Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Next step after DnD

Alex

Arcane
How does Dark Heresy compare to Rogue Trader?

Dark Heresy is you being an Inquisitor's bitch. Rogue Trader is you being a rich Rogue Trader... or his bitch, which is still better than the former option.

DH is supposed to be an investigation-like kind of game. Usually it ends in a massive shootout and praying to God-Emperor that you handler won't terminate you for being a retard.

Rogue Trader is a much more free spirited game. You can employ Xenos, visit other worlds outside of Imperium's margin and have awesome toys to play with. It's also much more economic in it's gameplay, especially in later stages of the game.
(snip...)
Dark Heresy has a lot less retarded systems, though.

Lythandra

Educated
Is Rifts still around? That was my favorite high tech pnp game back in the late 90s. I never could get into Vampire and most of the other newer ones.

Mustawd

Dustin DePenning

Literate
Is Rifts still around? That was my favorite high tech pnp game back in the late 90s. I never could get into Vampire and most of the other newer ones.
I don't know if anyone's still playing the original version, but a new version for Savage Worlds was on Kickstarter recently. It made about 5500% of its goal.

Isn't the SW ruleset pretty popular? I'm surprised it'd need a kickstarter at all...
Kickstarter = preorders in this case.

Dustin DePenning

Literate
Also, medium sized companies us KS to avoid having to worry about PR and production forecasts. The campaign rolls the two together. After the campaign is business as usual, though.

Alex

Arcane
Though unfortunately many people just look at the rules and give up before even trying.

gee I wonder why

You act like it couldn't be worse:

I don't know if anyone's still playing the original version, but a new version for Savage Worlds was on Kickstarter recently. It made about 5500% of its goal.

L'ennui

Magister
I was going to suggest either GURPS or Fate, but you added that you'd prefer a system with a lot of prewritten adventures so I'd have to say Savage Worlds might be just right for you. It has many interesting setting/campaign books filled with plots, hooks and adventures that you can jump straight into. It also supports quite a variety of genres if you want to try something other than fantasy.

Also, let me try to save you some time and kwa bucks: some of the systems suggested here are barely coherent clusterfucks of awesome ideas implemented in the dumbest, least intuitive ways possible. Buy any game produced by Palladium at your own risk! Same goes for Shadowrun (though maybe 5e is better?). Fantasy Flight Games products are not as bad, but also incredibly bloated and inelegant.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Care to elaborate? What exactly is bad about them? Are you referring to all Palladium books?

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Insect

Arcane
Care to elaborate? What exactly is bad about them? Are you referribg to all Palladium books?
At least in Shadowrun, the book could use a good editor. With the huge amount of rules there are they aren't really that easy to find in the book.

v1rus

Arcane
Now, slightly hijacking the thread, but just slightly. I'm also planning on switching from DnD to something else, me and my group (not gaming group, friend group) gave DnD a couple of tries, didn't work out that well, mostly cause of my obsession of including every god damn splatbook at the start. Which of these games would be most noob friendly, both in terms of rules (DnD level of rules is just fine) and DM requirements? I've checked out a bit of Vampires V20 (i do have some knowledge of the game tho, since, you know, Bloodlines) and while it looks awesome, the god damn book has 500+ pages. I've no problem reading through all of that, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna make anyone else read it.

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
Now, slightly hijacking the thread, but just slightly. I'm also planning on switching from DnD to something else, me and my group (not gaming group, friend group) gave DnD a couple of tries, didn't work out that well, mostly cause of my obsession of including every god damn splatbook at the start. Which of these games would be most noob friendly, but in terms of rules (DnD level of rules is just fine) and DM requirements? I've checked out a bit of Vampires V20 (i do have some knowledge of the game tho, since, you know, Bloodlines) and while it looks awesome, the god damn book has 500+ pages. I've no problem reading through all of that, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna make anyone else read it.

what the fuck

okay

fuck

okay

fuck

What the hell is wrong with you

Do not include every splatbook until you master the core and know your group likes it

if you want to try easier shit, try some rules-lite games first

try Dungeon World, or Numenera, or Fate Core. Ask your players what they want.

Splatbooks are not about giving you a huge ocean to drown in, they're about you going "man i want to try some new races/abilities/classes"

Well ya, that's what broke the game for me. I played DnD based video games my whole life, read bunch of books, so when the moment to try the real thing finally came, i went all in. And fucked up. I learned my lesson then, that's why I'm taking a fresh start. Rules don't necessarily have to be lite, as long as my players dont have to read 500 manuals that is. I, as the DM, don't mind doing that tho.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

pxyYs_medium_image.jpe

v1rus

Arcane
Oh, forgot to mention, my players (or rather, the only player who nitpicks, the rest will try anything really) are interested in Shadowrun. How would that work out? Also, which edition?

Space Insect

Arcane
Oh, forgot to mention, my players (or rather, the only player who nitpicks, the rest will try anything really) are interested in Shadowrun. How would that work out? Also, which edition?
If D&D was too much for them to read, do not try Shadowrun. It is extremely rules heavy and the book isn't very organized.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
If D&D was too much for them to read, do not try Shadowrun. It is extremely rules heavy and the book isn't very organized.
In coming months they want to release a rules light version called Shadowrun Anarchy. I wonder how that will play out.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seriously, creating a character in SRUN was more complicated than doing my taxes. The basic principles are easy, but it is a very fiddly, detailed system.

v1rus, if you like the idea of D&D but need a less complicated system, check out one of the old school D&D knockoffs, like Swords&Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord or even Dungeon Crawl Classics. Most of them are free, and all of them are much more simple than contemporary D&D (DCC is a bit more complex, but still below 3.x or 5e).

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Now, slightly hijacking the thread, but just slightly. I'm also planning on switching from DnD to something else, me and my group (not gaming group, friend group) gave DnD a couple of tries, didn't work out that well, mostly cause of my obsession of including every god damn splatbook at the start. Which of these games would be most noob friendly, both in terms of rules (DnD level of rules is just fine) and DM requirements? I've checked out a bit of Vampires V20 (i do have some knowledge of the game tho, since, you know, Bloodlines) and while it looks awesome, the god damn book has 500+ pages. I've no problem reading through all of that, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna make anyone else read it.
Give D&D 5E a try. There are essentially no splatbooks yet, so there's no temptation to use any either. :)

Alchemist

Arcane
v1rus, if you like the idea of D&D but need a less complicated system, check out one of the old school D&D knockoffs, like Swords&Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord or even Dungeon Crawl Classics. Most of them are free, and all of them are much more simple than contemporary D&D (DCC is a bit more complex, but still below 3.x or 5e).
Well said - I was going to post a similar suggestion. Also OSRIC is an option for the slightly more crunchy / rules-medium of AD&D 1st Edition, all in one book. No splatbooks needed.

And here's the obligatory link to all the D&D clones ever made, if you run out of variants to try.

v1rus

Arcane
Ty all for the comments :)

DnD clones, got it. For the first session, i think will try out "Fiasco" - it's a thin book, and the game lasts no more than three hours. How hard can it be?

Any of you guys tried it out?

Neanderthal

Arcane
One I tried for a quick, simple gaming sesh back in 80's were Dragon Warriors, pretty good rpg system published in a series o paperback books about size o one o them fighting fantasy novels. Heard it had been republished a fair bit back, or you could probably pick it up on ebay or Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom