Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New X-Com incoming

1eyedking

Erudite
Sovard said:
I'd love a first-person turn-based:

Enemy Movement

"What? WTF is this shit?! I can't move?!"

*AUUUGH*

"Oh god, what was that?! I think it came from... ALL AROUND curse these monoaural sounds."

*dok dok dok dok*

"OH god, is someone wearing clogs? Who's there??"

etc.

It'd be fucking brilliant.
Fucking awesome! :D

Vault Dweller said:
What's not to like? It had vaults, and super mutants, and SPECIAL, and even the pip-boy. It's hard to imagine a sequel more faithful to the spirit of the original.
Shut up you condoned that game.

"It was good for what it was", you said. Now where had I heard that as well?

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Occasionally Fatal said:
9ad3wx.jpg

Needs to be made into an emoticon here... :D

catfood

AGAIN
Awesome a new console shooter with aliens. Haven't seen one of them in long time. I can't wait to play it on my XBOX 360.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well at least if this turned out to be true the rumour about Firaxis doing an X-Com based tactical strategy will turn out to be true too.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Hey guys, I heard a new X-Com game is being made, aren't you all happy? Some people will start playing the older ones, hurrray! Maybe it will re-animate the franchise.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Well at least if this turned out to be true the rumour about Firaxis doing an X-Com based tactical strategy will turn out to be true too.

You speak as if good things happen in this world.

Black

Arcane
lol maybe u fags should move with the times and accept evolushon noone wants to play you're outdated tran-based shit its not 1939 anymawr

Achilles

Arcane
MetalCraze said:

I really wish it's true. I consider Ufo: Enemy Unknown to be the best game ever made and if the only "sequel" we get is this shooter from 2K Marin, part of my gaming personality will die forever. I know it sounds silly and pathetic to care so much, but I do. I can't help it. :cry:

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Black said:
Wait, I just noticed it's not X-Com but XCOM.
Seems like an EXTREMELY XTREME version of XCOM with alien collar-grabbing.

See the end of intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnxO6s41Gc8

LOL! That was the most awesomely bad intro movie to a mid-90s Command and Conquer knock-off I've ever seen. I love how noone takes cover, and instead they stand immobile in the open decapitating each other with their fire.

Hory

Erudite
It's almost as if the industry is on its way to proving its incompetence by eventually reaching a point where all old games have been remade yet all new games are worse! I don't know if that will be the point in which it completely collapses as sales of new games reach zero, or if it will be the point at which old games are finally forgotten by the public at large, incompatible with any new systems and remembered only in the dusty halls of some museum.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Overweight Manatee said:
Of course, this won't get developer's to admit there is a market for anything other then FPS's.

You're off by one word. Replace "developers" with "publishers".

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1eyedking said:
Vault Dweller said:
What's not to like? It had vaults, and super mutants, and SPECIAL, and even the pip-boy. It's hard to imagine a sequel more faithful to the spirit of the original.
Shut up you condoned that game.
I surely did.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47347

"Even though the box clearly states that it’s Fallout and adds a very convincing "3", it’s not a Fallout game. It's not even a game inspired by Fallout, as I had hoped. It's a game that contains a loose assortment of familiar Fallout concepts and names, which is why you start the game in a "Vault", get a "Pipboy" device, become buddies with the "Brotherhood of Steel", shoot some "Super Mutants", and stop the evil "Enclave" from doing bad things to good people in a post-apocalyptic "retro-future" America.
The biggest problem is not so much that it isn’t Fallout, but rather that the setting doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. Bethesda had an opportunity to craft a cohesive “living & breathing” world, but instead chose to build an amusement park with a bit of everything ‘cool’ they could think of. To be fair, some things Bethesda did are brilliant and atmospheric, but they are isolated elements that never form a coherent and consistent world that makes even the most basic sense.
Fallout's S.P.E.C.I.A.L. (Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, Luck) was tweaked to allow any character to survive and beat the game. The consequences of this choice are that stats are less important, all characters' combat worthiness is about the same, and returns on stat investments are greatly decreased.
The main quest is one of the game's biggest weaknesses. It doesn't make sense. The water contains radiation and thus isn't safe to drink. Maybe if people stopped playing with nuclear catapults and blowing up nuclear cars, the situation would improve…

You spend some time searching for your father, asking everyone "have you seen my father, the middle-aged guy?", and that's the best part of the main quest and the game. Once you're reunited, the game hops on rails and takes you on a magical tour through one of the most idiotic game endings in the history of video games. Investing into a pair of good writers and story-tellers should be the top priority for Bethesda. The drop in quality, comparing the game to Daggerfall and Morrowind, is very noticeable and painful to experience.
... the writing. At best it’s passable, at worst it’s horrible, especially when it comes to dialogue stat checks. It feels like the writer had no clue what an intelligent or charismatic or perceptive person might say, so your intelligent lines often look absolutely idiotic.
Unfortunately, the combat system is mediocre at best and the only thing that could be described as "fucking hilarious" is Bethesda's failure to come up with something interesting and engaging.
Compared to the first two Fallout games, Fallout 3 is a pale imitation that may anger many fans of the original games. However, comparing Fallout 3 to similar games like Morrowind, Oblivion, Gothic, Two Worlds, Assassins Creed, etc presents a much more favourable reaction."

Reading comprehension is teh hard?

"It was good for what it was", you said.
And? It's quite possible that the new "XCOM" game will be a decent and very atmospheric shooter, in which case it will be good for what it is.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
It's quite possible that the new "XCOM" game will be a decent and very atmospheric shooter, in which case it will be good for what it is.

On consoles? From 2K Marin?
Haha yeah sure. How big is a chance that a very untalented studio will break 6 years of extremely shitty console shooter spree without a single one that was even good for what it is?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
MetalCraze said:
Vault Dweller said:
It's quite possible that the new "XCOM" game will be a decent and very atmospheric shooter, in which case it will be good for what it is.

Haha yeah sure. How big is a chance that a very untalented studio will break 6 years of extremely shitty console shooter spree without a single one that was even good for what it is?
Let's check:
BioShock (2008)
BioShock 2 (2010)
BioShock 3 (2012)
Yep.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
MetalCraze said:
You're just asking for a dumbfuck title, right?

You know that 1) XCOM is also coming out for PC, and 2) 2K Australia has had a history of making PC only games in the past? And quite good ones, too?

Now they're also developing for consoles. Big fucking deal!

Go back and play your shitty ARMA2 or something.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Morgoth said:
You know that 1) XCOM is also coming out for PC
So? It's still a crappy console shooter

2K Australia has had a history of making PC only games in the past? And quite good ones, too?
Examples? I didn't know Bioshock was good and PC only.
If you were trying to be a smartass and play Irrational card - sorry they are 2K Boston

Go back and play your shitty ARMA2 or something.
I smell butthurt

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MetalCraze said:
Vault Dweller said:

I'm not betting on it, but everything is possible at this stage (i.e. we don't know any details yet). The track record doesn't inspire much confidence, it's true, but I'd prefer to wait until we get some specific details and design decisions instead of jumping to conclusions.

Black

Arcane
Would you like my expert opinion or will you wait until you've played the game 3 times?

Silellak

Cipher
I wouldn't be nearly as annoyed if it were being billed as a spin-off or prequel, but it's being pimped as a re-imagining. That's the infuriating thing. "Re-imagining" X-Com as an atmospheric narrative-based FPS makes as much sense as "re-imagining" Ultima as a 2D side-scrolling puzzler.

It doesn't matter if it's a good game, the question is, why are they using the name of the X-Com franchise? Do they really have so little faith in their own game that they can't simply start a new franchise that's "inspired by" the lore of X-Com? Fucking cowards. At least Interceptor and Enforcer, as shitty as they were, were billed as spin-offs rather than "sequels" or "re-imaginings" or "shameless cash-ins on brand names that hold nostalgic value."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom