Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New X-Com incoming

Multi-headed Cow

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

2K Games Announces XCOM® - Suspense and Mystery-Filled First-Person Shooter from Creators of BioShock® 2

Award-winning developers set their sights on re-imagining the suspense, tension and fear of one of gaming’s most beloved franchises only on Xbox 360 and Windows PC

New York, NY – April 14, 2010– 2K Games announced today that XCOM®,the re-imagining of one of gaming’s most storied and beloved franchises,is currently in development at 2K Marin, the studio behind the multi-million unit selling BioShock® 2.Currently in development exclusively for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC, XCOM combines the strategic core of the groundbreaking franchise with a suspense-filled narrative and distills it into a tense and unique first-person shooter experience.

“With BioShock 2, the team at 2K Marin proved themselves as masters of first-person, suspenseful storytelling, and with XCOM they will re-imagine and expand the rich lore of this revered franchise,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Players will explore the world of XCOM from an immersive new perspective and experience firsthand the fear and tension of this gripping narrative ride.”

XCOM is the re-imagining of the classic tale of humanity’s struggle against an unknown enemy that puts players directly into the shoes of an FBI agent tasked with identifying and eliminating the growing threat. True to the roots of the franchise, players will be placed in charge of overcoming high-stake odds through risky strategic gambits coupled with heart-stopping combat experiences that pit human ingenuity – and frailty – against a foe beyond comprehension. By setting the game in a first-person perspective, players will be able to feel the tension and fear that comes with combating a faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into our world.

XCOM is not yet rated by the ESRB. For more information on XCOM please visit www.XCOM.com.

POPAMOLE XCOM ENGAGING EMOTIONS EXPERIENCE

Multi-headed Cow

I'm also bummed out that they're having fucking retarded 2K Marin working on this instead of Irrational. For all the Codex's bitching, Bioshock 1 was excellent. Bioshock 2 was a pretty pale imitator.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
I'd love a first-person turn-based:

Enemy Movement

"What? WTF is this shit?! I can't move?!"

*AUUUGH*

"Oh god, what was that?! I think it came from... ALL AROUND curse these monoaural sounds."

*dok dok dok dok*

"OH god, is someone wearing clogs? Who's there??"

etc.

It'd be fucking brilliant.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really should get to playing the original. I liked Jagged Alliance 2, so hopefully it won't be difficult to understand.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
If it's like the cancelled X-Com: Alliance, this could be cool. If it's just a shooter set in the XCOM "universe", why bother? It's not like XCOM is especially rich in lore.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

NO, NO, NO, NO, FUCKING NO

MetalCraze

Arcane
That's like totally unpredictable news that we've heard last year.

Of course it will suck hard, I just wish it never touched PC. The platform has enough shit as it is.

Rohit_N said:
I really should get to playing the original. I liked Jagged Alliance 2, so hopefully it won't be difficult to understand.

JA2 is vastly superior and vastly more complex than X-Com. So if you want a more simple but good tactics game - yeah go for the original.

Silellak

Cipher
OP did a p. good job, that parody press release almost had me until about halfway through. Just a little too stupid and buzz-word-filled to be real, though.

Reality said:
It's real.
:rage:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Hobo Elf said:
I wonder if it will have deep and complex moral choices like Bioshock had with the Little Sisters.

Yes, just that it will have you saving zombies from Chryssalids.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Fucking awesome news.

FPS > TB strategy. Always.

CoverSubsFINAL--article_image.jpg

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The only XCOM strategy game I'd accept would have to come from Firaxis - they're the only ones left that have a fucking clue of that genre.

But Irrational/2K are doing what they're doing best - crafting brilliant story-driven first-person shooters. That what count's the most, not the XCOM setting, that's only secondary.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And what is most absurd about this is, of course, the same old retarded song:

xcom.com said:
By setting the game in a first-person perspective, players will be able to feel the tension and fear that comes with combating a faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into our world.

For fuck's sake... Ask anyone who played Terror From The Deep if he needed FIRST PERSON to feel the tension while raiding an alien base full of tentaculats and mind-controlling aquatoids.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom