on LE.

And yes you import your save from game to game.

Last edited:

Sunri

Liturgist
lmao booty mode ok i will install LE with mods do i need to play male character to romance companions?

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
do i need to play male character to romance companions?
All the female ones yes (minus a lesbian npc in me3), the male VA didn't want to act out gay scenes so if you want to roll sausages then you'll have to play a femshep.

Almost all romances are heterosexual (blue lady swings either way because that's how her species rolls) which might take some getting used to if you're used to more modern rpgs.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane

f0x9BDY.png

BioWare is a dead company, infiltrated then destroyed from within by the usual talentless activist-employees, drunk on their midwit Frankfurt School ideology. This is judging by the anti-white Tweets of activist Manveer Heir, which went completely unremarked while he was an employee, and the presence of certain woke traits in spin-off Mass Effect: Andromeda. It's probably best not to give a company like that any money, unless they actually repudiated their choices. But the Legendary Edition is the easiest way to play Mass Effect on a modern PC, and Mass Effect was the best space opera video game franchise ever made. Where the Codex generally criticises BioWare post-Baldur's Gate, I'm a space opera fan, so Mass Effect is valuable to me, and the world-building of Mass Effect 1 was phenomenal and unsurpassed in my view. A setting as rich as Star Trek, Star Wars or Babylon 5 was created from scratch. That is the principle value and achievement of the series. It's rare. I love these games.

IijyYKr.png

GqxEnAq.png

As you can see, it's the kind of alien-heavy, wonder-filled space opera, that franchises like Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5 and Farscape represent. I don't actually think the graphics were improved that much, as the series already looked good based on the strength of it's design elements. It's just a facelift, with some higher quality models, and some slightly upscaled textures. Playing it on a modern rig, with an M2 hard drive, modern graphics card, etc, was just a smooth and wonderful way to re-experience my favorite space opera games.

Rhobar121

Scholar
In fact, most of the improvements apply to ME1, in other games they are much harder to notice.
Actually, the biggest advantage of LE is easy access to all DLCs and at that time EA liked to spam DLCs.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom