Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition Worth It?

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
Actually, the biggest advantage of LE is easy access to all DLCs and at that time EA liked to spam DLCs.
This is fake news, EA is bundling all previously released DLC with the original games, which they are still selling individually on Steam and on their digital storefront. Unlike the beamdog scam where you have to buy their shittier versions to a higher price to get access to the original games. I have no idea why you'd give EA your money though, you'd have to be clinically retarded to do so.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
There are no good remasters

Quake 1 and 2 are great remasters.
I know the mouthbreathers around here will reddit downrate this post but no, they're not remasters and they're not good. What you typically do when you remaster a piece of media is to go back to the original master versions and turn them into a product for current systems and so on. A film would have the original prints be scanned again, a music track would be put on a CD instead of a cassette tape and you'd have mixing for the current sound systems.

Quake is supposed to be played in 320x200 resolution software mode on a CRT monitor like Allah intended. Ideally a game remaster would consist of game developers putting together their original assets before they were compressed and lowered in fidelity enough to be playable on older hardware to deliver the same experience and game on current systems. In a pre-rendered isometric game you might render the original models again but in higher resolution so that you can get the same experience on modern monitors as you would have at lower resolutions using a CRT monitor. You might use the original audio files without as much compression. Etc.

What the Quake "remaster" did was to port Quake to a different engine, the hacks over at Nightdive's Kek engine or whatever they call it, and they introduced shitty new models that are comparable to the "HD" Half-Life models, which suck. Made minor aesthetic changes to levels, fucked with the lightning and slapped on a couple of badly made usermaps. Quake "Enhanced" isn't a way to play the game as originally intended. I'm sure a more monocled poster like schru would have even more to say about it.

The reason why you would remaster a game would be that it won't run on modern systems, or that the technology has changed so much you won't get the same game experience even if you can run them. Such as the change in monitors also changed how pixel art was displayed, or how jaggies weren't as noticeable. Or that present systems can finally run the game with the original master assets without having to reduce resolution or compress them as much.

metroidqbeez.png

Zlaja

Arcane
and they introduced shitty new models that are comparable to the "HD" Half-Life models, which suck

I spent a fair amount of time checking out the new and old models, and comparing them to each other, and all of them are a faithful alteration to make them look a bit better from a technical standpoint, IMO. I'm avoiding using the word "improvement", cause that word can be a bit problematic when it comes to anything related to art-design. I will say that I prefer the new models, in almost every case. The exception being one of the flying enemies and one of the tanks.

Since the game was remade in a new engine, perhaps the word 'remake' would be more suitable to describe that release.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's worth it if you want to play the trilogy with all the DLC  and you don't own it already. It's not particularly worth it if you already have everything because you can easily mod in better graphics.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
I spent a fair amount of time checking out the new and old models, and comparing them to each other, and all of them are a faithful alteration to make them look a bit better from a technical standpoint, IMO.
Despite giving an explanation of what a
also re-master, by 1967 of a recording, from re- "back, again" + master (n.) "original of a recording." Meaning going back to the original assets used to put together the media product again.
is above it seems that most retards can't read and don't know what words mean. You're the exception since you seem to understand that when George Lucas decided to insert CGI crap into his Star Wars films this wasn't "remastering" but an alteration to the films, and the same is the case when Zionmax hires a couple of modders to make higher fidelity models to replace the old Quake models. For a remake maybe it's alright, but it's not a remaster. I don't like it much because from what I played of the "Enhanced" edition it is more of the current year idea of what a retro boomershooter is than the real deal, feeling more like a cheap Unity game made recently with the changes than the classic Quake is.

When Gearbox was making an expansion pack for Half-Life they
hrp8hiuv.jpg
the models and they were given the same treatment, only it was by a studio around the same time of the game instead of paid modders many decades later. It doesn't matter which version you prefer, it's a modification/recreation of what originally was there. When the birdbrain gamers that keep posting these retarded gotchas with supposed exceptions that aren't exceptions at all get this maybe they'll finally fuck off.
Except Starcraft Remastered
It's not a
starcraft-remastered-2cilh.png
Blizzard got a studio to remake the assets, and as far as a remake goes it might be decent enough. This is not a preservation of the original game, this is not the original work now available in a higher resolution or configured for modern systems. For fuck's sake, I already explained what a good remaster is supposed to be above. At least post remasters if you're going to say that I'm wrong, then we can argue about if they are shit or not. Video game preservation is in the shitter and even remasters that are made a couple of years after release mess up the lighting, like Dark Souls, and studios keep deleting all their source code and assets as soon as the project they're working on is done. There are no good remasters.
D2R is good too.
What the fuck man? No it isn't. Just to be clear, you're talking about Diablo 2 Assfucked edition right? It's not even a good remake, with heavy censorship, all the characters looking like washed up drug addicts. They turned the assassin into fucking Kim Jong-Un, the amazon to a tranny. A good remaster would just re-render the
1aac52a5f26375866d4298nij7.jpg
03c5e1186e1a22d21881ei9iqp.jpg
7d58e73d0d5a21292740183f3f.jpg
9b08dd2dae3ced34c648dvrdhs.jpg
35d9254c60f3e8b37f1a241f9q.jpg
42d97c5c9dc59bebb8c013ncxn.jpg
66de9bac3c1efaaf66ef3c5cxe.jpg
90c3fc1791d7337a8bab5igd7w.jpg
90d0c828b925712198d89dffu9.jpg
32220ac59e1896800ad78fqfgx.jpg
aebd47a0f3f70afcfe18askf9k.jpg
b7dac5d0dc4e628a1d73fpdih0.jpg
b14688028b6a0c3e3d54evuinh.jpg
be1b1b0ddf9edde55133dj6fn3.jpg
c8e69636e6e49beac99d9v0dbl.jpg
d73df3e535bc66a42ca64sqc9x.jpg
df6b7aada82c1a1683c6291do0.jpg
e305c8fa5bd9630a5927d2ecql.jpg
render06emcz0.jpg
Except they coudln't, since they were all lost just before Diablo 2 was released and they had to scramble to fix what survived the data corruption with duct tape and glue. We had a thread about how ugly the remake was but gamers have goldfish memories and will eat any goyslop they're served in time.

Someone tag me when a good remaster is posted in this thread.

Arbiter

Scholar
Despite giving an explanation of what a
also re-master, by 1967 of a recording, from re- "back, again" + master (n.) "original of a recording." Meaning going back to the original assets used to put together the media product again.
is above it seems that most retards can't read and don't know what words mean.

By this logic games with pixel art cannot be remastered, only games with pre-rendered sprites. UI that uses any hand drawn bitmaps cannot be remastered either.

What the fuck man? No it isn't. Just to be clear, you're talking about Diablo 2 Assfucked edition right? It's not even a good remake, with heavy censorship, all the characters looking like washed up drug addicts. They turned the assassin into fucking Kim Jong-Un, the amazon to a tranny. A good remaster would just re-render the

I play D2R as a Sorceress and do not mind the redesign of that character. I could not care less about Amazon or Assassin. Remastered environments are great.

Except they coudln't, since they were all lost just before Diablo 2 was released and they had to scramble to fix what survived the data corruption with duct tape and glue. We had a thread about how ugly the remake was but gamers have goldfish memories and will eat any goyslop they're served in time.

It does not work that way, original models were designed to be rendered to tiny sprites and displayed in 640x480 or 800x600 resolution with 256 colors, hence the quality of those models with the exception of playable characters and some promotional materials is really bad. David Brevik confirmed this in an interview:

the assets for Diablo 2 are really ugly

Those models were also created with 23+ year old software, I am sure modern modelling software is more capable.

Turjan

Arcane
If you never played the three games and don't mind that it's an RPG-lite, the Legendary Edition can be a lot of fun. I played it not too long ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. That's true even for the much maligned ME3, because all the drama, as deserved it may have been during the launch year, doesn't really matter anymore. If you know that the final ending is, eh, not exactly great - which probably everyone has heard by now - it's quite enjoyable.

Iucounu

Educated
Are they any must have mods for legendary edition? from what I understand you can import your save from one game to another like in witcher
https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectlegendaryedition/mods/393
One of the most pointless virtue signally changes they made in the LE simply because the game is full of butt shots, it seems to be a quirk of the camera. But mouth breathing journos all wrote articles clutching their pearls over it and so it became a thing and LE devs were very loud and proud about "fixing" miranda in me2 whilst not doing the same for any other character.
I recall Miranda's butt shot only lasts a split second, hardly worth installing a mod for. The important thing is that LE removed it in the first place, and therefore needs to be punished for its hetero-puritanism.

9ted6

Educated
Never played ME is this best way to approach the series?

f0x9BDY.png

BioWare is a dead company, infiltrated then destroyed from within by the usual talentless activist-employees, drunk on their midwit Frankfurt School ideology. This is judging by the anti-white Tweets of activist Manveer Heir, which went completely unremarked while he was an employee
Bioware's been shit for a long time, but to their credit, didn't they fire him?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom