Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye New DSA/ The Dark Eye RPGs planned, by the game's publisher Ulisses Spiele

Dodo1610

Arcane
https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/rollenspiele-das-schwarze-auge-drakensang,3379930.html

New role-playing games with The Black Eye: Here's how to bring back the days of Drakensang:

The Black Eye had a glorious RPG past, but it's over. In an interview, Jan Wagner from Ulisses Digital has now revealed the master plan for a comeback.

by Fabiano Uslenghi, 22.04.2022 11:07 am

Once upon a time, a time-honoured role-playing system ruled the German lands and brought joy and happiness to the hearts of German fans of cultivated role-playing with some glorious PC games. The Black Eye produced classics such as Drakensang, The Northland Trilogy or Satinav's Chains. But this time seems to be over.

Where there was once light, there is now shadow. For many years, there has not been a game in Aventuria that could tie in with these high times. Book of Heroes was the sad low point.

Why DSA is struggling nowadays also has to do with how the PC market has developed. Because while games are becoming more and more expensive, the world of Das Schwarze Auge has remained a German niche market.

But not all hope is lost yet. The Black Eye is supposed to come back, just not necessarily any time soon. In the podcast, Jan Wagner, Head of Digital Games at DSA publisher Ulisses, gave us exclusive insights into the master plan for good PC games based around Das Schwarze Auge.
Jan Wagner from Ulisses Digital Games in conversation

In the podcast, Jan Wagner talks about his plan to make DSA games successful again. Simply giving the licence to external developers who have no love or vested interest in the world, as happened with Book of Heroes, should definitely no longer be the way.

For many fans, the two Drakensang role-playing games are among the best RPGs in the DSA universe.

Instead, Wagner has devised a new plan, and part of it is to empower Ulisses Publishing to develop the games themselves. This is the only way to guarantee that the necessary love and care flow into the product that the publisher and the fan community want.

But Ulisses simply cannot develop any games at the moment. This is to change in the next few years. That is why there is a "master plan":

-The Visual Novel: It will start as early as May 2022, when a new DSA "game", Wolves of the Westwind, will appear on Steam. Only this is a visual novel, with very little RPG content. It's about a story to read and with beautiful pictures. Things that Ulisses is already good at, without too much financial risk.

-An action game: The next project will be a standard action game that the studio can try out. However, without a DSA licence. Because according to Wagner, with this brand, which is loved by fans, there are only "a few shots available", and they should be good ones.

-A first role-playing game: What has been learned is then to be implemented in another game, which this time will actually be a role-playing game. But again without a DSA licence, instead another Pen&Paper work will be used: Hexxen 1733.

-The new DSA RPG: And when all these points have been checked off, the staff has been increased and trained, and hopefully the financing and the international reputation of the studio are at a good point, then a new DSA role-playing game is to be created, with an appropriate production effort.

The goal is to have a game that is internationally competitive even without the brand's traction and that satisfies DSA fans in Germany.

But one thing is certain: no new DSA role-playing game will be released soon. The plan is designed for the long term and all these games want to be developed first. By the way, Wagner almost rules out the possibility of a Drakensang 3, as Drakensang is still a separate brand name whose rights do not lie with Ulisses.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...es-are-coming-over-the-next-few-years.119761/

Guess they saw whAt WOTC is doing and thought they should try it themselves. Though their plan is obviously a lot more humble. Well we will get Wolves of Westwind soon and then we can judge if they are serious or not about bringing back DSA to the PC.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually like how they wanna build up their studio by making simpler games first instead of immediately jumping into the big RPG project. Shows that they are aware game development isn't an easy job.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kinda funny because the visual novel's developer made Fantasy General 2. They probably could make some form of RPG if it's backed by an adequate budget.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
This definitely will not go TERRIBLY wrong.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A (good) third Blackguards that is more focused like the first game, or a new River of Time game would be cool.

A new Realms of Arkania would be cool, but I am hoping that Archaelund can scratch that itch.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kinda funny because the visual novel's developer made Fantasy General 2. They probably could make some form of RPG if it's backed by an adequate budget.

Ah. Then having them make a visual novel of all things is kinda retarded. They already know how to make tactics games, why not something like Blackguards, that would be right up their alley.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Reminds me of a South Park episode.

New role-playing games with The Dark Eye: Here's how to bring back the days of Drakensang:

1. Hire an inexperienced Team
2. Make a "Visual Novel" and some other not Dark Eye related shit
3. ????
4. Profit

mondblut

Arcane
there is a "master plan":

-The Visual Novel

-An action game

-A first role-playing game: But again without a DSA licence

-The new DSA RPG

Master strategy on par with the feint at Kiew.

I bet on everything crashing and burning a couple of months into "phase 2".

Dodo1610

Arcane
Oh right I missed that they already announced their first RPG through the German game funding website
hexxen-1200.jpg

PC, Strategy Game, RPG, Horror

Content HeXXen 1733: Morgenstern places players in an alternate version of our world in 1733 AD. Fairy tales and legendary figures are real, because the gates of hell have opened and the world has changed forever. The player slips into the role of so-called "hunters" who track down the dark beings and fight them with muskets, swords or firm belief.

Funding amount €909,202.00

Duration 01.01.2022-31.10.2023

https://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/DE/Artikel/DG/games-projekte/hexxen-1733-morgenstern.html

Baroque historical fantasy strategy/RPG already sounds good. Great to see that Greedfall's success meant that we get more RPGs with historical firearms.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom