Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas, 5 million shipped.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... ve-million

Bethesda's shipped a whopping five million units of science-fiction role-playing game Fallout: New Vegas.

This, coupled with a "healthy volume of digital downloads", generated well over $300 million in sales.

Remember, shipped means shipped, as in sent to shops and other retailers. But still, five million's an impressive number.

"We are delighted by the reception Fallout: New Vegas has received from fans around the world," said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda.

"Despite the large launch quantities for this title, we have already received substantial re-orders from our retail partners * underscoring the tremendous popularity of this highly entertaining game. We believe Fallout: New Vegas will be the must buy title for gamers throughout the holiday season."

* and there's the money shot.

Obsidian's playing with the big boys.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good, Obsidian probably isn't going bankrupt after AP flopped.

AP didn't flop for Obsidian, it flopped for Sega. As long as Obsi doesn't start selfpublishing they should be fine.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Xor said:
Good, Obsidian probably isn't going bankrupt after AP flopped.

Yes, it's good to see them succeed, especially since they added some much needed depth to the Fallout 3 formula within their boundaries.

One can only hope that Bethesda is working on TES5, not FO4, and that Zenimax choose to let Obsidian take FO4 and run with it.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
SimpleComplexity said:
AP didn't flop for Obsidian, it flopped for Sega. As long as Obsi doesn't start selfpublishing they should be fine.
Yes, but low sales/reviews seriously hurt their company from getting further contracts, but it looks like New Vegas has made amends to that.

ironyuri

Bullshitz. Stop the lies. Start the truthz. r00fles!

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:
Has this outsold Fallout 3 then?

Doubt it, Fallout 3 had sold that many copies at the end of 2008.

Wikipedia said:
From its release in October through the end of 2008, Fallout 3 shipped over 4.7 million units.[92] According to NPD Group the Xbox 360 version has sold 1.14 million units and the PlayStation 3 version has sold 552,000 units as of January 2009.[93] The Xbox 360 version was the 14th best-selling game of December 2008 in the United States, while the PlayStation 3 version was the eighth best-selling PlayStation 3 game in that region and month.[94]

Of course, NV seems to be selling faster.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Reconite said:
Yes, but low sales/reviews seriously hurt their company from getting further contracts, but it looks like New Vegas has made amends to that.

Though a lot of reviews bashed the bugs, meaning Obsidian's rep for buggy releases continues, which one assumes effects how much they are paid for contract work.

I wonder how much Zenimax assumes the high sales was just brand recognition as well.

Ancient

Erudite
DalekFlay said:
One can only hope that Bethesda is working on TES5, not FO4, and that Zenimax choose to let Obsidian take FO4 and run with it.

Todd Haword is finishing 1 game(TES V) and pre-producing another(FO4)
So i must disappointed you :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"AP didn't flop for Obsidian"

Yes, it did. It hurt them big time. Thankfully, LV gave them a boost. Now, time for Obsidian to prove that they don't need a big brother babysittting them ala NWN2, KOTOR2, and FO3.5.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
DalekFlay said:
I wonder how much Zenimax assumes the high sales was just brand recognition as well.

I'm going with "mostly".

It can't hurt Obsidian, though, they might even take a few risks with their next project. Well, not that Alpha Protocol wasn't a risk, but I mean a "hey, guys, I have a great idea that might not have huge mainstream popularity" risk, not a "hey guys I smeared poo on the ceiling come and look" risk. It'll probably be more of the latter, anyway, but I live in hope.

Broseidon

Educated
I thought Obsidian only received payment for the contract to develop New Vegas, and all of the royalties go to Bethesda. I suppose their reputation could benefit from the success. My source for this information is I think I read it here on the Codex once. This is a prestigious gaming magazine after all.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Broseidon said:
I thought Obsidian only received payment for the contract to develop New Vegas, and all of the royalties go to Bethesda.

Well J.E. Sawyer said on his formspring that they typically get a flat payment and no royalties, then "milestone" payments for reaching a certain pre-order number, sales number, review score average and so on.

Whether he was talking about New Vegas or not is anyone's guess I suppose, but I would assume they got the same deal.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
It sounds like New Vegas might actually hit some of these "milestones."

Regardless, bullshit arrangement is bullshit.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not a bullshit arrangement. It's set that way because the publisher usually assumes all the risk. Obsidian still gets paid even if they produce a flopping turd, so it's only fair that the publisher gets the lion's share if they strike gold.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Lockkaliber said:
Morgoth said:
Let's talk again when Obsidian creates a game from scratch and sells 5 million units.

Yeah, like Bethesda did with Gamebryo.

:smug:

Because TES and Fallout 3 owe their immense success to the paragon of efficiency and smooth gameplay that is Gamebryo. :smug:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Morgoth said:
Let's talk again when Obsidian creates a game from scratch and sells 5 million units.

They do not have the financial backing of a Parent company like Bethesda does. So that will never ever happen.

Bakemore

Novice
Morgoth said:
Obsidian is not among the big boys now. They just took what Bethesda created and made it a bit better.

Starting with a crap game is like having one hand tied behind your back.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
This is pretty much what Obsidian has done since KOTOR2. Take a shit franchise and as best as they can make it good.

I'd be surprised if they've gotten any real money for it, though. Or reputation. Even though New Vegas is a success it's Bethesda that will unjustly benefit from it. Because Bethesda created Fallout and most gamers in 2010 don't think too much about the other logotype on the back of the box. Bethesda publishes a Fallout game equals BETHESDA IS AWESOME. They probably think Obsidian supplied Bethesda with a new version of speedtree.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Andyman Messiah said:
This is pretty much what Obsidian has done since KOTOR2. Take a shit franchise and as best as they can make it good.

lol

kotor 2 was a piece of shit and worse than 1
nwn2 was also a piece of shit worse than 1

Pretty much the only thing that was :incline: in either of those games was the crafting system.

Apart from NV Obsidian has been batting below average constantly (I never played MOTB because I ragefucked my nwn2 dvd into oblivion after a game breaking bug ended my run in the middle of the OC)

Even though New Vegas is a success it's Bethesda that will unjustly benefit from it.

How is it "unjust"? Not only did they actually make a good chunk of NV by mere virtue of the fact that NV is just one giant Fallout 3 mod, but they took a genuine risk by asking Obsidian to do it given Obsidian's rather lackluster past productions (to say the least).

Radisshu

Prophet
Hahahahahaha, fuck Bioware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom