Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ME2 fail

Black

Arcane
Why is this in RPG discussion is beyond me.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
soldiers and later on basically everyone (armor upgrades) could get health regen in Mass Effect, so what is the big fuss about ? did most of the bashers even play the fucking game ?

the real issues with mass effect combat would be abilities like immunity (and to some extend barrier though immunity is worse) which at later level with proper gear turned into godmode - even in higher difficulties.

and no clue whats wrong with biotics, they were easily the most powerfull characters in mass effect 1 being able to pretty much render whole armies unable to fight back. vanguard/adept > anything else. soldiers/infiltrators were also pretty good, heck only class that would be remotely challenging d prolly be engineer.

of course a dumb "stay 3 seconds in cover to regain full health" mechanic would suck - but so do instant heal packs. hopefully there ll be some reasonable mechanic inbetween but unless overpowered biotics and immunity arent properly balanced its gonna be a cakewalk either way.

Durwyn

Prophet
Wow, dumbing ME even further down is a great achievement really.

Next step: dialogues

-Yes
-No
-Grab the collar

Silellak

Cipher
Durwyn said:
Wow, dumbing ME even further down is a great achievement really.

Next step: dialogues

-Yes
-No
-Grab the collar

Insert joke about Alpha Protocol in 3...2...

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Wyrmlord said:
Besides, it is not like there is a same group of people working on both animations and graphics as well as gameplay. The gameplay guys probably will be as they are, and the visual guys are working further on what they already made.
Same money is getting spent.

RK47 said:
The guns definitely need reload animations to distinguish how each weapon class works.
Apart from the fact that weapons effectively do not need to be reloaded in this universe, you're totally correct. The journal in ME1 explains that it sheers off tiny hunks of metal off of a larger dense chunk. You can shoot thousands of times before needing to reload.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Isn't it fascinating how so much imagination was put into explaining away the most unnecessary and most retarded aspects of the game, such as the infinite ammo, when that creative energy could have been poured into more character development, story, etc.? Then rework the combat and its mechanics to be a little more believable?

The end result would have been a more cerebral game.

Ah, but the age-old conflict between brain dead button mashing and actually having to think a little when entertaining yourself. Sad.

Just wait until we hit the next generation of gaming Mk. II. I'm willing to bet that the kids of today are going to be whiny about how dumbed down the games are in ten years or so.

De-evolution at it's finest, i'm sure.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Hey remember, we started with Pong... and this is probably where we are heading right now.

Raapys

Arcane
True, it does look like we're coming full circle, only this time we've got bloom.

obediah

Erudite
Raapys said:
True, it does look like we're coming full circle, only this time we've got bloom.

And more importantly you'll move the bar by flopping around on the living room floor. INNNOVASHUN!!111

Zomg

Arbiter
You could double the quality of ME just by taking out the containers and filler items.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Crispy said:
Isn't it fascinating how so much imagination was put into explaining away the most unnecessary and most retarded aspects of the game, such as the infinite ammo, when that creative energy could have been poured into more character development, story, etc.? Then rework the combat and its mechanics to be a little more believable?

The end result would have been a more cerebral game.

Ah, but the age-old conflict between brain dead button mashing and actually having to think a little when entertaining yourself. Sad.
It's terrible really. I actually think that it's a pretty good IP, and the races are some of the best archetyped that I've seen in a Sci-fi setting. They put all that shit in the journal that more or less just amounted to a bunch of text, and you go around drawing guns on people when they look at you funny as an example of 'gritty dialogue.' They could have spent that time writing some actual variance into the plotline and then following through, but of course that would take a lot more effort than simply telling a guy to toss together several pages of bullshit.

circ

Arcane
I think the races in ME 1 were pretty unimaginative considering what we're used to with stuff like Farscape, Star Trek and Star Wars. I liked the mole people guys, but the ugh Talis race were just dudes in suits with 3 fingers, and regular human tits. Spectre race guys were just dudes with feathers? And Asari were hermaphrodite blue people. Even Firefly with its Reavers gave off a more imaginative vibe and they were human. Oh well, you also had Krogan, which were just Klingons in frog suits. Or angry humans in frog suits. And some big oaf race that talked funny. Yeah no, the only race with any personality were the mole people.

But if ME 2 were to fix the races, it would just get weird. So there's another aspect there's no hope for.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
winme2.jpg

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Not that the game was complex by any stretch of the imagination, but I think all you pussies that are stuck on 'normal' difficulty complaining about the ease of combat really need to man up a little. 'Normal' is not hard. 'Normal' has been so easy my ten year old daughter can do it for the last ten years.

Man up.

thekdawg21 said:
Not that the game was complex by any stretch of the imagination, but I think all you pussies that are stuck on 'normal' difficulty complaining about the ease of combat really need to man up a little. 'Normal' is not hard. 'Normal' has been so easy my ten year old daughter can do it for the last ten years.

Man up.

I played on the highest difficulty available from the beginning (Veteran I think). It was still quite easy aside from a few good encounters (e.g. asari elder chick) and some cheap as fuck ones (charging suicidal missile bots). Games should have a level of difficulty instantly unlocked that challenges most all players. When I first played Ninja Gaiden, Normal mode tore me up as I learned the enemies/bosses/mechanics. I eventually beat it on Master Ninja. Warrior (Normal) in Ninja Gaiden 2 did the same, as I had to adjust to the new mechanics and vicious new foes. DMC3 and Shinobi didn't pull any punches either. I can count of plenty of games that actually had some good challenge on a default unlocked difficulty.

Plus, Mass Effect's increased difficulty just messes with numbers a bit. It doesn't make AI better, introduce new enemies, or alter game mechanics significantly. You win by (ab)using the same tactics as you did on lower difficulties.

RPG developers need to man the fuck up and release difficulty settings with balls.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
circ said:
I think the races in ME 1 were pretty unimaginative considering what we're used to with stuff like Farscape, Star Trek and Star Wars. I liked the mole people guys, but the ugh Talis race were just dudes in suits with 3 fingers, and regular human tits. Spectre race guys were just dudes with feathers? And Asari were hermaphrodite blue people. Even Firefly with its Reavers gave off a more imaginative vibe and they were human. Oh well, you also had Krogan, which were just Klingons in frog suits. Or angry humans in frog suits. And some big oaf race that talked funny. Yeah no, the only race with any personality were the mole people.

But if ME 2 were to fix the races, it would just get weird. So there's another aspect there's no hope for.
Ever heard of this thing called an appeal to ridicule? It's where you present things in a very ludicrous light and it makes people distaste them by virtue of your presentation, even though they aren't actually like what you are presenting them to be at all.

For one, I found it interesting that Humans aren't so darned cool in ME because they were the most adaptable and innovative. Rather, they are cool because certain individuals amongst them have an extreme level of potential and 'virtuosity' as the game puts it. The Salarians got to be the cool ultra adaptable and innovative race instead. Also, if anyone in the game is a contemporary of the Klingons, it's the Turians, because they are extremely hung up on martial discipline and social hierarchies. Of course, even they don't really fit the Klingon bill because they are also fond of personal freedom and self-determination as opposed to heredity. They work on meritocratic principles as opposed to blood ties and the lot, way unlike Klingons. The Krogan were much too primitive to be compared to Klingons as well, and had an entirely different culture. No orbital space travel, and more or less no sense of honor at all. Hell, it makes the point several times throughout the game that the species is more or less entirely disenfranchised and are finding low-skill jobs as guns-for-hire. It was a bunch of snapping turtles fighting for mating rights on a post-apocalyptic wasteland until the Salarians decided they would be useful in the war against the Rachni.

I will grant that the Quarians were stupid though, and Tali is a stupid character in general.

circ

Arcane
thekdawg21 said:

Man up.

Dude. I played it on insane after playing through whatever the one you had to play through to unlock that crap was. It was the same as easy. Other than some Geth encounters, specially the big missile Geth being a little tougher. That's some scale. Considering that insane in anything else will get you insta killed in the encounter often.

circ

Arcane
Kaiserin said:
circ said:

Ever heard of this thing called an appeal to ridicule? It's where you present things in a very ludicrous light and it makes people distaste them by virtue of your presentation, even though they aren't actually like what you are presenting them to be at all.

For one, I found it interesting that Humans aren't so darned cool in ME because they were the most adaptable and innovative. Rather, they are cool because certain individuals amongst them have an extreme level of potential and 'virtuosity' as the game puts it. The Salarians got to be the cool ultra adaptable and innovative race instead. Also, if anyone in the game is a contemporary of the Klingons, it's the Turians, because they are extremely hung up on martial discipline and social hierarchies. Of course, even they don't really fit the Klingon bill because they are also fond of personal freedom and self-determination as opposed to heredity. They work on meritocratic principles as opposed to blood ties and the lot, way unlike Klingons. The Krogan were much too primitive to be compared to Klingons as well, and had an entirely different culture. No orbital space travel, and more or less no sense of honor at all. Hell, it makes the point several times throughout the game that the species is more or less entirely disenfranchised and are finding low-skill jobs as guns-for-hire. It was a bunch of snapping turtles fighting for mating rights on a post-apocalyptic wasteland until the Salarians decided they would be useful in the war against the Rachni.

I will grant that the Quarians were stupid though, and Tali is a stupid character in general.

The fuck? It was all just shallow race bullshit. You'd have to be a goddamn LARPer to read that much into the races.

aries202

Erudite
-ehm-

I don't understand what you call an easy game...
To me, just defeating the two shapeshifting dragons in BG2 were not enough. I've read about Abizigal having more helpers in David Gaider's Ascencion mod. As for the races in ME and ME2, I think, they're OK.

As for doing away with medigel/medipack in ME2, I find this OK. Apparently you could just smear some medigel on your chest if you got hit; on your teammates, too. Removing medigel from ME2 will make the combat situations more intense, I find. You can't just put some mediggel on Shepard or his teammates, because they got hit....

The cover system is being reworked, too, making it better i.e. you will maybe take cover a little better than in Mass Effect 1...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom