Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monster Hunter 3

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Did anyone else get it? It's my first time playing the series, as I was a bit iffy in the past over the fact that the game is just grinding just for the sake of grinding, but I'm glad that I gave it a go. Very fun game. It's actually something I've always dreamed of. An action game where nearly every single monster is a bad mofo instead of being just simple trash (if we don't count the little animals).

Anyway, I'm playing a Lancer at this moment. I do pretty well with it, but it's rather dull. I love Lances, but the simple "stab, stab, stab" gameplay isn't what I would exactly call exciting. Before Lances I used a Switch Axe, and found it to be fun, but wanted to try something else. I might try going GS or Hammer next. Gotta find that weapon meant for me, eh?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yeah, sucks about the online thing. Would be nice to do some runs with fellow kkkodexers. On the other hand, at least we don't have to pay a monthly sub to play MH3 online, unlike the jappos.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
What version will you be getting? Most people I know getting it are in the US, so I'm probably going to download NTSC, but I know a few UKers getting it and I'll have a better connection with PAL players anyway.

Heresiarch

Prophet
MH for the TV consoles are just big demos. The true fun comes with the PSP version.

MH3 is too short if you don't play it online (100 hours and you've got all the best equipments). Even online doesn't offer much except two super bosses.

anomie

Scholar
Castanova said:
Is the game worth getting if you don't play online at all?

Yes, I have 150 hours on PSP version and I'm not even far into the game at all(I'm still doing quests for the old lady I think, I'm a slow player though). PSP version hurts my wrists very much though after a few hours.

It's just a grinding game, except less mindless killing, a pretty good crafting system, and some decent gathering; but what really makes it great is that it's very challenging.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Castanova said:
Is the game worth getting if you don't play online at all?

Both Wii and PSP (MHP3 is supposed to come out at the end of the year though) MHs are worth getting. Especially if you're new to MH, then even MH3, despite seriously lacking in single player content compared to say MHP2, will give you tons of fun and challenging combat enough to last at least a couple hundreds of hours.

If you're a veteran though MH3 is pretty meh single player wise, as the early bosses are very easy to kill for experienced players, and the truly challenging bosses are far too few. And the best three monsters can't be fought offline.

So yeah, play the Wii version and enjoy the underwater combat for now, and enjoy the PSP version later when it comes out.

anomie

Scholar
I should clarify that I play Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (sure wish NA releases would use the same fucking name as JP releases). It's the only Monster Hunter I've played, so idk how it is compared to other stuff. I also only play single player, and it's got tons of shit to do.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Haven't played this since the servers for the first one on PS2 went offline. Fucking awesome game.

It's grindy, but the only thing that changes as you grind is you get cooler looking gear and shit to fight with slightly better stats. It's not like a normal MMO where 90% of the content is missing until you hit level 9999 or whatever. A skilled enough player geared out in total shit can beat most of the same crap an elite player can- it just takes a lot more swings and better dodging, since you can't survive or block that extra swing.

Speaking of; if there's too much lag in your connection you'll be fucked in the tougher fights. Lots of 1HKO attacks from the bigger badass monsters.

Some of the later missions are brutal too; I still remember the powder stone mission. You have to carry fragile boulders from a fucking volcano while a shit ton of monsters try to kill you and your buddies. And it has a short timer. Also there's like 2 wyverns on top of all the little shits, and one hit from anything destroys the stone you're carrying, which makes you slow as fuck while you carry it and prevents fighting.

I hope they've improved the real bigass monster fights since then. Lao was a cool idea, but you spent most of the fight jabbing his ankles or chin. Needed more cool parts like the jumping onto his back from the cliff to carve off chunks.

Edit: I guess it bears explaining that the reason I like the game so much is that it's pretty much the only skill based MMO. You join a mission with random people, and the only reason you'll die is if you suck. So when you get good, you run around like a total badass and rape monsters while dodging between their claws with perfect timing, while everyone around you fumbles and gets bashed to shit while being amazed at your skill. I still recall this one guy I played with in a mission with 2 pretty much identical wyverns to kill at once. Normally you 4 man gangbang each one in turn. This guy ran off and solo'd one before we (3 of us) got the other one down. I followed him into the same mission again and watched him fight. So fucking cool. Only part I rage over is that missions fail and are ranked on team deaths, not your individual death. So if one moron dies twice, the whole team gets a shit rank (His is slightly worse) and if he dies 3 times it outright fails. Maybe they changed that since then, dunno.

Heresiarch

Prophet
anomie said:
I should clarify that I play Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (sure wish NA releases would use the same fucking name as JP releases). It's the only Monster Hunter I've played, so idk how it is compared to other stuff. I also only play single player, and it's got tons of shit to do.

What I was saying is actually comparing Wii's MH3 to PSP's MHP2G. The game length in MH3 is very short. You can get only village missions if you don't go online. And even if you do, 95% of the monsters you can see online are the same as the offline ones. Doesn't mean MH3 sucks though - if you're new to the series, it IS still very fun and very CHALLENGING (a rarity these days).

Too short... just a demo... 100 hours? wtf is this?

MH is more or less a love it or hate it game. People who dislike it (like the gamespot reviewers) won't play it for more than 6 hours. People who like it will be addicted and it's common for them to drop down over 500 hours on it.

Destroid

Arcane
DamnedRegistrations said:
Only part I rage over is that missions fail and are ranked on team deaths, not your individual death. So if one moron dies twice, the whole team gets a shit rank (His is slightly worse) and if he dies 3 times it outright fails. Maybe they changed that since then, dunno.

I would imagine it is that way to prevent exploits like using one character to eat all the damage and deaths giving free kills to the other characters.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Kicking the person from the group when they die once or twice would accomplish the same thing without screwing the skilled people. It also doesn't really prevent people from freeloading either, as long as the group is good enough to survive with 1 person doing nothing the whole time (Which is often the case anyways.)

I guess, if anything, it discourages being overly cautious at least. Would be really fucking lame to have everyone else only poking the thing once every toher minute while you're going rambo on it's ass and having them get the same or better reward because they never got hurt.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sounds interesting but I'm guessing they never made a PC version?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
I got the wii version today, and I've been playing it a bit. It's fun, and, surprisingly, kind of hard.

Yeah. I was expecting it to be harder at first since I remember people bitching how it is impossible to do anything alone, and so far I've been managing quite well without many failures. But now the game is starting to kick me in the testicles.
I was doing a mission where I had to hunt 20 Baggi's when suddenly GIGGINOX OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE DROPS RIGHT ON TOP OF ME FROM THE CEILING. It's hilarious how badly a new monster can fuck your shit up when you aren't prepared or expecting it.

Yeah, the combat takes a bit of getting used to. I feel like such a console newfag, but I guess I've gotten used to auto-lock in my action games. Still, it seems really easy to connect and play online... I really wouldn't have expected this game from the Wii.

jedc53

Novice
Its a pretty popular game in Japan.Monster Hunter 1 was on ps2,MH2 was on ps2, but was never released.They should make it for PS3.I'd actually play it again.This game graphics are good and sounds are also best.I loaded MH3 from USB loader in my pal wii, I got green screen and it.

Wow, I thought I knew what was up and was getting the hang of it, so I jump online.

I get fucking crushed and single-handedly ruin the hunt for the party. Back to single player and learning the ropes for awhile.

Paperclip

Liturgist
The Monster Hunter series is probably one of the best game(s) I've ever played. I dropped tons of time on MH2 (Japanese). Too bad I can't play the newest iteration :(

Is the community still very hardcore and harsh to newcomers? Though they (we) were very productive at that time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom