Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Next step after DnD

Barbarian

Arcane
Nothing, stay with D&D. Or better yet, start playing the older editions.

Maybe it's nostalgia speaking, but I've always felt things went downhill after 3.5. Not just because of the shitty changes they made to core, but the lore man. They changed so much stuff. Guess mostly everybody around here who is in the mid-20s to early 30's age range played tabletop at some point and had a blast with Torment, Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate in the late 90's and early 2000's. After getting used to the very consistent universe and rules and enjoying so many good games using it, I felt the changes broke everything. To be completely honest, I was already barely playing when 4e came out. The shittyness just helped me stop it completely.

The thing with D&D is that everybody is so familiarized with the setting and rules. Even people who never played tabletop get the basic hang of it because of all the computer games using it. It was always the best to play because of that.

v1rus

Arcane
Ty all for the comments :)

DnD clones, got it. For the first session, i think will try out "Fiasco" - it's a thin book, and the game lasts no more than three hours. How hard can it be?

Any of you guys tried it out?

PLAY DUNGEON CRAWL CLASSICS YOU CUCK

It's in caps, so it must be true! Right, since we already got Fiasco, Dungeon Crawl Classics is gonna be the next one.

Alex

Arcane

DnD clones, got it. For the first session, i think will try out "Fiasco" - it's a thin book, and the game lasts no more than three hours. How hard can it be?

Ugh, those forge games are terrible. At least sorcerer still looked like an RPG.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
v1rus Discounting disciplines, actual V20 rules only make up around a tenth of the book, and most of them can be handwaved anyway. As GM, I got my players to make their characters before the session, then printed handouts for their disciplines so they only had to read like a page of stuff. There are also some nice fanmade cheat sheets floating around online.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Been playing 5e for about 6 months now, first as a player, now as a DM. I'm getting to the point where I'm getting interested in other PnP games. So what's a good logical move from DnD? I'd prefer to move away from fantasy.

GURPS and some of the White Wolf books, especially "Vampire: Dark Ages". White Wolf books are like DnD in the sense that they are plagued with bureaucracy and complicated rules. Instead of throwing dices all the time, use your common sense.

nikolokolus

Arcane

PLAY DUNGEON CRAWL CLASSICS YOU CUCK

It's in caps, so it must be true! Right, since we already got Fiasco, Dungeon Crawl Classics is gonna be the next one.
I won't bother with ALL CAPS, but DCC RPG is a lot of fun. They even get race-as-class right (and I fucking hated race-as-class back in the day). The magic system alone is worth the price of admission.

Don Peste

Arcane
Has anyone played The Black Hack? I got the Kickstarter but I still haven't tried it.

178359-thumb140.jpg

The Black Hack is a super-streamlined roleplaying game that uses the Original 1970s Fantasy Roleplaying Game as a base, and could well be the most straightforward modern OSR compatible clone available. If speed of play and character creation, compatibility, and simple - yet elegant rules are what you yearn for. Look no further!

The Black Hack is a fast playing game and the rules can be picked up in minutes. The full rules fit in a single 20 page A5 book!

Here's a few quotes from the playtesting sessions of the game:

Mick Reddick - "Black Hack... Played this in beta and can honestly say this is as much fun as you can have with a retro clone! Simple, Streamlined and Superb."

Tony Tucker - "The Black Hack is so simple and flexible I can run it off the top of my head. Think up some weird monsters, give them some hit dice and go crazy!"

Daniel Sell, Undercroft ‘zine - "David black designs with spunk. Sharp and funny, full of the old spirit.”

Chris McDowall, Into the Odd - "Blackhack is three-chord D&D. It hand picks the best parts of the game's forty year history and distills it down to its firey, addictive spirit. Everything discarded is soon forgotten."

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/178359/The-Black-Hack
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1730454032/the-black-hack

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't, but one of my players has run a few sessions with complete newbies who had had no experience with gaming. It is a very simple, very fast system that works reasonably well, but doesn't really distinguish itself from other minimalist systems. That is, it is good if you need one, but if you already have a favourite, there isn't any big reason to switch.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
How does Dark Heresy compare to Rogue Trader?

Dark Heresy is you being an Inquisitor's bitch. Rogue Trader is you being a rich Rogue Trader... or his bitch, which is still better than the former option.

DH is supposed to be an investigation-like kind of game. Usually it ends in a massive shootout and praying to God-Emperor that you handler won't terminate you for being a retard.

Rogue Trader is a much more free spirited game. You can employ Xenos, visit other worlds outside of Imperium's margin and have awesome toys to play with. It's also much more economic in it's gameplay, especially in later stages of the game.
(snip...)
Dark Heresy has a lot less retarded systems, though.

Aye, but it's still retarded when compared to Only War, the only (hehehe) good WH40K RPG out there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom