Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Mass Effect traielr from E32k7.

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:
Yet, you probably play every sequel to your favorite games. L0L

Yes I do. If its set in the same universe its a bit different than, say Mass Effect trying to rip off Star Wars while trying to say its 'Mass Effect'. That's unoriginality in my view.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"in ME you basically play a predesigned character with a predesigned EXTREME personality. It looks like GTA."

Stop the bullshit. Start the truth.

You don't have to be extreme. You choose your character's personality. It has little in common with GTA.

Matt: Everything rips off soemthing from the pass. SW itself rips off various sources, and even Lucas admits to 'heavily borrowing' material from elsewhere.

ME borrows heavily from multiple sources not just SW. Much of it does is basically what all scifi (fantasy) has done for along time... well before SW was a blip on the radar.

DemonKing said:
I just thought of something - we all know what CRPG stands for, and to be honest, nothing Bio has produced since BG2 really qualifies (and yes Volo - I liked KOTOR and even JE to some extent but they're not CRPGs, IMO), so let's now adopt the term BRPG to stand for Bio Role Playing Game for any type of game where Romances with NPCs and 100% voice-acted dialog are considered more important than old CRPG staples like proper inventory and combat systems and interesting character development options (no changing the gems in your stupid amulet doesn't count!).

What say you?

Wholeheartedly agree. Neverwinter Nights (at least the OC and expansions) had shit for role-playing. Nothing was really limited. You could walk into the "Thieves' Guild" quests area and ask for a job. The person would say something like "I don't think you are the right class for the job." and then you could say "Yes I am" and the person was like "ok". Add that to the fact that pretty much everything was a fetch quest and there's no good role-playing. Plus, death and combat was handled so terribly in that game. My druid was able to smack around fire giants solo. Even my ubermensch in Throne of Bhaal had a difficult time with that. At least most of the combat in Baldur's Gate had some slight challenge. Neverwinter Nights you were a steamroller.

I never understood KOTOR's "great role-playing" either. Sure it had dialogue skills, but they hardly mattered. Every time there was a persuade option, wisdom option, or such there was also another option available to anyone that did the exact same thing. Case in point, Juhani in the grove. So it makes dialogue skills pretty worthless. Sure, there were a few times you could get money or a free swoop bike race, but still....it isn't much. And the "multiple paths to certain objectives" was pretty much bullshit as well. Sure, you could repair robots, or hack computers, but the way they implemented those skills was awful. It wasn't your skills that mattered, it was your items. Anyone could do anything with a reasonable number of items, and those items were everywhere. Skill plateaus would have been a better choice and made for good role-playing....but remember....KOTOR was aimed at consoles.

Jade Empire....ugh. No comment on this one. I'll try and give it another go, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw on my first run. Sure, some of the "evil" options were actually pretty good....but as far a role-playing, it had as much of that as a 70's martial arts flick had deep dialogue and drama.

EDIT: In Mass Effect it seems you aren't forced to be EXTREME. At least that's my interpretation of what I've seen. Though sometimes it looks like there isn't a lot of room for variation.

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:
"in ME you basically play a predesigned character with a predesigned EXTREME personality. It looks like GTA."

Stop the bullshit. Start the truth.

You don't have to be extreme. You choose your character's personality. It has little in common with GTA.

Matt: Everything rips off soemthing from the pass. SW itself rips off various sources, and even Lucas admits to 'heavily borrowing' material from elsewhere.

ME borrows heavily from multiple sources not just SW. Much of it does is basically what all scifi (fantasy) has done for along time... well before SW was a blip on the radar.

I accept that nothing is truly original, everything has little things loosely based on other things, but come on Volourn, Bioware made KOTOR, a game about one guy who's meant to save the galaxy, partnered with a team of other characters, who has control of a mysterious magical power and is fighting an insidious and dangerous enemy. Mass Effect, exactly the same thing. I'd forgive them if they left out the Force bit, but they just left it in and gave it a different name.

cuthbert

Novice
Did they show the character that helps you at first then betrays you only to have you fight them at the end and choose to end their life or spare them (you know the best part about bioware games).

Did they show the character that helps you at first then betrays you only to have you fight them at the end and choose to end their life or spare them (you know the best part about bioware games).

Yoshimo and the old master in Jade Empire were the only cool traitors. The had decent motives and such as opposed to being emotional messes. Aribeth and Bastilla were lame as can be.

I guess we can come to some conclusions here.

-Emotional women in Bioware games will be turned against you.
-Asians are good at betraying people.

So my prediction for Mass Effect is that Sarevok....err Saren turns Shepard's woman into a robot thing and it's the Asian companion who give her up.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I wonder what the standard bioware plot twist which will be hinted multiple times in the gameâ„¢ will be in Mass Effect. High Command sending sheppard into deep space on some fools quest so that he wouldn't be able to defend humanity from the real evilâ„¢?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Someone needs to make a loop of that hopping tank, thats the most retarded thing I've seen since Volourn's last post

It's almost as if every topic about this game here is exactly the same. We get it, it's all "EXTREME" and ACTION and romances. That was established long ago. Why does this stuff get repeated over and over?

cuthbert

Novice
sportforredneck said:
It's almost as if every topic about this game here is exactly the same. We get it, it's all "EXTREME" and ACTION and romances. That was established long ago. Why does this stuff get repeated over and over?
The same can be said about bioware's game plots

aries202

Erudite
Hey, I also enjoy reading Agatha Christie crime novels and seeing them on the telly, too :p

And they all seem to be the revolving around the same plot i.e. a varition of the butler did it ;) Sometimes the butler is petty thief, sometimes the butler is the dashing foreigner, other times the butler is well, some one else. But all mrs. Christie's villains seems to come mostly from the underclass, people that aren't happy with their station and lot in live and as such will do everything, even murder ;( , to get ahead in life...

The same can be said for Bioware's games. We know we get romances, a major stunning plot twist, possibly a traitor of some sorts and a storyline about someone saving the Forgot--- eh, I mean the universe. And you get to play the daunting hero or heroine...

And yes, the ancient evil could be global warming, but then again, it could also be something much much worse...

I'll like to reiterate that I think it is a :wall: business move for Bioware marketing Mass Effect as a shooter, simply because the shooter crowd won't get why they just can't blow up everything...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
They aren't marketing it as a shooter. They're marketing it as an Action RPG which is what it is.

Texas Red

Whiner
Aries, dont forget that youre always playing the best of the best. Its as if though Bioware thinks that its completely necessery for the gamers to play important and the most skilled characters.

Lets have a look at the history:

NWN 1: You start as the best pupil. Every other student is jelous of you because of your awesomeness.

NWN SoU: Yet again you start off as the best student.

KotOR 1: Youre hired by the military because of your elite haxors skills. Then you find out that you have the power to be a jedi even though everyone else has to begin they training like 30 years earlier than you. Of course the big twist adds to the ego even more, letting you know that youre THE force user who can own anything and anyone.

Jade Empire: See SoU and NWN 1. The same cliche where you start as the most skilled, wise and whatever student at some academy.

Mass Effect: Youre teh betterest of them all. Youve done everything and youre the elite among the elite. Blah blah blah lame shit.

Bioware isnt even trying. It shows. They just want to patch up some mandatory story that would go along with their EXTREME cinematic experience. Its because of such assfucks as Bioware games cant be considered art. You can think of a dozen variations to the whole "best student" line that would be far more interesting.

Probably the 2 doctors order the Bioware team to develop some game. Nobody from the crew gives a shit about the said game because the doctors or the shareholders or whatever set up restrictions and demands. The result is that nobody puts his soul in to the work because its not *theirs*. Its not *their* game.

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn said:
They aren't marketing it as a shooter. They're marketing it as an Action RPG which is what it is.

An RPG because you play Shepards role, right :roll:?

Guys, did you play that awesome Halo RPG? Do you think the new Sonic RPG will be just as good?

:roll:

Inziladun

Magister
Volourn said:
If GL whines about them 'ripping' him off, they should politely remind him of all the older stories that he 'ripped' off when he created SW. L0L

George Lucas ripped off a story structure and then put it into a sci-fi setting. Not exactly the same as ripping off a setting or a concept and just renaming it to something else.

Not saying Mass Effect is a carbon copy of Star Wars, though the similarities are obvious enough that I wouldn't be suprised if Mass Effect did indeed originally start out as KOTOR 3.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Its because of such assfucks as Bioware games cant be considered art."

No game is art, moron. Not a one.

"An RPG because you play Shepards role, right ? "

No, it's an ACTION RPG because the combat is action based, and you get to choose what your character, and your chocies have consequences which all RPGs should have.

Dumbass.

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
It looks like it got pretty choppy when shooting the assault rifle but not when flinging the big blue and green boogers around, kinda odd. My biggest problem with these ARPGs is that they aren't difficult enough. The cheesiness wouldn't be so bad if it had Ninja Gaiden level action/difficulty. That and a big booty white woman with a golden hammah brack. But since it's scifi they'll bland it up and cram in Asian pancake butt. :cry:

DemonKing

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
1. You're right.
2. I'll stop him.
3. Not if I can help it!

Bioware forgot one crucial choice there. Where the hell is the 'End dialog' option?!

I take it all back - Bio have evolved - I can no longer tell which is the good or evil dialog choice straight away!

Seriously though I wouldn't mind the Bio story style (although I still despise romances) if they improved core RPG standards like party control, inventory management, character skill/power development and so on. Making combat fun again would also be a step in the right direction (I really quite liked the BG games combat but everything else since has been arse).

The best thing I can say about the last couple of Bio games I've played is that they have a decent story and voice acting. They're OK for what they are but they're not CRPGs to me.

bryce77

Scholar
Where did you see or hear the term "RPG" during the E3 trailer? The E3 trailer is arguably the single most important piece of media involved in a game's marketing campaign and BioWare did not make it a point to classify Mass Effect as an action RPG during the trailer. Any layman watching it would have no idea that they're watching a trailer for an RPG, they would assume they're watching a trailer for the next sci-fi action game, like Halo 3, for example. I'm not sure what exactly BioWare is marketing the game as, but as an "action RPG" it ain't.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You are dumb. They have marketed it as Action RPG. they ahve stated this, and shown this in multiple videos, interviews, articles, and on, and on, and on.

Stop the bullshit, start the truth.

Volourn said:
You are dumb. They have marketed it as Action RPG. they ahve stated this, and shown this in multiple videos, interviews, articles, and on, and on, and on.

To be fair....yes and no. It is true that in more than a few instances they have used "action RPG" but in more instances they used "science fiction role-playing" or "sci-fi RPG". Plus, with all their talk about "huge consequences" and "deep character development", it doesn't sound very much like a typical "action-RPG".

The Watchman

Novice
Looks like a typical shitty shooter to me or meaby the rpg parts are hidden in that vid somewhere ? and no i havent kept up with ME news, i dont follow retarded shitbox games.

Texas Red

Whiner
Volly, how arent games art? First you design the areas. Artist have to draw, colour, animate etc. The story and the characters belong in to the literature. And this is just the basics. In fact it is far more sophisticated than a simple picture or a short story because the materialisation of your vision is much more complete and requires more hours and effort.

New games could be art if the developers/publishers wouldnt consider every aspect of a game from a marketing point of view.

Have a look at Troika. A small team that made its own decisions. Even if were talking about Bloodlines you can see how they fleshed out the setting and the characters because they had more freedom and actually had a desire to make their own games. When were talking about ME then its the most generic sci-fi piece of crap you can imagine. As a novel it would fail miserably.

Hell Volly, I like KotOR and JE but with ME it just blatant how they care only about the money. It may be fun but it is completely devoid of any creativity, originality and so on. The ONLY justification of the real time dialogs is that redding is teh hard. And thats it, no other reason fur such bullshitery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom