Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ME3, as retarded as ever.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought Jacob's loyalty mission was kind of cool. It was like an episode of Star Trek TOS - including the Captain Kirk-ian lecherous attitude towards women. :smug:

RPGMaster

Savant
Wasn't Jacob's loyalty mission basically about a savage black man holding a colony of women as sex slaves?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There is some very well done written stuff though. Pretty much all of Patrick Weekes stuff.
Mordin was pretty well done, definitely the most interesting Bioware NPC since forever (I think the only one that comes even close is Shale, but still a long way off). Legion was well written, with two problems: the whole Geth heretics concept was an utterly idiotic attempt at delivering "shages of grey" (hint: grey isn't necessarily better than B&W), and the fact you get him so late in the MQ, so unless you plan things VERY carefully you'll miss out on half his interactions (which is what happened to me).

But ultimately, ME is NOT a SERIOUS BUSINESS game, it was always advertised as a B Movie Soap Opera, and in that, The Mass Effect Team delivered.
I think the biggest problem with ME2 writing is that it actually tried to deviate from pure space opera derp, only to drown itself into much worse derp. ME1 pulled off every space opera cliche it could find, and if it wasn't for the fact they so blatantly ripped off Gateway I wouldn't have minded as much (though the "humans are special!" angle was also done very badly). But ME2 tried to distance itself from this with all the grimdark edgy SERIOUS BUSINESS. When it works, like with Mordin and Legion, it's great. When it doesn't work, like just about everywhere else (one of the worst offenders probably being Thane's loyalty mission. ugh. And Jacob's. Double-ugh) it's really, really bad. It looks like they're going for SERIUS again with ME3.

I can agree with that.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Wasn't Jacob's loyalty mission basically about a savage black man holding a colony of women as sex slaves?

yes
He also forgot to tell his son and the alliance about that, causing Jacoby to become emotionally scarred, essential fucking detail

also he supposedly becomes free and hassles you in ME3 if you don't give him the option to suicide :thumbsup:

racofer

Thread Incliner

yes
He also forgot to tell his son and the alliance about that, causing Jacoby to become emotionally scarred, essential fucking detail

also he supposedly becomes free and hassles you in ME3 if you don't give him the option to suicide :thumbsup:
Well... I'm glad I let his crew "take care" of him as I left the planet.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I thought there were only two options : kill him or take him

the more you know

Kz3r0

Arcane
Shit, I forgot Bethy is also working on a friggin' MMO. Any update on that?
Honestly a TES MMO seems the most sensible option for beth and its customers.
It will be UO all over again, people wasting more time in menial tasks in game than in their real job, what MMOs are all about after all.

Sacculina

Educated
Nowt wrong with a love story in itself. The issue is with Bioware games, IMO, as it relates to the romance aspect, is the sensiblity of the horribly written, nerd pandering, tacked on dating sim bullshit and the simultaneous pretense that it's somehow an example of serious storytelling. With better execution, as the central focus of a game - why not? Not that I would play a game like that, personally, but literature is full of fabulously meaningful love stories. And not that a love based video game would rise to the level of that literature, of course, but no game does. Good for what it is.

Agreed, and I would actually like to play a game like that, but I don't think any BioWare writer is capable of producing a romance that isn't an embarrassing caricature of human relationships. I'm not saying he doesn't have the talent to do something interesting (being Mordin Solus's writer is pretty :incline: in my book), but for me that means breaking with the BioWare romance archetype. That would very likely piss off the fans they eagerly pander to, so I don't see any chance of that happening.

SDeden

Novice
Source: http://blog.bioware.com/2008/11/05/romances-are-badass-p1/

Nowt wrong with a love story in itself. The issue is with Bioware games, IMO, as it relates to the romance aspect, is the sensiblity of the horribly written, nerd pandering, tacked on dating sim bullshit and the simultaneous pretense that it's somehow an example of serious storytelling. With better execution, as the central focus of a game - why not? Not that I would play a game like that, personally, but literature is full of fabulously meaningful love stories. And not that a love based video game would rise to the level of that literature, of course, but no game does. Good for what it is.

It'd be nice if the romances weren't so rushed.

Personally, I think romances are badass. As a gamer, I’d love to see a game whose main story was a love story (and which did not involve a tentacle-based minigame). The argument for awhile was that not enough gamers cared about these simulated relationships to have that be the main focus of the game, and that it would largely be a long bunch of conversations instead of a game. On the other hand, the new influx of story-focused gamers, combined with new advances in digital acting, make it entirely possible that a love story could succeed with modern fans.

Final Fantasy 8 is one big love story. :)

Sacculina

Educated
It'd be nice if the romances weren't so rushed.

Please clarify: 'Rushed' as in implemented hastily and without due care, or fulfilled too quickly in-game ('I flirted with you and I completed your quest, now let's rub our genitals against each other')?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I FULLY EMBRACE ME FOR ITS TOTAL LAMENESS AND SPACE OPERA AND WHATEVER

BUT I LOVE IT FOR WHAT IS IT BRO SOMETIMES I JUST WANT TO HIT AN AWESOME BUTON OR SLAP A BITCH

K9doggie

Novice
Mass Effect 3's writing isn't all that much worse than the first game, is it? On Noveria, we had this little gem.
"Goodnight, little wing, I will see you again with the dawn! *collapses* No light? They always said there would be..." *dies*
But everything else was pretty cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom