Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Mass Effect combat video - clarifying everyone's doubts!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
If you still think Mass Effect features some sort of whiz-bang hybrid system that melds the old (KOTOR) with the new (Halo), then think again. This is a straight-up twitch fest!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27418.html

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
All they need to do now is add in those special forces hand signals and they'd be set.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Re: New Mass Effect combat video - clarifying everyone's dou

aweigh said:
If you still think Mass Effect features some sort of whiz-bang hybrid system that melds the old (KOTOR) with the new (Halo), then think again. This is a straight-up twitch fest!
First we criticize Hellgate for making its combat feel too much like stat sheets vs stat sheets and now we criticize Mass Effect for going the other way and making it feel more reactive? What's it gonna be?

Personnally, I'd don't see what's wrong with it. Bioware was never good at combat, it really wasn't ie games and KotOR's high points. I'd rather have an action system with some interactivity or tactics like to some extend in Gothic and what the Witcher looks like it's doing, than boring stuff like we're used to with Bioware. Hopefully the change is for the better.

fastpunk

Arbiter
The combat is basically Gears of War with Pause. It isn't bad though, actually, it looks pretty fun. The combat system itself was never the reason why I'm not really confident in this game, it's because of the dubious quality of dialogs and voice acting, almost no proof of c&c (there was one video posted on these forums that hinted towards some good c&c but nothing concrete) and a pretty thin character system. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't seen any stealth so far, I'm curious how they implemented that.

edit: Oh, I forgot about the "ancient evil awakening to lay waste to everything" part... it's so common now a days that you start thinking it's more like a feature. :lol:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Looks like a lot of fun, and way less botched than the combat was in Bloodlines.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Change your avatar back.

This game looks so hopelessly generic and "bloodless". Judging from the videos Bioware is on the right track to design one of the most bland and uninspired sci-fi worlds in computer gaming history.

Norfleet

The video looks obviously fake, not at all like an actual game would look like. The animation and viewing were simply not gamelike at all, and it should be obvious that this is a FAKE.

Texas Red

Whiner
fastpunk said:
edit: Oh, I forgot about the "ancient evil awakening to lay waste to everything" part... it's so common now a days that you start thinking it's more like a feature. :lol:

There is also an ancient prophecy. Dont forget that.

Maybe they will pull an Arcanum with the story, as in start with something generic and end up completely original. Though I doubt it. How that cocksucker thought that ME is the best sci-fi ever is difficult to understand. ME is the perfect proof that if you have action and pretty graphics everything else doesnt matter. At all.

dagorkan

Arbiter
A must have for RPG'ers imo.

I WANT THIS GAME NOW! I'm going out of my freakin mind.

MonkeyFunkR said: Ladies and gentlemen we have out GOTY. Woot!

couldnt agree more. this game is awesome!!

Ill probably get this even though i hate rpgs

As to the characters appearence, that's the default appearence. You can drastically alter your look AND Sex, you can even be a LESBIAN with a female character and a female love interest.

Wow I'll be honest here. I think this is truly the top competitor for game of the year. I mean listen, the game plays like Gears of War, but actualy is an RPG with next gen dialogue! So cant wait.

i think this will be GOTC "century"

Deep game. Does a lot of things right.

GOTY right here!

woo luv this game i could jus masterbait to the dam thing but i wont unless u want me to?

gotta luv bioware

Damn right best game of the decade.

I'm not even into RPGs, but this looks like one I could get into.

MASS EFFECT IS GOING TO BE THE HALO OF 360!!!! YES, NOT EVEN HALO 3 IS THE HALO OF 360

Game of the Year is going to be a close call between this and Bioshock. One thing's for sure, Sony fanboys won't get to make it! LMAO.

this game is going to be so awesome

It's really not about the combat for me, it's about the plot.

Flaggd said:
ok...? this is a COMPLETELY different genre then any of those games FYI. fucking PS3 fanboy you're just jealous cause we have this massive-ass scifi RPG and the PS3 doesn't.

haha agreed

Mass Effect rocks and its gonna set new standart for next gen rpg.

graphics great, battle system great and story great

Something to say?? ;)

RPG isnt another way to say "Slow turn based Final Fantasy looking roleplaying game", it just means "RolePlayinGame". The RPG elements in place are for instance that all shots dont hit, calculations of damage, NPC interactions and everything else you can think of, just that it isnt turn based.

Thats a lot of action for an RPG. Cool.

im no longer skeptical about this game

Keep in mind that everyone has this misconception about what an RPG is. Thanks to "JRPG's" like Final Fantasy, people have believed those are RPG's, when they are in fact not. They are just fantasy games with stat systems and such, without any of the actual role playing.

Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, and now Mass Effect, those are real RPGs. You are the main character, not just walking around in thier shoes. You have a level of freedom no FF game has ever granted, and in the case of some, nearly unlimited freedom. In the Fallout series if you so wish you can literally genocide the entire populace of NPCs. Your actions effect the world, not the world effects your actions like JRPGs.

AWESOME!!!!

DraQ

Arcane
Keep in mind that everyone has this misconception about what an RPG is. Thanks to "JRPG's" like Final Fantasy, people have believed those are RPG's, when they are in fact not. They are just fantasy games with stat systems and such, without any of the actual role playing.

Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, and now Mass Effect, those are real RPGs. You are the main character, not just walking around in thier shoes. You have a level of freedom no FF game has ever granted, and in the case of some, nearly unlimited freedom. In the Fallout series if you so wish you can literally genocide the entire populace of NPCs. Your actions effect the world, not the world effects your actions like JRPGs.
Coherent sentences, PS:T and Fallout mentioned, no "lol"-s nor "u"-s, there is still hope for this person.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow I'll be honest here. I think this is truly the top competitor for game of the year. I mean listen, the game plays like Gears of War, but actualy is an RPG with next gen dialogue! So cant wait.

:lol:

pkt-zer0

Scholar
So that's how you're supposed to do it. Make a Gears of War clone, label it an RPG after adding level ups, insert next-gen dialogue (i.e. extreme, 3-4 words at most per response, making sure that none of the choices make a difference), shiny graphics, and presto! Game of the Fucking Year.
Woe to the developers who'd try to make an RPG for those who, you know, actually like RPGs - their efforts are sure to be met with "meh", "mediocre", or "only for the hardcore DnDer".

...just what the FUCK is wrong with people?!?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
it'll be interesting to see how Fallout 3 will outdo that :)

dagorkan

Arbiter
pkt-zer0 said:
So that's how you're supposed to do it. Make a Gears of War clone, label it an RPG after adding level ups, insert next-gen dialogue (i.e. extreme, 3-4 words at most per response, making sure that none of the choices make a difference), shiny graphics, and presto! Game of the Fucking Year.
No, GOTFC - Game of the Century!

MetalCraze

Arcane

so... can I say that anyone who will buy this crap is a moron now?

...next-gen dialogue... Oh yes... oh fucking yes. And that lesbian dialogue (you even can play L3SBIANZ0r!!!11) is so next-gen. So... next-gen = retarded-gen?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
skyway said:

so... can I say that anyone who will buy this crap is a moron now?
No. Why? People who buy action games are morons? People who buy action RPGs are morons? Geez, chillax. I might buy this game in six, seven years when it is cheap, just because it seems like a fun game. Like Secret of Mana with modern graphics and in space.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom