Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monster Hunter 3

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Paperclip said:
The Monster Hunter series is probably one of the best game(s) I've ever played. I dropped tons of time on MH2 (Japanese). Too bad I can't play the newest iteration :(

Is the community still very hardcore and harsh to newcomers? Though they (we) were very productive at that time.

The community can be harsh, and it can also be stupid. Nothing like some faggot complaining about your weapon of choice, and then smacking you around with a hammer because he's completely incompetent with it.
It's pretty herp derp most of the times with strangers.

Paperclip

Liturgist
Hobo Elf said:
Paperclip said:
The Monster Hunter series is probably one of the best game(s) I've ever played. I dropped tons of time on MH2 (Japanese). Too bad I can't play the newest iteration :(

Is the community still very hardcore and harsh to newcomers? Though they (we) were very productive at that time.

The community can be harsh, and it can also be stupid. Nothing like some faggot complaining about your weapon of choice, and then smacking you around with a hammer because he's completely incompetent with it.
It's pretty herp derp most of the times with strangers.

Sorry I mean the GameFaqs forum community. There was practically no other MH forum at that time.

Tried a not removed from inventory version. Can't say I'm all that impressed so far. I can't stand the ridiculous wind up times on all my weapons. This shit was ridiculous in Demons Souls and its 5x worse here, as you hit attack and your guy slowly raises his weapon like it weighs 50 pounds, then just drops it on an enemy. Weapons that attack decently fast, on the other hand, display other tradeoffs that feel like they were put in just to make you rage at how unwieldy your character is. It feels like battles are less a test of skill and more a test of memorizing each enemies attack animation so you know exactly when to start your attack, essentially turning the game into a quicktime event. Also, Wii controls suck major donkey cock.

Does it get better or is it just more of the same?

Paperclip

Liturgist
I actually enjoy the lance quite a bit (testing out weapons in the arena). By far the best weapon in terms of actually feeling and being used like it should be. The problem is that my main weapon atm is the great sword (or maybe its long sword? I'm not entirely sure) and its ridiculous. The fastest way to attack is to actually put away your weapon and then use the weapon drawing animation to attack. I feel like a retard putting the weapon away 10x per battle just so I don't have to sit through an attack animation long enough for me to make a cup of coffee. Never mind the fact that you can't move more then 5 feet with the blade in your hand during battle as your character hobbles around like a 100 year old man at the pace of a snail, yet as soon as you put the sword on your back you can magically sprint at 10x speed.

BTW: Is there any PvP or is it all coop fighting monsters?

Paperclip

Liturgist
Can you do combos? In the previous versions, great swords can do unlimited combo, though they may not be still the same, I'm certain that you can dish out decent combos with them.

But yes, usually the draw is the fastest attack. And to move when you're holding a GS, roll. You only move with the weapon drawn when it's not restricting your walking/running speed.

I doubt if there's any PvP in this version because it was never implemented.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
No PvP in MH3. Not only would it fuck up the PvE balance if they tried to balance weapons for PvP also, but it's just fucking stupid how people always have a need to punch each other in the dick. Co-op is quite enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom