Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind is just a plain bad game

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I'm no fucking slut!

I see some underlying emotional issues here. When you were in high school, how did you perceive your level of popularity? Did you think you were a popular or unpopular teenager?

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
It's not that bad (I did play it for some 15-30 hours), but certainly, it's boring in the long run. Also, lack of balance and challenge is making it much less enjoyable than it could be.

It must be realistic since it's so fucking dull.
Yes, exploring based on given directions rather than quest compass is the strength of Morrowind when compared to Beth's later games. Unfortunately, I need something more than that to have fun.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
They see me trollin'
They ragin'
Moderatin'
they tryin' to catch me spamin'. derpy.
Tryin' to catch me spamin' derpy.

My memes so gratin'
I'm irritatin'
They prayin'
That they gon' catch me spammin' derpy.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This thread is pure fail without Draq all butthurt over how exceptional of a cRPG Morrowind is and then RAGE.

I never liked Morrowind either.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Actually I do believe Wyrmlord is trying to tell us more about his fondness for NWN than he is his disdain for Morrowind.

Care to elaborate?
Nope, I didn't enjoy NWN. That was the point. Not many things are worse than NWN OC. Morrowind is.

By the way, preferring Skyrim to Morrowind is not an endorsement of Skyrim's faults or a condemnation of Morrowind's strengths. We live in a world of trade-offs. This is for Commissar Draco.

Skyrim with Morrowind's direction system instead of compass would be great, for example. But we don't have that.

One of the few things that easily makes Skyrim more enjoyable is that you can run much much faster in it than in Morrowind. That's less time wasted and more time actually playing. If I am playing Morrowind for some purpose other than a sleeping aid, I press the Q button and the Caps Lock button, and then go to read a newspaper or a magazine. I come back to the computer if I hear combat noise. Does that even make sense? You have to occupy yourself with some other leisure task WHILE PLAYING A GAME? What the hell?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
hmmm NWN OC or Morrowind.. which is better and why?

Jebus. NWN OC was pure horrid fucking shit*. Morrowind is like the promised land of cRPG's compared to NWN OC.

*The Engine and Scripting and DM functions make NWN a FAR better cRPG than Morrowind. The OC was pure fucking shit however.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jaesun, didn't you say a while ago that you have not played Morrowind and you were asking DraQ why there was any reason you should?

I should mention that this topic was a nudge in your direction, basically hinting, "No, Jaesun, don't listen to DraQ, don't play Morrowind." ;)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jaesun, didn't you say a while ago that you have not played Morrowind and you were asking DraQ why there was any reason you should?

I should mention that this topic was a nudge in your direction, basically hinting, "No, Jaesun, don't listen to DraQ, don't play Morrowind." ;)

No, you remember incorrectly.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Just too bland to be enjoyed wholly. First 20 hours or so, yeah, cool. Lots of little niches here and there to explore. Then you kinda lost all kind of purpose once most fights are boring click fests and quest content is a really, really long fedex trip.

RK47

Patron
Every fucking person who thinks Skyrim is better than Morrowind is off my bro list forever.
Yes, maybe the setting and overall delivery of 'main plot' was less derp than Skyrim, but overall, do you think people ENJOYED the hiking in Morrowind after 10 hours in the game?
I had more fun grinding levels, pking people and chatting with a friend in lineage 2 when Morrowind came out. I gave the main quest a week before abandoning it, the lore itself was interesting, but the execution of long treks and forced recall markings bored the fuck out of me.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I think its time to come out of the closet: I bought Morrowind as soon as it came out, installed it and promptly dropped due to boredom. Only afterwards did I find it charming as a game about exploring and collecting rare items/making potions/crafting. In my opinion its an acquired taste.

I consider myself a Morrowind fan but I see flaws in the game I like. Its not perfect but I would definitely recommend it.

GordonHalfman

Scholar
The hiking is a strange thing to complain about, I thought the usual consensus was that the hiking/exploration was the only thing the ES games did well. What is it that people want it to do differently? My only criticism is that the base movement speed could have been doubled and no one would have complained.

The island couldn't be made that much smaller, apparently you can mod the game to remove the fog but most people don't like this because it's immersion breaking to see that major towns are actually only five hundred yards apart. The fast travel options are really extensive for getting to anywhere important. Every now and then you have to hike into a mountain wilderness to find a dungeon but that's like the whole point of the game. Lone wanderer, threatening wilderness, starry skies above, weird wildlife, oppressive ash storms, long forgotten ruins, all that shit.

If you're going to implement fast travel to anywhere then you might as well fuck the whole open world concept, just have a cut scene take you straight to Caius Cosades and then have another one take to the dwemer ruin and so on through the whole game.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I've defended Morrowind to my wits' end before and can't be bothered doing it again. I'll say one thing; I wouldn't like it as much as I did if it wasn't for nostalgia, and there's a good chance that the only reason I got into it was because of the amount of free time I had at the time. My free time is precious now, I can't remember the last time I reread a favourite book or replayed a favourite game and I still have a lot to wade through. Morrowind, if encountered for the first time, might present a timesink that I wouldn't be willing to invest in. I like to think it would - nostalgia aside, I still love the game - but I don't know.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, maybe the setting and overall delivery of 'main plot' was less derp than Skyrim, but overall, do you think people ENJOYED the hiking in Morrowind after 10 hours in the game?
I had more fun grinding levels, pking people and chatting with a friend in lineage 2 when Morrowind came out. I gave the main quest a week before abandoning it, the lore itself was interesting, but the execution of long treks and forced recall markings bored the fuck out of me.

Morrowind is far from great, but I certainly did enjoy the hikesim in an interesting setting with boring ARPG combat more than Skyrim's shitty dungeons, quests and shitty action combat.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The hiking is a strange thing to complain about, I thought the usual consensus was that the hiking/exploration was the only thing the ES games did well. What is it that people want it to do differently? My only criticism is that the base movement speed could have been doubled and no one would have complained.
This is the exact same position I hold. It's not the exploration. We all love exploration. It's the painfully slow walking speed.

RK47

Patron
yeah, I think everyone forgave Skyrim more cause going around felt less of a hassle, and people love to explore, it's just that when NOTHING of interest happens and you just kept running running running running running till the combat music plays and the dreaded cliff racer squawks overhead it gets on your nerves. Morrowind isn't a bad game, but I just don't like it enough to finish it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom