Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New X-Com incoming

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
FPS?

Hahahaha.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Morgoth said:
Fucking awesome news.

FPS > TB strategy. Always.

CoverSubsFINAL--article_image.jpg

Oldtimers who had something intelligent to say, like Rosh, Saint Proverbius, Spazmo and Otaku_Hanzo are gone, but dumbfucks like Morgoth and Demonking persist. Decline of the Codex indeed.
By the way, isn't it a little late for April's Fools?

Multi-headed Cow

Morgoth said:
The only XCOM strategy game I'd accept would have to come from Firaxis - they're the only ones left that have a fucking clue of that genre.

But Irrational/2K are doing what they're doing best - crafting brilliant story-driven first-person shooters. That what count's the most, not the XCOM setting, that's only secondary.
Two things. One, there are rumors Firaxis is making a turn based strategy game with the license at the same time but nothing is confirmed and I would doubt it. And two, this isn't Irrational. Irrational is Irrational again, 2K Marin are the pussies who didn't like Ken Levine and splintered off to milk the Bioshock name and made a comparatively shitty sequel.

Unless you're just trolling me, in which case :aircraftcarrier:

Tails

Arbiter
Well the franchise was raped long time ago, so there is no real need to rage. X-Com made by someone else then Gollops, can't beat the original.

Big Nose George

Educated
I predict:
Popamole
Autoheal
No resemblance to Xcom1 or 2 for that matter

So exactly like Bioshock, that awesome gaming experience...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I also love how the main character is not even going to be an x-com operative, but an FBI AGENT.

FFS

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well in the press release they clearly state it's true to the roots, which means you know what when it comes to gaming PR so duh

Tails

Arbiter
Darth Roxor said:
I also love how the main character is not even going to be an x-com operative, but an FBI AGENT.

FFS
X-COM is only a name, but people will get exited about it, even console kiddies who don't know shit about previous games since it's revival of legendary franchise by dudes from Bioshock2! It reminds me the whole Warcraft 3 hype among some people from my town. They never player second neither first part, but IT WILL BE AWESOME BECAUSE BLIZZARD is doing it. Reality was different, but target was achieved.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Game can only be saved if it was like swat 4 where it was mostly breaching and entering and the focus of the game was subduing aliens rather than straight gunning shit down.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
fizzelopeguss said:
Game can only be saved if it was like swat 4 where it was mostly breaching and entering and the focus of the game was subduing aliens rather than straight gunning shit down.
An X-Com Alliance like SWAT-based shooter would have indeed been interesting.

But from the artworks it looks the game's set in the 50s or 60s.

lightbane

Arcane
Well, you knew it was gonna happen. Now the question is besides regenerating health shit, how much dumbed down will it be? Obviously any investigation tech-tree will be gone (you will probably be able to use alien weapons effortlessly but if you spent x investigation points you get to do a bit more of damage). Oh, and what about DLCs?

Include the new and exciting heavy plasma rifle - 1 DLC for 5 $
Add insta-zombification effect for the Chrysalids- Another DLC for 10 $

Perhaps Enforcer was a reveal of what was to come...

PS: But if they continue updating the "After" series I'm fine.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think the most important question hasn't been addressed yet: what about sweaty alien seckz?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Darth Roxor said:
And what is most absurd about this is, of course, the same old retarded song:

xcom.com said:
By setting the game in a first-person perspective, players will be able to feel the tension and fear that comes with combating a faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into our world.

For fuck's sake... Ask anyone who played Terror From The Deep if he needed FIRST PERSON to feel the tension while raiding an alien base full of tentaculats and mind-controlling aquatoids.
This.

I wouldn't mind an X-Com spin-off that would be a Rainbow Six/Operation Flashpoint-style tactical shooter, though.

Tails said:
Well the franchise was raped long time ago, so there is no real need to rage. X-Com made by someone else then Gollops, can't beat the original.
Gollops went next-gen with X-Com3 and Laser Squad Nemesis, so I can't agree with that.

Tails

Arbiter
lightbane said:
PS: But if they continue updating the "After" series I'm fine.
Altar start to focus on other games, the odds that they revive UFO series are pretty low. Those games weren't good anyway.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Big Nose George said:
I predict:
Popamole
Autoheal

To be fair Bioshock had neither of the former
and yes that's about the one good thing I can say about this. FFS

Hobo Elf

Arcane
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Big Nose George said:
I predict:
Popamole
Autoheal

To be fair Bioshock had neither of the former
and yes that's about the one good thing I can say about this. FFS

It didn't have Autoheal. It had IDDQD, unless you played on the hardest difficulty which was still easy as hell.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
In before FBI Agent's partner is Sectoid in disguise, misleading the player into dooming the Earth into slavery. :roll:

No, these will be the ending choices:

A. As an evil killer of aliens, you singlehandedly defeat the alien threat and use their technology to become robohitler and take over the world. You rule with an iron fist... until the aliens friends sleeping deep under the earth begin to wake.

B. As a good hearted person with love for the world, you and the aliens reach a mutual understanding and love in a happy multiracial utopian society forever... until the alien's friends sleeping deep under the earth begin to wake.

KurtH

Liturgist
Honestly though, is there even an audience for turn-based strategy games any more outside of masochists who like to play Jagged Alliance 2 mods? You can't really blame them for this decision to change the genre. They couldn't have turned it into a RTT game either because that genre is fail with a gamepad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom