Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Mass Effect traielr from E32k7.

Starwars

Arcane
Bleh, didn't have enough Shepherd. Also, have there been any screenshots or anything of a female Shepherd kicking ass?

They're trying so hard to make this game look like a movie.

Zlaja

Arcane
CAN'T WAIT TO START ROLEPLAYING!!!

PS: omg, guys, did you notice that the cursor changes into a sword when you point on the banner above. That's so fucking cool!!

DemonKing

Arcane
I just thought of something - we all know what CRPG stands for, and to be honest, nothing Bio has produced since BG2 really qualifies (and yes Volo - I liked KOTOR and even JE to some extent but they're not CRPGs, IMO), so let's now adopt the term BRPG to stand for Bio Role Playing Game for any type of game where Romances with NPCs and 100% voice-acted dialog are considered more important than old CRPG staples like proper inventory and combat systems and interesting character development options (no changing the gems in your stupid amulet doesn't count!).

What say you?

Jora

Arcane
Bioware's award-winning one-liners:

"I'll find some way to take him down"

"You can't possibly understand what's really at stake."

:roll:

Edit:

The evil robot villain: "Destroy the entire colony."
Shepard's superior officer: "... and he won't stop until he has wiped humanity from the galaxy."

And then Darth Malak from Knights of the Old Republic: "Wipe this pathetic planet from the face of the galaxy!"

So... is it just me or are they really going to clone even the smallest details of KotOR?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
This evil-looking dude says that Shepard "can't uderstand what's at stake". I bet there will be some kind of unexpected plot twist, and humans and aliens will unite to face the common enemy, and they will fight, and there will be romance, and, and... OMG!!! I can't wait!1!

Deleted member 7219

THIS LOOKS SICK

I JUS HOPE THERE ISNT ANY MORE ROLEPLAYING LOL I HATE RPGS LIKE FINAL FANTASY. IT LOOKS LIKE HALO SO IT SHOULD BE SICK.

NiM82

Prophet
IT HAS TEH BLOOM, TEH PIXEL SHADERS R ROXORING MY BOXOR!!! OMG <3 BIOWARE!!

The gameplay will probably be even more rail-roaded than KOTOR judging from the cut out characters and scripted sequences. Why don't they just go all the way and make a film - the console kiddies wouldn't even need to engage their brains then, they could just sit back and say 'awesome' a lot...

Also, is it me, or does the bad guy's name sound like 'Sauron' and his allies like 'Gith' - story going to involve a perilous journey to Planet Doom, to destroy a silver raygun?

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
You just don't understand the absolute brilliant genius of Bioware you philistines! How dare you mock the amazing talent and outstanding price of voice actors and BLOOM! You are too below the intelligence level to grasp the mass effect that Mass Effect will have on the...The masses! It will be like that which none of us could have ever imagined. You just don't know what is at stake! It will redefine RPG's as we know it! Don't you see, don't you see! Pfff I waste my time on your puny minds. Pay heed, you must all buy this game! Anything with graphics that shiny must not be ignored! Do it, or I will wipe all humanity from the forum!

aries202

Erudite
Why do Bioware still insist on marketing this game as an action game more than an rpg :?: It as if Bioware are deliberately trying to hide the story behind the game between all the explosions, aliens flying around all over the place and the action in the game.

There seems to be laid the grounds for one of Bioware's famous plot twists with Saren's last words to Shepard in the trailer...

Section8

Cipher
I hope George Lucas gets on their case for ripping on his shit, but the fake doctors would be all like:

In Star Wars, magic is called "The Force". In Mass Effect, magic is called "The Farce". They're like totally different. Conceptually.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If GL whines about them 'ripping' him off, they should politely remind him of all the older stories that he 'ripped' off when he created SW. L0L

"just thought of something - we all know what CRPG stands for, and to be honest, nothing Bio has produced since BG2 really qualifies (and yes Volo - I liked KOTOR and even JE to some extent but they're not CRPGs, IMO), so let's now adopt the term BRPG to stand for Bio Role Playing Game for any type of game where Romances with NPCs and 100% voice-acted dialog are considered more important than old CRPG staples like proper inventory and combat systems and interesting character development options (no changing the gems in your stupid amulet doesn't count!)."

Bullshit. BIO's games have become better role-playing wise since BG2. The BG series are the weakest when it comes to actual role-playing minus MDK2 or SS. They're not even close to JE, KOTOR, or NWN when it comes to actual role-playing.

btw, Foolish One, JE is an Action RPG.

All that said, I am worried about the dialogue style; but I expect the actual role-playing to be superior than previous BIO games.

ME > KOTOR in every fuckin' way!!

Deleted member 7219

bryce77 said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/82462.html?playlist=featured

HAHA FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DOUBTED THERE WOULD BE CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES!!!!

Check out the 3 dialogue responses available! Well, we can all put our fears to rest. We should've trusted BioWare that it would be cool.

Hahaha!

1. You're right.
2. I'll stop him.
3. Not if I can help it!

Bioware forgot one crucial choice there. Where the hell is the 'End dialog' option?!

Deleted member 7219

hiciacit said:
Did I hear that right?

"Sauron has allied himself with the Gith(yanki)"

Geth, apparently. But yeah, sounds like Gith, and it also sounds like Sith.

I fucking hate unoriginality.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yet, you probably play every sequel to your favorite games. L0L

Texas Red

Whiner
Vollycake, I agree that BG had no RP when compared to other Bioware games but cmon... in ME you basically play a predesigned character with a predesigned EXTREME personality. It looks like GTA.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Twenty imaginary bucks says the alien follower will be the big traitor in the game if you're lightsi... I mean, good. Five bucks says the same thing about the female follower if you're a bully.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom