Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Most significant - Saving Tandi, or stopping the muties?

What do you think had the biggest impact in the world of Fallout?

• Total voters

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What do you think had the most significant impact on the world of Fallout?

The vault dweller saving Tandi from the raiders, so she and her father could form the NCR, and bring civilization and democracy™ to the wasteland?

Or.

The vault dweller defeating the master and his lackeys, stopping the mutant raids once and for all?

---

There are probably many more crucial moments in the lore, but I'm curious how these two options match up.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Stopping the mutants had the greater impact since Tandi's existence would have been irrelevant had that not been done.

Fallout being Fallout, those events aren't standalone, and there's a connection to be made. You learn in game what happens when you don't stop the Master's army. The NCR is formed *because* you stopped him.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stopping the mutants had the greater impact since Tandi's existence would have been irrelevant had that not been done.
Yeah, I guess that is true. I didn't remember the bad ending as that clear-cut, having everything resting on the vault dweller and that specific action. It seems BOS didn't even put up a real fight. I should have looked it up, before posting... Oh well, how boring! I wonder how far the mutant army would have expanded, though. Would all of the wasteland be turned into mutant land? I have a feeling they might eradicate themselves running out of living things to consume.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
To put it another way, can we forgive the Vault Dweller for rescuing Tandi (a woman), and thus cursing the west coast with the New Cringe Republic, just because he stopped the Unity?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I think saving Tandi wins.

The BoS or some other faction would probably manage what one guy managed. Considering that super mutants, the Master included, are not that smart.

Tandi on the other hand is kind of a hero character, letting her die would have a bigger impact imo. The NCR would’ve most likely never been formed, which would alter the Fallout Universe more than an extended super mutant threat.

laclongquan

Arcane
Tandi only come to shine after her father and her husband complete the formation of NCR, way into her middleage and full of experience.

Yet without Tandi, even assuming she has a full set of talents and play super crucial role in NCR, the young republic would have been small and in a corner instead of being the sprawling confederate later. Without NCR and Followers as a stable base to raise human talents, the young Caesar and young Joshua can become the founder of Legion later is a big question.

MOST importantly, if Vault Dweller not stopping super mutants, they would have come for Shady Sands sooner or later anyway, they being so close to Vault 13. NCR would have been squeezed in their infancy like popped zit.

Tandi is young but the best-est ending could have her being impressed by the VD and her father and growing up wanting to be a change for good in the Wasteland.

Diggfinger

Arcane
The BoS or some other faction would probably manage what one guy managed. Considering that super mutants, the Master included, are not that smart.

The BoS cant see in isometric (sorry, cavalier oblique) like the player can, so clearly disadvantaged :cool:

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Vault Dwellah killed Tandi and joined the muties.
Fun fact: you can murder Tandi once in Fallout, and twice in Fallout 2. You may find a young Tandi in one of the special encounters, and an old Tandi in NCR.
Ian was also supposed to make a return in Fallout 2 – in fact, you can meet him when you arrive at Vault City slums, if you mod the game – but sadly, you can't interact with the lovely bastard in the final version (unmodded).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Master is still alive after 230 days have passed. Takes precedence over the other endings.
The mutant army marches as far north as Shady Sands, razing the small town to the ground.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
The Master is still alive after 230 days have passed. Takes precedence over the other endings.
The mutant army marches as far north as Shady Sands, razing the small town to the ground.
Ah, that sucks. I wonder if it would be possible for them to flee before the army arrives. I would imagine a mutant army is quite obvious and slow so they might get warned in time…

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What's most important? Stop the Master or have the Vault Dweller alive by the end of the game so that he can form Arroyo so that the Chosen One can stop the Enclave?

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Tandi only come to shine after her father and her husband complete the formation of NCR

Husband?

Are you talking about Cookie, perhaps? What a poor soul.

Tsk-tsk, he wasn't able to smell* her fugliness...

*He can smell your gender and lack of armor, in Navarro base, I'm not making that up.

NCRVIP.jpg

laclongquan

Arcane
Tandi only come to shine after her father and her husband complete the formation of NCR

Husband?

Are you talking about Cookie, perhaps? What a poor soul.

Tsk-tsk, he wasn't able to smell* her fugliness...

*He can smell your gender and lack of armor, in Navarro base, I'm not making that up.

View attachment 35202
Are you playing the village drunk?

Aradesh and Seth die in 2196, more than 30 years after Tandi was saved from Bandit camp. They died in an expedition to find vault 13, so it's a dangerous undertaking, which a leader of NCR took to his death. What we would infer from that?

1. A leader only take a deadly undertaking like that with his most trusted man, which Seth is. IF there is another man being Tandi's wife, that condition wont stand, because that man would stand to benefit the most should Aradesh die. There is a very very tiny (nearly impossible) chance, like 1 in 10000, for Aradesh to do dangerous trek like that in his old age if Seth is not his son in law.

2. So you say more than 30 years after Tandi was rescued and Seth doesnt marry her. :shake head: Impossible. This is Fallout Post Apocalypse, not your typical romance novel. A leader command most of the armed force will definitely marry the princess. OTHERWISE the old leader would get deposed sooner more than later. Aradesh can live to more than 30 years later, and still be the old leader of NCR, is definitely because Seth marry Tandi.

PapaPetro

Tandi would just kinda send humanity back onto same path that lead to the Great Mushroom Cloud War. Same set of egalitarian values that end up pitting "equal" sides with hair-trigger nukes over hair-splitting details.
Given enough time, they can still eventually rebuild nukes and just repeat the series in some Nihilistic eternally recursive cycle of self-nuking (War Never Changes).
This theme was explored further in Battlestar Galactica.

Maybe the Master was onto something... to bad he was evil

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom