Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Next-Gen Graphics Whoring

What do you think?

• Yay!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nay!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

praetor

Arcane
impressive. most impressive. now somebody do a pc-exclusive game with this

ortucis

Prophet
praetor said:
impressive. most impressive. now somebody do a pc-exclusive game with this

It could be possible but unfortunately most UDK users are busy making cartoon games like Dungeon Defenders.

Don't expect a DX11 feature-filled PC game from Indies anytime soon.

The real difficulty is in the motion. It is quite possible to stage an image in a game engine of today that is mistake-ably photo-realistic, but as soon as you animate it and see it all moving, it is very clear how far they have to go to get to 1:1 realistic. That is why game screenshots can be so deceiving these days; it is just that much easier to make something look great when there is nothing moving in it.

Xi

Arcane
I posted a low quality video of it in action. It's more than just images. Also, an HD vid is going to be released to the public. The above video(if it hasnt been taken down) was shot from an iphone or the liike.

ortucis

Prophet
Uh, people thought it was just images? Like I said, it was a demo (read = actual in-game demo, playable) shown to licensees at GDC.

Oh and the UDK update comes tomorrow with all these features. :)

baronjohn

Cipher
Doesn't look as good in motion. Also, the content looks like banal, shit, boring.

Gord

Arcane
Although it makes me feel dirty, my inner graphics whore gets all excited by this.

I would like to know what their engine could do on typical 2011 gaming pc, though...

Sigh... too bad it's always multi-platform with shitty consoles.

On slightly related news, I've read about some rumors that Micro$oft has started hiring developers for the next-gen Xbox.

I expect the next big step in graphics once next-gen consoles hit the shelves. :(

a budda

Arbiter
the translation of moore's law for gpus says we'll get photorealistic graphics around 2015

next-gen consoles might appear a bit earlier and definitely won't have more than 3 gtx580s onboard - it's fucking expensive and still will be at the the time they get realeased

3D will get mainstream by 2015 and you need around twice that power to run it in 3D

ergo: console games will not look like this
pc games will look even better :smug:

onlive and the likes will take much more time, you need really fucking brilliant connection to play in 5760x1080 in 3D and if you want 60fps with that it's nigh impossible

not to mention consoles will never manage that :smug:

ortucis

Prophet
One more console gen and PC gamers can kiss most PC games goodbye.

Either way, the demo was amazing, I loved it (but then again, biased user :P). Lets focus on the fact that UDK is for PC/Mac and all Indie developers are using it to create PC only games. AAA studios will do what they always do, multiplatform.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Destroid said:
The video card companies are on board, PS3 and Xbox use ATI and Nvidia chips (forget which way around).

But most of their money comes from PC sales regardless. Console contracts are bulk sales of cheap technology.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Lyric Suite said:
Konjad said:
fucking consoles :x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA378g_gD1I

This is what a PC exclusive looks like. With Crysis 2 looking worst then the original, i wonder if this might be a sign of an incoming crisis coming. Graphics whores might actually end up saving the PC.

One thing i don't understand though is why companies like Intel or NVidia don't start investing more into new technologies and trying to rape consoles in every way possible. I find it odd how they are just abiding passively while their primary market gets robbed under their feet.

And that is the reason why Nvidia and Ati are pouring cash in GPGPU and integrated low end stuff for handheld devices (TEGRA and the likes for cellphones, smartphones, tabs etc...) instead of high-end PC stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom