Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Metaphor: ReFantazio Thread - Atlus JRPG by Persona Veterans

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
This one wins for the more stupid tripe title in human history.

EvilWolf

Learned
Metaphor Reply Fantasy, a lot less tripe and stupid than Persona 5: Tactica. What even is a tactica? When I first saw news about it, I thought the guy made a typo trying to get the story out quickly.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Metaphor Reply Fantasy, a lot less tripe and stupid than Persona 5: Tactica. What even is a tactica? When I first saw news about it, I thought the guy made a typo trying to get the story out quickly.
Latin for Tactics?

Don't see how thats any worse than Fantazio. And Fantazio has the Re right before it which makes it worse tbh.

Last edited:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
OK let's try to list the sheer number of gameplay strengths persona has that are worth replicating

- collecting demons is nice
- chill beats

deuxhero

Arcane
Nah, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days still wins because "Metaphor: ReFantazio" is at least readable without prior instruction. If you didn't already know, there's no way to know it's meant to be read "Three-Five-Eight Days over Two", referring to something about accelerated passage of time/relieved memories/don't even bother with this franchise. It isn't even written as a fraction with the 358 over the 2 in the logo, it really is just written "slash two", and even if it was it doesn't plain how the hell "days" gets said in the middle instead of the end or both.

This video goes over some things from the recent livestream Atlus did on the games. Not much new was shown, but there was some new stuff shown in the background that gets pointed out in the video.

The interview section from the livestream with the creators is below.

Latin for Tactics?

Don't see how thats any worse than Fantazio. And Fantazio has the Re right before it which makes it worse tbh.

It seems that the written language in the game’s fantasy world is Esperanto. Googling “Fantazio” back when the game was announced showed that, and I didn’t really think much of it then, but apparently Esperanto is used for all the writing in the games...outside of the dialogue text anyways.

I can’t remember exactly where it was I first heard about Esperanto. But I do remember seeing some documentary, I think in like the mid to late ‘90s, where it was mentioned William Shatner shooting a movie in Esperanto.

Melmoth

Educated
It's still really unclear to me how japan replaced a 90s aesthetic of total overwhelming doom and gritty biomechanical horror with a love for heterochromic magical girls, airy pastries and meaningless academic settings that betray an infatuation with strictures and hierarchy for their own sake

edit: sorry wrong thread

vota DC

Augur
Almost 8 years in development and the best game Atlus can make is fantasy Persona with questionable art direction.
Maybe It will be a reversed persona

Thou art my enemy... And I am thy enemy...
Thou hast established a genuine foe...
These genuine foes... shall give you more enemies and more honor.
We bestow upon thee the ability to
fight Rabbi, the ultimate form
of the Je(w)ster Arcana...

Viata

Arcane
It's still really unclear to me how japan replaced a 90s aesthetic of total overwhelming doom and gritty biomechanical horror with a love for heterochromic magical girls, airy pastries and meaningless academic settings that betray an infatuation with strictures and hierarchy for their own sake

edit: sorry wrong thread
Anime used to be full of sci-fi. Sadly that was not selling well anymore, to the point they had to change to whatever please otaku if they wanted to keep alive. In a way, Otaku-aimed anime saved the anime industry there, so now they keep making this shit over there.

Anime is still full of sci-fi.
Not like in the 80s. Not even close.

I’m going to say that’s probably not true at all given how much anime is produced every year. Like pre Toonami, pre late ‘90s, if you were watching anime outside Japan you were maybe watching the same handful of ‘80s and ‘90s stuff everyone else was...and a few Tatsunoko shows from the ‘60s and ‘70s that weren’t even marketed over here as anime.

If you want to watch sci-fi anime, it’s been pretty easy to find new sci-fi anime for the last 23 years.

Now, there aren’t anime movies and straight to video OVA stuff (which would get shown like movie on Sci-Fi Channel) like there was during Japan’s boom economy of the ‘80s and ‘90s. But there’s tons of anime shows being made now, and it’s easy to find sci-fi shows. Netflix’s recent Pluto anime kind of feels like an OVA that just all got dropped at once given every episode of that show is feature length. Every year since 2000 probably has a few good sci-fi things that come out of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom