Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind is just a plain bad game

Wyrmlord

Arcane
He has one valid complaint there, and that is low population of enemies and NPCs in the game.

Other than that Morrowind is an unique and interesting experience. Quests may not be the best but they are only an excuse to explore the huge world of the game.
Having conceded that Morrowind has not many enemies to fight and not any compelling missions to do, this Morrowind fan comes to agreement with me.

The only difference between him and I is that the huge world is a big draw for him and it's not that big a draw for me. So the conversation ends there.

See guys? Was that so hard?

GordonHalfman

Scholar
By the way, this sleeping aid works successfully on everyone I know. My cousin, my brother, my college classmate.

Wow you know more people than me. Though I mostly agree that Bethesda had some strange priorities when making Morrowind, you'd think they could have cut some of the landmass to hire someone to check that the gameplay was even vaguely challenging.

I'm not a fan of the "OMG gIAnt MushrOOms ITZ so edgey!" brand of criticism, you could say similar things about any RPG ever made if you don't want to get into the spirit of things.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Pretty effective troll, son.
I agree with him though, I mean christ, this game *is* boring. The world and lore is cool and all, but most of the quests are bad, the gameplay is not only clunky but badly balanced, and so on. You spent half your time grinding skills - if that isn't boring, I don't know what it is. I'd still hold on that Skyrim is the superior game, at least it provides some challenge. Yeah, twist your panties, what do I give a shit

Well he certainly has a point, the game world is excessively large and barely populated, leaving you with huge masses of plain terrain to walk over to get virtually any were, which I find quite dull. Having a quest that consists of 15 minutes of walking to a cave, 10 minutes to go through it and then another 15 minutes of walking to get back is just plain terrible. The fact that combat is absolutely terrible doesn't help either.
The exploration/lore setting is pretty well done though, little things like being able to find clues on how to find certain items through reading books and such is a fairly nice addition, but not enough to salvage the rest.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
For me the most negative thing about Morrowind was the static NPCs. There are plenty of mods that make combat more challenging, and increase the numbers of NPCs and creatures, but none that make NPCs react to what is happening around them. And the only mod I know about that gave the NPCs schedules was only a half measure, as it's impossible to make the NPCs actually walk from one area to another, so they just "magically" appeared instead.

GordonHalfman

Scholar
For me the most negative thing about Morrowind was the static NPCs. There are plenty of mods that make combat more challenging, and increase the numbers of NPCs and creatures, but none that make NPCs react to what is happening around them. And the only mod I know about that gave the NPCs schedules was only a half measure, as it's impossible to make the NPCs actually walk from one area to another, so they just "magically" appeared instead.

It's particularly annoying when trying to do stealth quests. I remember one or two where you have to steal something from an NPC who spends their entire existence staring at the thing you want.

I always want to make a wizard-assassin build when playing TES games, since it sounds so great from reading the manual. I think it would be cool to infiltrate a guarded tower by turning invisible and then levitating to a window. Then I'll use detect life spells to scan the movement of the guards, sneak up to the mark and silently kill them with a drain life spell before teleporting away.

Never works out though. It doesn't help that grinding the relevant skills takes forever, and by the time you've earned enough money to train them up to somewhere decent you're so godlike with a short blade you can kill anything without trying.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Issues with Morrowind:

- Low population. Feels like the entire island is devoid of any life, except...

- Cliffracers. :rage:

- Alchemy and Enchanting break the game.

- Too easy to get money to level up (Sword of White Woe, Creeper).

- Shitty direction from NPCs. (At one point for a quest, they tell you to go Northwest but you actually need to go Northeast. No wonder Bethesda loves their quest compass.)

- You move WAY TOO FUCKING SLOWLY WHEN YOU FIRST START OUT JESUS CHRIST MY GRANDMOTHER MOVES FASTER.

Bethesda really should have just tried to make Daggerfall 2.0 instead. Best games are Daggerfall and Skyrim so far. At least Morrowind is not a pile of shit like Oblivion.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Cliffracers were definitely a problem in the vanilla game. Not only were they annoying, but I got most of my 20 levels from fighting them.

Alchemy and Enchanting: if it's broken, don't use it.

Shitty directions: well, maybe they were trolling you? Or maybe it's just realistic? In real life people sometimes confuse east and west.

Yes it's pretty boring. I explored it a lot once, finished the main quest and both expansions. It was my first TES experience then and I enjoyed it, even though I did not play vanilla. But the thing is I could never ever replay it. Tried few times and I would always stop somewhere around Balmora. Just can't go through it anymore. That is a clear sign of a boring game to me. Any game that is actually fun will be fun the second time around too. Morrowind is more addictive than fun.
If I had to choose which is better, Morrowind or Skyrim, I'd say it's Skyrim as it's way more enjoyable vanilla than Morrowind. Still, it's a boring series which I doubt will ever become truly good. Maybe it was once, but I can't be arsed to play earlier TES games to find out.

GordonHalfman

Scholar
I tend to give RPGs a bit of latitude when it comes to using a few house rules to avoid broken stuff. Especially if it's simple stuff like "don't pick the enchant skill". Although to actually make Morrowind a challenge you would need a quite a few more house rules. Don't use potions, don't steal stuff, don't wear armour, stop attacking and let the enemy get in a few hits every now and then etc. Well maybe it's not that bad.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I'd still hold on that Skyrim is the superior game, at least it provides some challenge

Best games are Daggerfall and Skyrim so far.

If I had to choose which is better, Morrowind or Skyrim, I'd say it's Skyrim as it's way more enjoyable vanilla than Morrowind.

emperorGrins.jpg

Yes, yes, embrace the Fus Ro Dah.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Actually I do believe Wyrmlord is trying to tell us more about his fondness for NWN than he is his disdain for Morrowind.

Care to elaborate?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom