Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New X-Com incoming

Tails

Arbiter
root said:
is this http://ufo.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/ any good? it looks pretty.
Not really, unless you use the mod suggested by Lonely Vazdru. This is basically the most over hyped X-Com-like game ever, don't even believe features on the site, since they are pure lies.

Tails

Arbiter
btw. Chaos Concept release the UFO:Extraterrestrials Gold edition for Steam, with some changes:
+ Map in missions
+ Combat log
+ Bunch of new items to research and produce (proximity grenades, personal, shields, jetpacks)
+ Added possibility to hire soldiers
+ Globe UFO swarms
+ Configurability
Of course they are not available to the people who already purchased the game. In moments like this I'm glad that I didn't buy this crap.

Repressed Homosexual
OK, I never meant to state as a fact that the game sucked because it had 4X aspects. My post was only meant to be a stream of consciousness that happened whenever I tried to play a game again.

I know that animations can be sped up, but still I find the whole "hide and seek" prospect to be an exercice in tedious. There is some of that in JA2 but it's not as constant, and I still maintain that it has far better pacing. I find JA2 superior in virtually every single aspect. Plus the enemies aren't ridiculously attuned to playing hide and seek.

Too much tedium before getting to the parts that might or might not be fun. X-Com plain ain't my cup of tea, so sue me.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Tails said:
root said:
is this http://ufo.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/ any good? it looks pretty.
Not really, unless you use the mod suggested by Lonely Vazdru. This is basically the most over hyped X-Com-like game ever, don't even believe features on the site, since they are pure lies.
:lol: Matrix Games is one of the few publishers that openly lie about features present in their games. They don't try any overhyping of features like FPP or RT. No, they unashamedly write about non-existent features.

Tails

Arbiter
Humanity has risen! said:
I know that animations can be sped up, but still I find the whole "hide and seek" prospect to be an exercice in tedious.
This was the same thing that irritated me about X-Com when first time I played it, but later on I stop to worrying about it and love this feature, since it is very atmospheric. I think if you drop the attitude of taking care about soldiers you could enjoy the game. Enemy Unknown or TFTD are the one of games where loosing is fun.
There is some of that in JA2 but it's not as constant, and I still maintain that it has far better pacing. I find JA2 superior in virtually every single aspect. Plus the enemies aren't ridiculously attuned to playing hide and seek.
I find comparing JA2 and X-Com very unfair, since first, the latter game was released long time before JA2 and second, the settings and rules are way too different from each other.

Too much tedium before getting to the parts that might or might not be fun. X-Com plain ain't my cup of tea, so sue me.
This is fine with me :)

Awor Szurkrarz said:
:lol: Matrix Games is one of the few publishers that openly lie about features present in their games. They don't try any overhyping of features like FPP or RT. No, they unashamedly write about non-existent features.
Indeed. If someone takes closer look at the website, you can find many other things that were not implemented in game. It funny, since I remember all those fanboys who kick Altar UFO series by any occasion and post how Extra will be awesome UFO game. Later they suddenly disappeared from official forums after game release :lol:

Tails

Arbiter
I'm so drunk ATM that I would probably do a really shitty update. But when I sober up in few hours, for sure I will post update, since 2/3 of it is done.

laclongquan

Arcane
I played JA2 first. Never play Xcom 1 but got to play Incubation. XCom of newer versions got hyped for years but I never got past the 1st few hours. UFOET is okay. But what the fuck with this shitty one base per land? I wanna cover the whole globe with bases so that each time UFO appear my fleet of fighters will shoot them down so fast their heads spin... Lame! As it is I have to hunt down some guy who figured out the position of bases to allow nearly full coverage. I dont mind work but I mind the limited firepower.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Google UFO: Alien Invasion for some more goodness. I didn't like ET that much even though I bought it :( The Altair games were decent but the battle controls always do me in.

"Humanity has risen!",
don't compare JA2 and X-Com on game mechanics, for they are wholly different generations. Compare original JA and X-Com. If you want to compare to JA2, then you should use X-COM Apocalypse, the third iteration of the series, which had both RT and TB.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
GarfunkeL said:
Google UFO: Alien Invasion for some more goodness.
I remember trying UFO:AI. I remember seeing some cool new things, but lack of destructible terrain and much less dark and scary atmosphere were a big turn-off to me.
I always liked how violent X-Com/Laser Squad was without even using gore. In X-Com it was achieved mainly by sound effects, on Laser Squad on C64 it was achieved using sound and visual effects. The sounds - screams, shots of alien weapons, etc. were very sharp. Even buttons made more "noise" than one would expect from them.

GarfunkeL said:
"Humanity has risen!",
don't compare JA2 and X-Com on game mechanics, for they are wholly different generations. Compare original JA and X-Com. If you want to compare to JA2, then you should use X-COM Apocalypse, the third iteration of the series, which had both RT and TB.
JA2s mechanics rape X-Com3 hard. X-Com3 combat is broken. It's both RT and TB which means that neither mode is properly balanced. Advanced weapons got much less deadly, more everyone has more HP than in X-Com1. Firing modes got completely fucked - there's no proper burst and full-auto mode, but only different firing speeds.
On the other hand, X-Com3s initial weapon selection rapes JA2 and its army with pistols even harder.

Fez

Erudite
Disappointing, really. I think this one has also been tainted by the misassociation in my eyes.

Tails

Arbiter
If someone show me this second screenshot without telling that it's Xcom, I would say they are from some mobster game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom