Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Mass Effect combat video - clarifying everyone's doubts!

MetalCraze

Arcane
No. Why? People who buy action games are morons? People who buy action RPGs are morons? Geez, chillax. I might buy this game in six, seven years when it is cheap, just because it seems like a fun game. Like Secret of Mana with modern graphics and in space.

well then... can I call people that left those comments morons?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, you can. I wonder how the endboss of ME will look like.

a7c9d65853894e5c774fab78c84ecda982b9ab2b.png

MetalCraze

Arcane
I wonder how the endboss of ME will look like.

Something tells me it will be generic robot that will control all that evil robot invasion, but in the end when you will kill him - you will wonder how this robot could control the whole enemy forces by being so horribly retarded.
This actually applies to any bioware villain out there.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The final boss will be your lesbian alien girlfriend that manipulated you into all of this. See, she ordered the robots to attack planets so you would be forced to seek the ancient robot destroying artifact. She follows you on your quest to find all its four pieces and when you have them, she reveals her true nature: she is the leader of the robots and actually an android that wants to purge the universe from useless meat. With your help she could find the ancient robot destroying artifact and dispose of it- now nothing can stop her. Unless, that is, you defeat her in an epic battle, but first she assumes her true form: her tits grow tentacles/wires, her thighs slide open and reveal they are rocket launchers, her shoulders expand into miniguns and she shoots a deadly, screen-filling laser from her mouth. To defeat her you must activate four switches scattered around in the boss arena while dodging her shots. Those switches lower the force-field that makes her invincible. After that, it's the plasma gun all the way. When she dies, she reverts to her normal form and Shepard (?) holds her in his/her arms, a tear in his/her rugged face. He/she cries out "WHY????", a sad remix of the "love" theme starts playing, the scene fades out, credits.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Mass Effect rocks and its gonna set new standart for next gen rpg.

Yet another 'next gen' moron... Seriously, some people tend to overuse this particular phrase.
I'd like him to explicitly explain to me what characterizes a 'next-generashun' cRPG...

WalterKinde

Scholar
So mass effect might be more a good/great rpglite FPS game as opposed to a true RPG?
If so why is it so hard for companies to sell games like that other than as a true RPG?
I probably would have forgiven Oblivion or at least not been so disappointed in it had Beth sold it as Action/Rpg lite game.
After All i didn't go into the Star Wars Jedi Knight games for the PC thinking they were RPG games.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
dagorkan said:
A buncha scary quotes...

The majority of those have to be shills right? How can those people feed themselves? Or remember to breathe?

aries202

Erudite
I think you're all forgetting one important thing here. The combat shown was for the 'soldier class'. Other combats videos have shown vanguard combat and adept combat, I think :?: And, you should really really hear the complaints from some of the Bioware forums about the irritating slow combat. The Bioware devs. have now decided to show off the combat for the 'soldier class' which of course is going to be more action like than combat for adepts or vanguards.

I also think that fort his video Shepard & team have been upped & buffed a little or much since this apperently seems the way to go when you display combat videos today.

You can pause the game at any time or you can play the game by just pressing the A-button which clearly is what the gamer is doing here (e.g. pressing the A-button). Bioware's marketing campaign clearly is desiged to catch the attention of gamers that play Gears of Wars and Halo to expand Bioware's market. The RPG fans will buy Mass Effect anyway....so the whole idea to expand the market for Mass Effect...

I agree, though, that the combat in most Bioware games isn't exactly that great, but that's not why I play their games. I play Bioware games for the story, the great characters and their interaction, and the c&c there (still) is in their games.

AN RPG doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't any action in it. It means that there has to be a meaning, a reson, behind the action & violence in the RPG. And so there is in Mass Effect. In other trailers, clips etc. we have seen there's tons of dialogue as well. If you hit or not depends on your skill level with say a handgun or a rifle...

User was nabbed fit

Let's go break their fingers so those guerrilla marketers can't post again.

MetalCraze

Arcane
but I can deal with that

can you also deal with this game being yet another mediocre shooter with stats and shitty dialogues but being positioned as one of the best RPGs out there?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"This is a straight-up twitch fest!"

Bullshit. Stats effect to a certaind egree the outcome of both combat and dialogue. Fool.

And, of course, the combat looks 'easy'; they probably made Shepard super powerful for this video. Gah.

"can you also deal with this game being yet another mediocre shooter with stats and shitty dialogues but being positioned as one of the best RPGs out there?"

Lets not forget the character interaction where BIO is strongest, and the fact there'll be choices, and cosneque3nces that not only effect ME1; but ME2 & 3.

R00fles!

P.S. True, though, the epic story as shown thus far is generic. Then again, most stories aren't really original. It's how they're told that matters.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Re: New Mass Effect combat video - clarifying everyone's dou

Ismaul said:
aweigh said:
If you still think Mass Effect features some sort of whiz-bang hybrid system that melds the old (KOTOR) with the new (Halo), then think again. This is a straight-up twitch fest!
First we criticize Hellgate for making its combat feel too much like stat sheets vs stat sheets and now we criticize Mass Effect for going the other way and making it feel more reactive? What's it gonna be?

Personnally, I'd don't see what's wrong with it. Bioware was never good at combat, it really wasn't ie games and KotOR's high points. I'd rather have an action system with some interactivity or tactics like to some extend in Gothic and what the Witcher looks like it's doing, than boring stuff like we're used to with Bioware. Hopefully the change is for the better.

Please find the part in my post where I gave an opinion either way? I posted it beacuse there are a lot of people who think Mass Effect features some vestigial hybrid system and that it wasn't completely real-time, so I wanted to clarify. That is all.

Bloodlines is one of my favorite RPG's, like ever, and that's as "twitch" as you can get!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lets not forget the character interaction where BIO is strongest

ha ha haaaaaaa

Then again, most stories aren't really original. It's how they're told that matters.

yes, but obviously Bioware forgot how to do that in their... almost all projects?

they probably made Shepard super powerful for this video

Shepards can't be underpowered.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Volourn said:
Bullshit. Stats effect to a certaind egree the outcome of both combat and dialogue.

Diablo? Oblivion? You wouldn't consider those twitch-based, either?

Volourn said:
Lets not forget the character interaction where BIO is strongest

Laffo.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I would argue that, having played a Diablo 2 hardcore fishymancer (safest hardcore build there is, and my first character ever) on battlenet until level 79, then I got bored. Wonder if KC and metallix still play.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Diablo? Oblivion? You wouldn't consider those twitch-based, either?"

Diablo had dialogue?

I didn't play Oblivion. And, oh btw, while I hate the ES series, it is a (Action) RPG series. Deal with it.

the_Consumer

Novice
Jasede said:
The final boss will be your lesbian alien girlfriend that manipulated you into all of this. See, she ordered the robots to attack planets so you would be forced to seek the ancient robot destroying artifact. She follows you on your quest to find all its four pieces and when you have them, she reveals her true nature: she is the leader of the robots and actually an android that wants to purge the universe from useless meat. With your help she could find the ancient robot destroying artifact and dispose of it- now nothing can stop her. Unless, that is, you defeat her in an epic battle, but first she assumes her true form: her tits grow tentacles/wires, her thighs slide open and reveal they are rocket launchers, her shoulders expand into miniguns and she shoots a deadly, screen-filling laser from her mouth. To defeat her you must activate four switches scattered around in the boss arena while dodging her shots. Those switches lower the force-field that makes her invincible. After that, it's the plasma gun all the way. When she dies, she reverts to her normal form and Shepard (?) holds her in his/her arms, a tear in his/her rugged face. He/she cries out "WHY????", a sad remix of the "love" theme starts playing, the scene fades out, credits.

That dosen't seem all that unlikely......

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Volourn said:
Diablo had dialogue?

I meant the combat, duh. Influenced by stats, just like in Mass Effect.

Twitch-based dialogue doesn't make much sense, anyway.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
pkt-zer0 said:
Volourn said:
Diablo had dialogue?

I meant the combat, duh. Influenced by stats, just like in Mass Effect.

Twitch-based dialogue doesn't make much sense, anyway.

You have to hit the words in the correct order in a certain amount of time to make a response in the dialogue.

This is soooo going to be the dialogue system in the next Elder Scrolls game.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
It looks like Ratchet and Clank meets Rainbow Six: Vegas. I'd try it out, but I don't own a 360. As for the story/dialogue, I expect it to be shit, but if the shooting's mildly fun, who cares?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom