Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ME3, as retarded as ever.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
This is a thread about ME3 discussion.

So far in ME3 Anderson will NOT be indoctrinated, because he was indoctrinated to begin with. Alas these were his superiors indoctrinated him to act like complete retard.
Jack would use clothes. That's major decline, Jack had always painting/tattoos instead of clothes, and now it looks like Jack behaves as if Jack would have some relations to Japanese culture.
A small child rescue. Yes it's at the begining. The evil Sheppard can tell him to rescue himself.

Specters multiplied everywhere.

Weapons would allow barrel swapping and other stuff.
New game+.
Skill trees.

Only soldier would be able to carry all weapons in his backpack.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Not to mention the ending that steals it's choices from the original Deus Ex.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
But is there an ending where Shepard becomes a Reaper?
Yes.

2rh4mfc.png

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Wait, what?

Anderson is a rigid bureaucrat to the bone, thus he can't be indoctrinated by something else because he was already indoctrinated by bureaucracy. (It's a subtle hint.)

As for endings... They said they would improve that script a little according to feedback, like: they are retarded, they received from forums.

Angthoron

Arcane
Wait, what?

Anderson is a rigid bureaucrat to the bone, thus he can't be indoctrinated by something else because he was already indoctrinated by bureaucracy. (It's a subtle hint.)

As for endings... They said they would improve that script a little according to feedback, like: they are retarded, they received from forums.
Oh, you're showing a subtlety angle for a BioWare game, I didn't expect that.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I just got done with the demo. The combat was actually a big step up from Mass Effect 2 - a bit faster and a bit less ducking behind cover all the time. Enemies are more aggressive and flank you etc. a lot more often. Weapons also feel powerful and melee is important, but not exactly imbalanced either, as you don't always insta-kill unless you level things up a lot. Enemies tend to be fairly dynamic and will do stuff like set up turrets or use shields to deflect your fire, use suppressing fire, and so on, which means you have to prioritize a bit when fighting. Honestly, it's still a bunch of corridors and boxes, but at least they've made them a bit more interesting to play in.

At the end of the day it's still a Gears of War clone as far as gameplay goes, but at least it's a decent one. However, past that? Eh. It was okay. The writing was, frankly, even more atrocious, badly-paced and stupid than I anticipated. It's ham-fisted at best and completely incoherent at worst. During the second segment of the demo, Shepard and crew are attacked by Cerberus, and then after surviving a twenty-minute firefight against a hundred of their goons, Shepard suddenly rushes over to one of their dying soldiers and goes "why are you here, Cerberus?" in the most cliche crappy detective movie way possible. I practically fell over laughing.

Characters like Wrex act completely out of character, as well, and Shepard's whole "I'm just a soldier" attitude is getting really fucking annoying because after saving the galaxy twice, you'd think he/she would have an arc. Instead we stick with the "average guy" archetype for the audience to project onto, with basically no personality whatsoever.

Visually it has great art direction, though Mass Effect seems to get a bit more bland and less colourful with each installment. However, while technically the game ran very smoothly for me, and played well, the actual visual bump is negligible except for some moderately improved lighting and generally just more of everything. More shakycam cutscenes, more bloom, more explosions, etc. It looks fine but the presentation is kind of getting stale, especially due to all the reused art assets. There's also a strange lack of background ambiance that kind of leaves some parts of the game sounding dead - the introductory sequence, for instance, nobody has any footsteps and there's very little background noise. Music is fine but not really anything different.

I dunno. Overall it's just meh. If someone took Mass Effect 2, improved the leveling a little bit and made the shooting a bit quicker and more responsive, you'd get Mass Effect 3. It's very, very obvious that they are churning these things out at a rapid pace and cutting corners in the process. The promise of more derpy, dumb story does not in the least make me interested in continuing - which is pretty telling considering that I was really into Mass Effect and wanted to see where it would go after the first game. I don't want to judge it too early, but I'm just not seeing a major leap and while it's fun, it's also extremely by the numbers and I just can't see myself putting money down for it until it's heavily discounted.

We really needed a new thread for the ME3 lulz.
I thought that was the LOL BioWare thread?

There's a bright side to ME3, as well: it will be the last in the Ass Erect series. An end of an era, bros. And we may finally let our imagination roam free as to what new Original Trilogy™ from Bioware will grace us with its emotionally engaging immersiveness. What unique Order of Elite Gentlemen will we have the choice to join? What Ancient Evil will decide to awaken? What surly veteran warriors and spunky thieves will inevitably aid us in our quest? And will we have the time for romance before this suicide mission is over? So many questions, so many possibilities...

Pegultagol

Erudite
Not going through all the trouble getting sicked with Origin, so it is basically a continuation of Bioware being indoctrinated by their own success. I hope the extra months they spent in shoehorning the multiplayer onto it was worth the trouble, let alone the leak.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
There's a bright side to ME3, as well: it will be the last in the Ass Erect series. An end of an era, bros. And we may finally let our imagination roam free as to what new Original Trilogy™ from Bioware will grace us with its emotionally engaging immersiveness. What unique Order of Elite Gentlemen will we have the choice to join? What Ancient Evil will decide to awaken? What surly veteran warriors and spunky thieves will inevitably aid us in our quest? And will we have the time for romance before this suicide mission is over? So many questions, so many possibilities...

Brah they are just going to announce a new ME trilogy.

New ME game every year! Waifu Madden!

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
During the second segment of the demo, Shepard and crew are attacked by Cerberus, and then after surviving a twenty-minute firefight against a hundred of their goons, Shepard suddenly rushes over to one of their dying soldiers and goes "why are you here, Cerberus?" in the most cliche crappy detective movie way possible. I practically fell over laughing.

Exactly why this is genius.

I played the demo, pretty much just copy-paste ME2 with some tweaks. It looks like it's back to taking itself seriously, with the piano and the blowing up of kids, hmm. In ME2 everything felt like it was a joke - the story was utter nonsense and the antagonists weren't really threatening, so you spent your time dicking around in your cool new ship, feeding your fish, being the usual psychotherapist to your party, changing your armor color to a fabulous pink - all of this shit made the game seem more tongue in cheek. Now that everything's going to hell, it's going to be so ridiculous to speak about my feelings with the furries, I can't fucking wait

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It looks like it's back to taking itself seriously, with the piano and the blowing up of kids, hmm. In ME2 everything felt like it was a joke - the story was utter nonsense and the antagonists weren't really threatening
Just because ME2 was hilariously badly written didn't stop it from taking itself very seriously most of the time. If anything it was far more grimdark than ME1.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It looks like it's back to taking itself seriously, with the piano and the blowing up of kids, hmm. In ME2 everything felt like it was a joke - the story was utter nonsense and the antagonists weren't really threatening
Just because ME2 was hilariously badly written didn't stop it from taking itself very seriously most of the time. If anything it was far more grimdark than ME1.

There is some very well done written stuff though. Pretty much all of Patrick Weekes stuff. Hell, most games have not had that much good written stuff in many games recently. But ultimately, ME is NOT a SERIOUS BUSINESS game, it was always advertised as a B Movie Soap Opera, and in that, The Mass Effect Team delivered.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex

Maybe I'm just so used to postmodern irony and self-derision that I see it everywhere, but I never said anything about the developpers intentionally taking this shit seriously or not, I couldn't care less. I care about me finding it funny. In fact if it took itself as seriously as you claim, it's exactly what makes the humour factor go through the roof. I don't need to explain humour to the audience now, do I? This isn't something I do. Now you're going to have to give me your lunch money or your head goes to the toilet, I'm sorry but this is middle school for you all over again

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Actually one of the devs said you should hang on to your ME3 saves for the future..so we'll be getting another Ass Effect eventually...What, you thought a Trilogy only has 3 parts? :troll:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
There is some very well done written stuff though. Pretty much all of Patrick Weekes stuff. Hell, most games have not had that much good written stuff in many games recently. But ultimately, ME is NOT a SERIOUS BUSINESS game, it was always advertised as a B Movie Soap Opera, and in that, The Mass Effect Team delivered.
Was that the stuff involving Mordin Solus? His character, arc and side mission are about a billion times more interesting and well-written than anything else in that game (or just about any other game I've played in the last 10 years for that matter). It's true that there are some good bits here and there (the Geth, again) so I'd be interested if the good stuff was the result of one guy's efforts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom