Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Nexus The Jupiter Incident sequel might be happening (again)

Sinatar

Arbiter
Oh baby yes.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/165117/nordic-games-acquires-nexus

Nordic PR said:
“We think that Nexus was one of those heavily overlooked, hidden gems in the niche of Space-RTS.”, comments Reinhard Pollice, Business & Product Development Director at Nordic Games. “We hope to start working on a sequel in the near future.”

Firstly, if you don't know what Nexus is, it's an absolutely fantastic Starship Battle sim/fleet combat game that came out back in 2005.

Steam
GOG

So the sequel has had a rocky as hell history. Back in 2006 they pitched a sequel to the publishers and had a really impressive tech demo to show off. But because the games industry sucks, nobody picked it up and they went out of business.

21480623785_d3e632f7bb_o.gif

Many of the team stayed together and formed a new studio that worked mainly on mobile and social apps. In 2012 they decided to hop on the hot kickstarter bandwagon and launched a Kickstarter for Nexus 2, that again because this industry sucks, didn't get funded.

But it might finally be happening! Yay!

Like a lot of space game kickstarters these things get worked on in sparetime.
I wonder what the engine is like now and what it can do. It would be awesome if we got some kind of dynamic campaign.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I didn't knew this game, but it seems nice. Do you suggest the original one ?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Nexus is good for what it is. Would recommend to people itching for space strategy

nexus is good.
and the multiplayer was even better. it's a real shame it didn't get the recognition it deserved.

Inquisition

Educated
Fuck yes, please! Nexus was such a great game at the time. Still is, tbh, there has been nothing like it since.

Nexus had some p. awesome visuals and mechanics, but being on the rails from start to finish really limited what it could've been. If Nexus 2 will have at least some measure of freedom or even an open world with decent content to explore and swappable and freely upgradable ships and a wider variety of side/mission types and... :bounce:

the story was on rails? oh my, such a terrible sin! how could it?
what about how you face the missions? was that it on rails too? fuck no.
my favourite mission is the one where a ship which launches huge missiles needs to be chased. how do you tackle the problem? tank with the big ships alternating them in front of the formation? sacrifice a corvette or two? take lots of point defense with the risk of not having enough firepower to fight the ship itself? take huge long range weapons which would not hit the missiles at all but otherwise they could keep the ships in the back safe? slow down to have more time to intercept the missiles but with the possibility of the target running away?
the best of this all is that compromises had to be made, and sometimes sacrifices too.

alright, the stealth missions sucked. nobody's perfect.

DraQ

Arcane
Nexus is great, with three caveats:

• All the aliens you interact with during the campaign are awful and derpy as fuck
  • Campaign is awfully balanced to the point of being physically uncompleteable on higher difficulties
  • Some interface elements are... unobvious, for example you may finish the camapign without learning how to move to arbitrary points in space.
Also, what I would love the most would be Nexus' prequel:
Sol system only, the tech as in early Nexus missions, :yeah: .

ArchAngel

Arcane
I didn't like the original. Each mission was setup to do in specific way and you had not chance otherwise. So you had to start each mission, see what is the enemy composition and then load the game and bring a counter fleet into that missions.

Compared to Homeworld, Nexus was crap.

Perkel

Arcane
that fucking idiot. Instead of trying again with kickstarter this time prepared he sold license.

Kickstarter got halfway funded even with terrible kickstarter pitch and almost 0 updates. If that dude would redo kickstarter and prepare this time he would get funded no time.

ArchAngel

Arcane
i never did that. finished the game nonetheless. git gud u_u
Maybe you just got lucky with ship compositions for missions. I didn't and went to google about the missions and found most missions are superhard unless you do special compositions for them. Since I hate that kind of gameplay I quit the game instead.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Also, what I would love the most would be Nexus' prequel:
Sol system only, the tech as in early Nexus missions.

That would be awesome. I liked the early sol only missions the best myself as well.

GreyViper

Prophet
Well there is a reason why 1st try failed. They should have redone first Imperium Galactica for modern times and used money from that to boost their Nexus 2 development.

:Flash:

Arcane
I dont remember the original Nexus. The name just doesnt ring a bell.

Is it really any good?
It was originally supposed to be Imperium Galactica III, perhaps that does ring a bell?
There was some kerfuffle about the rights (and they weren't the original devs of IGI & II, either), and then it was released as Nexus - The Jupiter Incident.
The devs of the original Imperium Galactica games continued with the Haegemonia series, and I guess the rights to Imperium Galactica are still in legal limbo.

Edit: semi-ninja'd

Maybe you just got lucky with ship compositions for missions. I didn't and went to google about the missions and found most missions are superhard unless you do special compositions for them. Since I hate that kind of gameplay I quit the game instead.
nope, i'm a larper through and through and i equipped my ships in meaningful ways, didn't minmax or any shit like that. the truly hard missions were the aforementioned chase and the last, other than that only a challenging game of starships with the most hugerest explosions ever concieved.

Raapys

Arcane
The missile explosions were p.awesome at the time. Graphics in general were great. Still would be, if not for the low resolution LOD textures on the asteroids.

ArchAngel

Arcane
nope, i'm a larper through and through and i equipped my ships in meaningful ways, didn't minmax or any shit like that. the truly hard missions were the aforementioned chase and the last, other than that only a challenging game of starships with the most hugerest explosions ever concieved.
I think you all are just big graphics and effects fags. That was the only good side of this game.

mindreader

Novice
I really wanted to like this game, but it didn't give you much info in game with which to base your decisions on. I remember in an early mission I downgraded to a gun that looks worse and it ended up doing much more damage and making the mission easy. Another thing I noticed was that if the AI happened to decide to focus fire one of your ships, due to the low amount of ships, I would lose a mission, but if the AI happened to decide to spread its fire on several I would easily win, and it's decision seemed to be completely out of my control.

I left it installed over the years in case I go back to it, because I want to.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
IG2 was awesome. (And EotFS was awesome as well, when moded to increase tech costs.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom