Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas, 5 million shipped.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
In the mid 1960's a strange flash in the night sky was seen in Iron Mountain, Michigan- A remote community in the Upper Penninsula where population is very sparse.

By a strange coindence, one person observing the crash was a retired special forces operative in the United States Army. EF (as he shall be reffered to) was a retired Major who served with distinction in Korea. Thinking that the falling debris was a cumminist infiltration attempt, EF moved quickly to the scene armed only with his service .45 Browning sidearm.

As EF cautiously approached the scene, he quickly realized that this matter should involve the highest levels of the Defense Department. EF covered the crash scene with nearby foilage and droveback to town. After this official reports become sketchy, but it is assumed that EF contacted his former commanding officer Colonel GH, who immediately relayed the information to Lieutenent General KU.

KU orderd troops to secure the scene immediately, withdrawing troops scheduled to fly out for the assault on Houng Sing Yang, which coincedentely eventually led to the collapse of the South Vietnam Goverment. The reasons behind this particular decision are beyond the scope of this article.

EF, as a civilian, was a particular problem for KU. After securing the cash site, establishing local cover, and properly reporting the findings to the Undersecretary of Paranormal Investigation BE, EF was a liabilty to the US government.

KU, by express permission of BE, offered EF a deal. EF and/or his heirs (among who are TS and MCA) were granted liscensure for proprietary Mind Control technology that was set aside for long term R&D and commercialization by Haliburton and Enron.

Fast forward 30-40 years, and suddenly one Video Game developer is producing videogames which are reviewed positively by a notoriously negative internet forum.

So tell me dear reader, do you see no conspiracy here?

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Saran said:
New Vegas is a bug ridden piece of shit, and the only group of people more fucked up than the larping furries that make up the Bethesda fanbase is the cult of Obsidian.

But I'm sure all of the games problems are because the big meanie publishers bullied them into releasing the game early, am I right, fuck you Lucasarts, I mean Atari, oops I mean Sega, lol, silly me, I mean Bethesda this time, never mind the fact that alpha protocol was in development for a reasonable amount of time and came out as an utter heap of shite ( and btw, a million different choices in a game doesn't mean much when its a million choices of retarded 1990's kids cartoon bullshit) its always someone elses fault.

What the fuck is up with obsiditards hatred of Bioware?

Its bizarre, i once saw a guy say that all of the complaints about bugs in nv was a bioware plot, i shit you not, basically bioware bribe the press into saying that their games are good and obsidians are shit or some other crazy crap.

If you like obsidian games, fine, but stop with the conspiracy theory bullshit.

Bugs? There are bugs. However, it is not buggier than Fallout 2, Arcanum, Bloodlines or KOTOR were on release. I've experienced a few CTDs, nothing serious like the Society of Leopold game crash I've experienced in Bloodlines, FPS lag I've experienced in KOTOR, savegame corruption I've experienced in KOTOR 2, or main quest breaking bug I've experienced in BG. The most serious reported bug by someone is an autosave / quicksave corruption, which is a Steam issue (why would anybody use Steam in the first place is beyond me). However, as the mentioned examples show, bugs can be either fixed or worked around (ini editting in KOTOR and console commands in Bloodlines). Of course, morons are unable to do a little research and work around bugs (seriously, it doesn't take a Brian surgeon to browse the web for solutions for encountered problems, edit ini files and enter console commands) and instead choose to waste their time whining. A little less conversation, a little more action, please. Not that it excuses Obsidian, Troika, Bioware, Bethesda, Black Isle, Interplay etc. from having inadequate QA.

A well designed buggy game remains a well designed game after the bugs are fixed. Badly designed game remains a badly designed game regardless of the bugs. Alpha protocol couldn't be salvaged if it had zero bugs on release, it's just awfully designed game.

Of course, arguing that the bugs aren't Obsidian's fault is ludicrous - it's their fault and their obligation to fix them, but the bugginess of their product is within the order of magnitude of the bugginess of other good RPGs, like some I mentioned. Definitely not the reason for screaming and tearing your hair. Unless you are a consoletard, but in that case only God can help you.

Saran

Scholar
BLOBERT said:
In the mid 1960's a strange flash in the night sky was seen in Iron Mountain, Michigan- A remote community in the Upper Penninsula where population is very sparse.

By a strange coindence, one person observing the crash was a retired special forces operative in the United States Army. EF (as he shall be reffered to) was a retired Major who served with distinction in Korea. Thinking that the falling debris was a cumminist infiltration attempt, EF moved quickly to the scene armed only with his service .45 Browning sidearm.

As EF cautiously approached the scene, he quickly realized that this matter should involve the highest levels of the Defense Department. EF covered the crash scene with nearby foilage and droveback to town. After this official reports become sketchy, but it is assumed that EF contacted his former commanding officer Colonel GH, who immediately relayed the information to Lieutenent General KU.

KU orderd troops to secure the scene immediately, withdrawing troops scheduled to fly out for the assault on Houng Sing Yang, which coincedentely eventually led to the collapse of the South Vietnam Goverment. The reasons behind this particular decision are beyond the scope of this article.

EF, as a civilian, was a particular problem for KU. After securing the cash site, establishing local cover, and properly reporting the findings to the Undersecretary of Paranormal Investigation BE, EF was a liabilty to the US government.

KU, by express permission of BE, offered EF a deal. EF and/or his heirs (among who are TS and MCA) were granted liscensure for proprietary Mind Control technology that was set aside for long term R&D and commercialization by Haliburton and Enron.

Fast forward 30-40 years, and suddenly one Video Game developer is producing videogames which are reviewed positively by a notoriously negative internet forum.

So tell me dear reader, do you see no conspiracy here?

no lizard people, no planet x, no international banker cabal, somethings fishy, i think your a neo-cum psy-op false flagger working with the muslims to bring about a weakening of cleves depleted uranium strength skeleton so that the british royal family may finally eat my face without fear of retribution

and you call yourself a bro

Saran

Scholar
janjetina said:
Saran said:
New Vegas is a bug ridden piece of shit, and the only group of people more fucked up than the larping furries that make up the Bethesda fanbase is the cult of Obsidian.

But I'm sure all of the games problems are because the big meanie publishers bullied them into releasing the game early, am I right, fuck you Lucasarts, I mean Atari, oops I mean Sega, lol, silly me, I mean Bethesda this time, never mind the fact that alpha protocol was in development for a reasonable amount of time and came out as an utter heap of shite ( and btw, a million different choices in a game doesn't mean much when its a million choices of retarded 1990's kids cartoon bullshit) its always someone elses fault.

What the fuck is up with obsiditards hatred of Bioware?

Its bizarre, i once saw a guy say that all of the complaints about bugs in nv was a bioware plot, i shit you not, basically bioware bribe the press into saying that their games are good and obsidians are shit or some other crazy crap.

If you like obsidian games, fine, but stop with the conspiracy theory bullshit.

Bugs? There are bugs. However, it is not buggier than Fallout 2, Arcanum, Bloodlines or KOTOR were on release. I've experienced a few CTDs, nothing serious like the Society of Leopold game crash I've experienced in Bloodlines, FPS lag I've experienced in KOTOR, savegame corruption I've experienced in KOTOR 2, or main quest breaking bug I've experienced in BG. The most serious reported bug by someone is an autosave / quicksave corruption, which is a Steam issue (why would anybody use Steam in the first place is beyond me). However, as the mentioned examples show, bugs can be either fixed or worked around (ini editting in KOTOR and console commands in Bloodlines). Of course, morons are unable to do a little research and work around bugs (seriously, it doesn't take a Brian surgeon to browse the web for solutions for encountered problems, edit ini files and enter console commands) and instead choose to waste their time whining. A little less conversation, a little more action, please. Not that it excuses Obsidian, Troika, Bioware, Bethesda, Black Isle, Interplay etc. from having inadequate QA.

A well designed buggy game remains a well designed game after the bugs are fixed. Badly designed game remains a badly designed game regardless of the bugs. Alpha protocol couldn't be salvaged if it had zero bugs on release, it's just awfully designed game.

Of course, arguing that the bugs aren't Obsidian's fault is ludicrous - it's their fault and their obligation to fix them, but the bugginess of their product is within the order of magnitude of the bugginess of other good RPGs, like some I mentioned. Definitely not the reason for screaming and tearing your hair. Unless you are a consoletard, but in that case only God can help you.

oh I agree for the most part, and while I haven't bought the game yet, my brother has had shitloads of problems with broken quests, ridiculous slowdown and crashes as you enter the strip, and most people report the same sort of stuff too, which makes it a lot buggier than fallout 3 at release (and that was a pretty buggy game)

i just dont see whats so amazing about new vegas, even ignoring the bugs, sure its a little better than fallout 3 but its not the second coming that the weirdo obsidian fans make it out to be, thats all, i dont see anything wrong with enjoying it, just the irrational hatred for other developers as if they are fucking obsidian over in some evil plot plus the bullshit about obsidian being "OMG, TEH GRETEST VIDEO GAME WRITERS EVER, KOTOR 2 IS TEH WAR AND PEACE OF OUR GENRATUN!!!"

Obsidian have proven time and again that they are terrible at polishing their games, and im sick and tired of the excuses from the fanboys, whether its in the comment section of a review site, on the bethesda or obsidian forums or in places like neogaf , something awful or here at the codex they begin blubbering about KOTOR 2's , Alpha Protocol's or MotB's writing like a FF7 Fanboy reminiscing about Aeris's death.

xemous

Arcane
lol Bethesda's so shit even obsidian can make a better sequel

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Saran said:
oh I agree for the most part, and while I haven't bought the game yet, my brother has had shitloads of problems with broken quests, ridiculous slowdown and crashes as you enter the strip, and most people report the same sort of stuff too, which makes it a lot buggier than fallout 3 at release (and that was a pretty buggy game)

When it comes to new RPGs, it is prudent to wait until the first patch / update / fixpack, either official or unofficial comes out. Usually it's a few days at the most. I always scour the internet for patches and fixpacks before running any game. I play NV with 2 official updates and an unofficial fix compilation. Also, since NV comes with Steam activation, I use the SKIDROW version (though I have ordered the original game, in box of course, after the initial 'test drive'), as in other cases when the original game discs contain malware (e.g. MOTB).

i just dont see whats so amazing about new vegas, even ignoring the bugs, sure its a little better than fallout 3 but its not the second coming that the weirdo obsidian fans make it out to be, thats all, i dont see anything wrong with enjoying it, just the irrational hatred for other developers as if they are fucking obsidian over in some evil plot plus the bullshit about obsidian being "OMG, TEH GRETEST VIDEO GAME WRITERS EVER, KOTOR 2 IS TEH WAR AND PEACE OF OUR GENRATUN!!!"

For me, it is more like ''the writing is good enough to maintain suspension of disbelief, enhance the atmosphere and help depict the setting''. No writing in a game can parallel a really good book, but in combination with player interaction it can make a very enjoyable experience. On the other hand, bad writing can be a dealbreaker, especially combined with the mediocre or worse combat system and quest design. Well depicted setting that is in line with the Fallout cannon is another plus, and so is quest design. Sillelak's post on the http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... c&start=50 page is a pretty good and detailed explanation of what makes F:NV a good game. Still, combat system prevents F:NV from being a great game.

Bioware is a mixed bag, but they tend to make almost each new game worse than the one before it, so it's the epitome of decline. All Bioware games follow the same quest structure and feature approximately the same level of writing (mediocre, but acceptable), but almost each new one has progressively worse interface, less complex character system and worse combat system. And the trend seems to continue, with DA2 being Asseffectified.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom