Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mystic Land: The Search for Maphaldo - Old school RPG inspired by W7 and EoB

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
SirBlabsAlot btw, since you are the originator of your screens, and videos, just post the originals here, and not the X stuff. X will mess up the quality of most videos.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
Just a quick note that Mystic Land just got green light from GOG to be published there as well.
Need to check the contract and all, but if there is nothing strange in the contract, then Mystic Land should be on GOG very soon.

Jinn

Arcane
If the gameplay holds up to the rest of what we're seeing, I think even Cleve would agree it could be.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
Short video on teleportation in Mystic Land.
You can find these all over Mystic Land (though some are quite hidden) and use them in order to quickly "jump" from one area to another.

Otherwise, we are still working hard on the game.
New character/monster artist joined our ranks so we are getting closer to the moment when we will be comfortable in setting a release date for the demo that will include first few areas.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
Demo announcement imminent.

Oh, you bas**** :P
Beat me to it.

Yes, we are progressing nicely. Announcement not "imminent" but vey soon.

We still hope for the end of the 2023, if not, then very early 2024 (for the demo of course).
Date announced soon though - we just need to see how many problems we will get from a few things still bothering us ;)

Oh, GOG store page should be up sometimes next week (at least I was told so by my helper over at the GOG headquarters).

negator2vc

Scholar

Beat me to it.

We still hope for the end of the 2023, if not, then very early 2024 (for the demo of course).
Date announced soon though - we just need to see how many problems we will get from a few things still bothering us ;)

Oh, GOG store page should be up sometimes next week (at least I was told so by my helper over at the GOG headquarters).

Where the demo will be available? Steam only or also on GOG, itchio?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Holy mother of God, what I've missed in my absence for so many months.

Just hearing about this now and my reaction was exactly like Cleve's in his initial post in this thread; this style of game is the peak of perfection in my opinion, and I forever lament that the style of Wizardry 7 wasn't elaborated on by other artists and developers. It is barely even imitated. Grimoire is the only game I'm aware of to approach its magnificence. There is no question about it, I will buy this the absolute microsecond it becomes available, and will share my discovery of this game as widely as I can.

I love a good party-based dungeon crawler, and although I wouldn't say there is an abundance of them (at least in terms of being worth playing more than once), there are a significant amount and through emulation, especially of Amiga or Atari ST there are even a wide variety of settings with some novel ideas implemented (like Captive, or Federation Quest 1: BSS Jane Seymour). But full open-world type games made in this style are probably the rarest kind of video game I'm interested in, yet I think it is by far the most engaging.

The few games that are even remotely comparable all fail to match Wizardry 7 in at least a few areas. That game was so radically unique and is an ultrarare instance of high art implemented in a game with a remarkable leveling and multi-class system. The oppressive and bleak atmosphere is really unmatched, to where I find its depiction of a collapsed, post-civilization era more attractive and mysterious than even that of the original Dark Souls. The themes explored are practically Spenglerian; the infamous introductory dedication line that the CRPG Addict made fun of in the manual, to "those who would stand against the weight of a universe to rise but one step further over its horizon" is an expression of the epitome of the Faustian soul that seeks to conquer and render a nonentity the very nature of time and space. Illiterate losers laugh at the 'purple prose' in an age where using 'fancy words' is something to be ridiculed, to be ashamed of. We are living through the very civilizational phase responsible by unconscious impetus for bringing about the self-destructive closure of its allotted lifespan which the game portrays the aftermath of in a fantastical science fiction context.

If this upcoming game is even a fraction as good as Wizardry 7 it will be one of the best games to be made in a long time.

lvl 2 Blue Slime

Educated
Short video on teleportation in Mystic Land.
You can find these all over Mystic Land (though some are quite hidden) and use them in order to quickly "jump" from one area to another.

Otherwise, we are still working hard on the game.
New character/monster artist joined our ranks so we are getting closer to the moment when we will be comfortable in setting a release date for the demo that will include first few areas.

The animation has a kind of old-school cartoon look to it, very nice.

Dorateen

Arcane
Will the "travel machine" teleporter be something that has to be unlocked first, such as activating the destination, or can the party stumble upon it and have no idea where it might go? Being whisked away to unknown locations is always fun.

Mortmal

Arcane
Speaking of teleportation puzzles, will an automap be included? I can see a small map on the top right, but unless I am mistaken and it was shown earlier, there is no large dungeon map. That will make it difficult to impossible for many players to progress if there is not one.

lvl 2 Blue Slime

Educated
SirBabs, a few questions if I may:
- Are towns menu-based or do you physically explore them?
- Does the game have an overworld or are we talking about a set of dungeons that are progressively unveiled?
- Will there be teleport spells to go back to town at any time?

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
Holy mother of God, what I've missed in my absence for so many months.

Just hearing about this now and my reaction was exactly like Cleve's in his initial post in this thread; this style of game is the peak of perfection in my opinion, and I forever lament that the style of Wizardry 7 wasn't elaborated on by other artists and developers. It is barely even imitated. Grimoire is the only game I'm aware of to approach its magnificence. There is no question about it, I will buy this the absolute microsecond it becomes available, and will share my discovery of this game as widely as I can.

I love a good party-based dungeon crawler, and although I wouldn't say there is an abundance of them (at least in terms of being worth playing more than once), there are a significant amount and through emulation, especially of Amiga or Atari ST there are even a wide variety of settings with some novel ideas implemented (like Captive, or Federation Quest 1: BSS Jane Seymour). But full open-world type games made in this style are probably the rarest kind of video game I'm interested in, yet I think it is by far the most engaging.

The few games that are even remotely comparable all fail to match Wizardry 7 in at least a few areas. That game was so radically unique and is an ultrarare instance of high art implemented in a game with a remarkable leveling and multi-class system. The oppressive and bleak atmosphere is really unmatched, to where I find its depiction of a collapsed, post-civilization era more attractive and mysterious than even that of the original Dark Souls. The themes explored are practically Spenglerian; the infamous introductory dedication line that the CRPG Addict made fun of in the manual, to "those who would stand against the weight of a universe to rise but one step further over its horizon" is an expression of the epitome of the Faustian soul that seeks to conquer and render a nonentity the very nature of time and space. Illiterate losers laugh at the 'purple prose' in an age where using 'fancy words' is something to be ridiculed, to be ashamed of. We are living through the very civilizational phase responsible by unconscious impetus for bringing about the self-destructive closure of its allotted lifespan which the game portrays the aftermath of in a fantastical science fiction context.

If this upcoming game is even a fraction as good as Wizardry 7 it will be one of the best games to be made in a long time.
Thanks a lot!
Reading posts like this gives us all a boost in motivation :)

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
Will the "travel machine" teleporter be something that has to be unlocked first, such as activating the destination, or can the party stumble upon it and have no idea where it might go? Being whisked away to unknown locations is always fun.
Some need to be unlocked, some are there to "test out" right away. The one in video is encountered quite fast at the beginning of the game.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
Speaking of teleportation puzzles, will an automap be included? I can see a small map on the top right, but unless I am mistaken and it was shown earlier, there is no large dungeon map. That will make it difficult to impossible for many players to progress if there is not one.
Automap is included, but the quality depends on how good any of your character is in "Mapping" skill.
It can also be enlarged over the whole viewport easily (by clicking on the small automap).

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
SirBabs, a few questions if I may:
- Are towns menu-based or do you physically explore them?
- Does the game have an overworld or are we talking about a set of dungeons that are progressively unveiled?
- Will there be teleport spells to go back to town at any time?
Towns are areas to be explored - similar to Wizardry 7
It does have overworld. It's not just dungeons.
No teleport spells, but there are some shortcuts to be found/unlocked (like teleport shown above).

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer

Beat me to it.

Where the demo will be available? Steam only or also on GOG, itchio?

We'll try to put it on all 3 stores you mentioned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom