Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Mimimi Games shutting down

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Hope I can still refund that atrociously ugly pirate game they just put out. I only bought it in the hopes they'd release something appealing next.

Roguey I don't know if there's dangerhair stuff in the latest game, I haven't played it. But Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3 seemed pretty free of it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey I don't know if there's dangerhair stuff in the latest game, I haven't played it. But Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3 seemed pretty free of it.
Things change.
Mimimi went from
031975c83099286b46e50b7dfac67f3637fd8b884ca065315ba2ed04ddacc61b.jpg

and
EapjJW9XgAAxlrm

to
capsule_616x353.jpg

You have misunderstood me. They went from (masculine Japanese guys and feminine women) and (masculine mostly-white men and feminine women with a token black) to (cartoony prominent strong black woman leader with her stoic and strong female friends and goofy male underlings). Vibe shift.

Fargus

Arcane
Their last game looked like fucking woke garbage if anything the typical zoomer coloring on that artwork alone made me puke.

Good riddance.

Desperados 3 already had tons of female gunslingers. The game was alright though.

spectre

Arcane
Current-day politics brainrot overreaction again?
The game's only vice in this regard is oversaturation with female characters - the main protagonist is female (and is being slightly annoying, I'll give them that),
the ship is female, but that's a long standing martime tradition, the chief antagonist in also female which makes it a... clamshell party? Whatever's the opposite of a sausagefest.
Is that "woke"? I don't think so. I haven't seen ALL the conversations, but I've yet to see them get preachy, play the victim card for race or gender.

You could argue about there being so many female pirates and none of them being in the kitchen, but I reckon one good look at the cover will tell you that the realism train is long gone
on this one. I also disagree that it's about stronk women with goofy dudebros as sidecaracters. All crewmembers are equally goofy and capable, but if you absolutely want,
you can revive the guys first and only take them on missions and will probably be able to finish the game with no problems.

You can still get the game to, I don't know, just play it
"Getting" is always and option, I was talking about purchasing and this is always a deliberate decision for me: what I'm getting for it and who gets my money.
The latter part just got a bit problematic.
What a weird way of thinking
How is it weird? I want to pay money and I'm asking myself the question: where does it even go?
The money won't support further games from mimimi because the studio is dissolved. Deal is done and is apparently irreversible. They're literally selling their furniture.
They also said in their press release that the team got their bonuses paid out and are apparently all cared for,
so anything I pay doesn't contribute to a higher crack budget to the 3d technican, nor will it be funding the next installement on the lead designer's mercedes.
What follows, my money (as insignificant an amount as it may be) goes to the middlemen. Well fuck those.

catfood

AGAIN
Their latest game had a she-boon as the main character, things could have only went downhill from here on out, so it's better that they closed the studio to spare us of further ESG cringe shit.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
They say that it has become too risky to produce niche games like this.
But over the last couple of years, Shadow Tactics made an estimated 25 million in revenue.
Shadow Gambit was less successful but with an estimated 1.2 million in revenue (since April), it is still in Steam's upper 5%.

I have the feeling that this is part of the general economic downturn in Germany.
It was already expensive to produce there but with consistently high energy prices it probably became unsustainable.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Current-day politics brainrot overreaction again?
The game's only vice in this regard is oversaturation with female characters - the main protagonist is female (and is being slightly annoying, I'll give them that),
the ship is female, but that's a long standing martime tradition, the chief antagonist in also female which makes it a... clamshell party? Whatever's the opposite of a sausagefest.
Is that "woke"? I don't think so. I haven't seen ALL the conversations, but I've yet to see them get preachy, play the victim card for race or gender.

You could argue about there being so many female pirates and none of them being in the kitchen, but I reckon one good look at the cover will tell you that the realism train is long gone
on this one. I also disagree that it's about stronk women with goofy dudebros as sidecaracters. All crewmembers are equally goofy and capable, but if you absolutely want,
you can revive the guys first and only take them on missions and will probably be able to finish the game with no problems.
Impressions are everything. They went from historical games with masculine men and feminine women to mobile-trash-looking fantasy with masculine women and effeminate-looking men. Shadow Tactics had a peak player count of 5037, Desperados III had 6057, Shadow Gambit had 3930. Tens of thousands were repulsed by the concept.

spectre

Arcane
So, a bunch of dumdums got filtered by the box art? Sucks to be them.
The game's no planetescape tournament, but it's always funny when it happens.

Elttharion

Learned
Mixed feelings about this. I had a lot of fun with Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3 and even bought their DLCs at full price at release to support them. Unfortunately I skipped their last game because I dont care for the setting and you cant pay me enough to play a game with a black woman protagonist. I also saw that they race swapped the ginger protagonist in favor of the black woman we ended with and they consulted with 'sensitivity experts' for this game so that also made me decide to make me at best wait for a deep sale. Its better that it ends like this with a couple of good/great games than see they slowly get worse and more pozzed with time.

Shadow-Gambit.jpg

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Unfortunate.

But as pointed out they seem not to understand who the heck played their games to begin with Shadow Gambit.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
They say that it has become too risky to produce niche games like this.
But over the last couple of years, Shadow Tactics made an estimated 25 million in revenue.
Shadow Gambit was less successful but with an estimated 1.2 million in revenue (since April), it is still in Steam's upper 5%.

I have the feeling that this is part of the general economic downturn in Germany.
It was already expensive to produce there but with consistently high energy prices it probably became unsustainable.

I can't imagine the energy prices have much of anything to do with it, it isn't like they run a foundry or a server farm here, it's a game developer.

If anything the issue is probably that they're located in the most expensive city in Germany, and one of the most expensive cities in Europe. Even so, there are clearly more expensive cities that game studios run just fine in.

The simple explanation here is probably that they both expanded and went in the wrong direction for their first self published game in a very precarious and stressful industry. They needed this to be a bit of a hit to secure a revenue stream to fund future games, since their money from their previous successes mostly went to publishers. At least none of them burned out like Leonard Boyarsky.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Their latest game had a she-boon as the main character, things could have only went downhill from here on out, so it's better that they closed the studio to spare us of further ESG cringe shit.
Criticizing ESG shit makes Infi upset for some reason.

Chris Avellone was right about Infinitron.

Lol yeah I'm sure Chris Avellone disagrees with me.

Let me be emphatic: FUCK anybody who responded to this thread with "good riddance". You've completely lost the plot.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Let me be emphatic: FUCK anybody who responded to this thread with "good riddance". You've completely lost the plot.
Let me be emphatic too: FUCK any company that supports and promotes ESG shit.

I'm sure I've completely lost the plot of sucking up to developers, since ESG and wokeness are only "minor issues". Or maybe you do not see them as issues at all.

Fargus

Arcane
Pretty sure he doesn't because he's been like that forever. Jews will be jews.

The only thing that upsets me is that all these ESG and useful idiot devs cant perish simultaneously.

:Flash:

Arcane
How is it weird? I want to pay money and I'm asking myself the question: where does it even go?
The money won't support further games from mimimi because the studio is dissolved. Deal is done and is apparently irreversible. They're literally selling their furniture.
They also said in their press release that the team got their bonuses paid out and are apparently all cared for,
so anything I pay doesn't contribute to a higher crack budget to the 3d technican, nor will it be funding the next installement on the lead designer's mercedes.
What follows, my money (as insignificant an amount as it may be) goes to the middlemen. Well fuck those.
The money doesn't get stuck in steam, it'd go to the shareholders of the company, probably the founders (+x, depending on circumstances)
Normally what you do is that you let the company continue to exist as an empty shell and collect the revenue. You don't officially wind it down, you just get rid of all expenses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom