Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Next-Gen Graphics Whoring

What do you think?

• Yay!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nay!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Xi

Arcane
Since all we ever get is graphics these days, they might as well look good. Check out the latest iteration of the Unreal Engine 3 running on some insanely high-end PC with 3 gtx 580s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3XeCHyw ... r_embedded

unrealengine3march200004.jpg

I wonder how much it would cost to make games that look like that? 50 Million? It's practically movie quality.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Getting a Blade Runner vibe from that image. Ill watch the video later, being lazy today.

MapMan

Arcane
Xi didnt you leave, out of shame, after the onlive thing? Or am I confusing people here?

Xi

Arcane
MapMan said:
Xi didnt you leave, out of shame, after the onlive thing? Or am I confusing people here?

Why would I be ashamed? Because a bunch of complete retards think poorly of me? Haha! The Codex was touting that Onlive was not possible, I was simply arguing that it was, and I was correct. Go figure. In terms of their service? Well, I would use it, but I am at the furthest point from their data centers, and they don't offer any games that require that type of service yet.

However, if they could get a game like the demo video shows here running, I'm sure more than a few people would opt to use their service as opposed to dropping 2-3K on a retarded high end PC. That was the point from the very beginning.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Well, well, well.
3D finally started looking good. Finally I see something that doesn't look like puke with blurred textures :incline: .

Felix

Arcane
UE3 looks wet so might as well have rain, right ?

Rogue

Educated
yea i'd like to see an image in daytime when you can actually see shit

also I agree that it's about time 3D showed some improvement. however consoletarts will have to wait a while. current gen can't even handle certain games in 1080p ... and AA? forget about it. but since consoles will hopefully die before next gen, consoletarts will get nothing. but in reality probably pc will become more like console. a shitty future ahead.

turul

Augur
Xi said:

They still can't make a face, where I would be debating if it's real or not. They are just somehow soulless mannequin looking plastic figures.

desocupado

Magister
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Well, well, well.
3D finally started looking good. Finally I see something that doesn't look like puke with blurred textures :incline: .

Blurred puke were those infinity engine sprites. THAT looked like blurred puke.

juggernaut

Educated
turul said:
They still can't make a face, where I would be debating if it's real or not. They are just somehow soulless mannequin looking plastic figures.

Yeah, although it did look like a movie to me until the first close-up. I'd love to see a dinosaur game with this tech, in a really dense jungle.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THIS IS SHIT ALL GAMES ARE ABOUT NOPRFWADYS IS GRAPHISCJS

ALSO BECAUSE OF CONSOLES GRAPHICS ARE SHIT I AM SICK OF SHIT GRAPHICS BRECAUSE OF SCONSOLS

MetalCraze

Arcane
Those are fake images

Remember when Epic presented UT3? And how UT3 looked in reality?

Unreal-Tournament-311996.jpg

Unreal-Tournament-3-face2face-1353.jpg

Xi said:
I wonder how much it would cost to make games that look like that? 50 Million? It's practically movie quality.

Poor Xi. He believes money make graphics

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
zbrush normal map models are of a higher quality than that. Alot of the work and cost involved is in nuking that shit down to something that'll run on puny machines.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
MetalCraze said:
Those are fake images

Remember when Epic presented UT3? And how UT3 looked in reality?

And has there been any UE3 game so far that hasn't been made with primarily consoles in mind?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
fizzelopeguss said:
fake images when it's been seen running in realtime and powered by 3 GTX 580's.

REAL TIME AND GTX 580s WERE A FAKE BRO, DON'T ARGUE WITH SKYWAY

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Konjad said:
fucking consoles :x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA378g_gD1I

This is what a PC exclusive looks like. With Crysis 2 looking worst then the original, i wonder if this might be a sign of an incoming crisis coming. Graphics whores might actually end up saving the PC.

One thing i don't understand though is why companies like Intel or NVidia don't start investing more into new technologies and trying to rape consoles in every way possible. I find it odd how they are just abiding passively while their primary market gets robbed under their feet.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Xi said:
Since all we ever get is graphics these days, they might as well look good. Check out the latest iteration of the Unreal Engine 3 running on some insanely high-end PC with 3 gtx 580s:

The technology might be impressive, but Unreal Engine always end up looking like shit. They really need to hire better artists.

Destroid

Arcane
The video card companies are on board, PS3 and Xbox use ATI and Nvidia chips (forget which way around).

DraQ

Arcane
Xi said:

Looks much better in shot than in video, actually.

Still, it does look rather impressive and there is little reason to actually develop graphics past this point.

ortucis

Prophet
Morgoth said:
I don't even want to imagine what kind of budget and artist army you need to make a game in such fidelity.

Three people worked on this GDC presentation (it was shown live behind closed doors to all licensees). Epic will release a HD video soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom