Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid Δ (Snake Eater Remake) - PC/PS5/Xbox confirmed to use original voice files

Ezekiel

Arcane
^Check out 17:40 and then 17:44. Though there is a way to lower the gun still, the YouTuber who obviously is quite acquainted with the series finds it so inconvenient and unnatural that he chooses instead to put the gun away. That's what we lost with the removal of pressure sensitive face buttons.

Edit: Oh, he talks about it at 18:00.

toughasnails

Shame about MGS1 being just a straight dump of the PSX version (and not even an optimal choice of PSX version). Retro purists will likely defend this by claiming how game's visuals were built around the low resolution and CRT displays hiding the shortcomings but, honestly, the game holds up on high resolutions (especially today, with the fashion for low poly/retro 3D amongst the indie devs) and if any actual effort went into this they would've allowed for the choice between the original resolution and aspect ratio for the purist and the modern ones for the rest.

Üstad

Arcane
MGS5 was a good game with terrible ideas, like ditch that whole fulton and base build thing, instead just let us get limited amount points from missions (no infinite side missions) and points would be used for new equipment and gadgets, it's simple, not abusable, not grindy and would provide a balanced gameplay. I know if a new MGS game is released they'll further invest on those retarded ideas, but it's so unnecesary, MGS3 survival system with the ideas I listed would much much better. But they stuck with those retarded ideas, they might even implement retarded character progression that lots of AAA game crap using nowadays.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Why do i have a feeling that the huge game size is because they kept every single region iso because it was easier then to rips subs/audio?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
^Check out 17:40 and then 17:44. Though there is a way to lower the gun still, the YouTuber who obviously is quite acquainted with the series finds it so inconvenient and unnatural that he chooses instead to put the gun away. That's what we lost with the removal of pressure sensitive face buttons.

Edit: Oh, he talks about it at 18:00.
I've played the PS2 and PS3 games, and although the pressure sensitive aiming works, it is still inconvenient and can lead to accidental shootings. Better off using a different button to aim, like in the rerelease versions.

lightbane

Arcane
I wonder if you could even port MGS4, it had some zany tricks graphics-wise IIRC.

toughasnails

You could port anything from that era, and with current console hardware you could really brute force a lot so you needn't have the sort of losses as in lower tier 7th era HD ports of PS2/Xbox games. It's just that that would require actual effort and investments, and it is obvious that Konami intended to spend as little as possible on these rereleases.

BTW this is likely why we aren't seeing the similar rerelease for Silent Hill games in anticipation of the incoming revival. They wouldn't reuse the HD collection versions of 2 and 3 for obvious reasons so that would mean brand new ports (and a port of 4 if the wanted to round them up). And it doesn't appear that they are willing to invest in that...

Ezekiel

Arcane
Browsed Steam and was pleasantly surprised that MGS2 and 3 can be bought separately. Will wishlist and wait for a good price.

Edit: Reviewers are saying it's locked at 1280x720. Will see if they update it, but it might be better to emulate.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Regarding the PC version of MGS3 in the Master Collection, it's totally possible to mod custom resolutions beyond 1280x720 that this port offers. For some reason the resolution is hardcoded in the executable, if you use a hex editor you can change it, here are 1080p screenshots: You just open the executable through a hex editor and find the correct resolution values that the game uses (1280x720), then you change it to the desired one.
F9OniR2acAA4-Ey
better?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
How's the KB + M controls?

Regarding the PC version of MGS3 in the Master Collection, it's totally possible to mod custom resolutions beyond 1280x720 that this port offers. For some reason the resolution is hardcoded in the executable, if you use a hex editor you can change it, here are 1080p screenshots: You just open the executable through a hex editor and find the correct resolution values that the game uses (1280x720), then you change it to the desired one.
This is like the original Dark Souls port all over again...

Ezekiel

Arcane
I would rather emulate. Bluepoint's versions that were ported were compromised anyway. Does anyone know of a way to add pressure sensitive cancellations such as lowering the gun and not slitting their throats on any of the emulators with a regular controller?

I would rather emulate. Bluepoint's versions that were ported were compromised anyway. Does anyone know of a way to add pressure sensitive cancellations such as lowering the gun and not slitting their throats on any of the emulators with a regular controller?
You can bind the pressure-sensitive buttons to l2 and r2 (which are pressure sensitive triggers on every modern controller)

Ezekiel

Arcane
You can bind the pressure-sensitive buttons to l2 and r2 (which are pressure sensitive triggers on every modern controller)
I figured out it out. I will use profile 2 on my controller to assign Square and Circle to both Y and A and the triggers and switch L2 and R2 to P2 and P1, the back buttons. That way I can still use the face buttons as intended for most actions but use the triggers if I need to use pressure sensitive actions. Never used those back buttons until now. Seems you switch profiles by simply pressing the button below the Nintendo star.

mgs2.jpg

Ezekiel

Arcane
Not working. Must be a pressure sensitivity option somewhere in the emulator that I'm not finding, maybe unlocked with other plugins. I'm aware that in the screenshot I have the wrong buttons assigned. That was my confusion between Nintendo and Xbox. Already fixed it. Problem is that I can't press the trigger lightly and then lower the gun.

Pain in the ass.

Last edited:
Not working. Must be a pressure sensitivity option somewhere in the emulator that I'm not finding, maybe unlocked with other plugins. I'm aware that in the screenshot I have the wrong buttons assigned. That was my confusion between Nintendo and Xbox. Already fixed it. Problem is that I can't press the trigger lightly and then lower the gun.

Pain in the ass.
Have you tried changing the pressure threshold in the pad options in RPCS3?

Ezekiel

Arcane
I've only played Demon's Souls with RPCS3. Wasn't aware that people use it to play PS2 games. Demon's Souls' first area is just black now when I play it again two years later now (Wasn't planning to play it again so soon anyway, but just wanted to see.) and PS2 ISOs are not showing when I navigate to them with "Add Games," and I can't drag them in either. Will try it some other time.

I wonder why they aren’t. Fox Engine seemed good. MGSV still looks great today. It’s an engine they’ve worked with before. And there was even stuff they could do in that engine, that they show off in preview footage, that didn’t make it into MGSV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom