Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nicolas Eymerich: The Plague

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
http://www.eymerich.it/

Seems this is coming out soon. Any local Italian has more info? The premise looks interesting and I like that the characters will speak latin(yes, the game will have subtitles!), quite the clever way to avoid shitty voice localization in english! Graphics seem a bit dated but I don't mind. Specially being that it seems this game has been in development for over 6 years.

Seems this is based on novels written by an italian communist... very curious about why an Italian lefty would choose one of the most brutal inquisitors of the middle-ages as the hero in a series of horror novels.

Ringhausen

Augur
Graphics remind me of Thief 3. Latin seems nice but there have been other recent games with clever premises (Mata Hari?) that didn't turn out well.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
It is the first adventure game from this studio. Could be good... could be great actually, the premise sounds very interesting but I don't know the source material and apparently the local italian Kz3r0 doesn't either. Only thing I ever heard about this Evangelisti dude is from the time Cesare Battisti was seeking asylum in Brazil and he was one of the "italian celebrities" defending the guy(implying that he is probably of marxist extraction).

One thing I didn't understand from the website is if this is episodic or not. They say that this is "the first volume in a saga"(implying that they plan sequels) and then say that the game is divided in 4 acts.

NICOLAS EYMERICH THE INQUISITOR(1320-1399) is the lead character in ten books by Valerio Evangelisti published in Italy (by Mondadori) and around the world.

NICOLAS EYMERICH: INQUISITOR is the first volume in the saga of Interactive Novels about the Inquisitor, and is divided into four acts:

Act I: the INQUISITOR – Eymerich is called back to Carcassone by the head of the Inquisition, a problem has arisen. But not everything is said. Demons, heretics and the Plague contaminate the place he is sent to.

Act II: the VILLAGE – Obscure tales are unveiled in the plague-ridden village. And the night is filled by the inhuman cries of the demon, who beside him gives birth to creatures beyond all horror.

Act III: the DEMON – In a now-dead wood, in the heart of the mountain burning with infernal flames, Eymerich and his brother finally face the Demon.

Act IV: the ABBEY – But the awful truth is beyond the insurmountable walls of the Abbey, where pyres of bodies are burning, their smoke darkening the sky. Something very, very ancient has taken the form of Satan.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
I talked to an Argentine friend who read some of the the novels years ago. According to him most of the stories feature sci-fi themes and have a parallel narrative going in the present or even in the future, with Eymerich's actions and their outcomes linking both by the end.

At least in what he read of it, there is very little actual occult supernatural stuff. The demons, monsters and etc nearly always turn out to be aliens, paranormal events, or insanity framed in medieval era views. Think of it as "X-Files meets the medieval inquisition".

He thought it was good enough and that is why he bothered to read more than one book. Some problems for him were overt "edgy" themes and some political views of the author(who is somewhat of an ex-marxist but still very left leaning) shoved in. If done right I think this game can be good. The premise is interesting enough, specially compared with the dry spell of games with an actual interesting story. And they will obviously tone down some of the violence and edgyness in order to make this marketable.

Luca Papale

Novice
Hi guys!

I'm Luca Papale, press agent for Nicolas Eymerich, Inquisitor: The Plague. I stumbled upon your forum and I tought I might answer some of your questions and comment your thoughts about the game.

Let's start! First of all, here's the press release containing some essential infos about the game:

Nicolas Eymerich, Inquisitor: The Plague, scheduled for release on November 2012, is made up of four video games inspired by the historical figure and the protagonist as well of the famous series of novels written by Valerio Evangelisti, which have been published in all Europe. Playing as the merciless inquisitor, we will be called to investigate on a missing fellow brother in a remote hamlet, filled with dark, disturbing misteries and a deadly plague.

Set up in the southern France of the XIV century, this graphic adventure will lead us among heretics and human derelicts, riddles and schemes, demons and dangers of all sorts to which we will be able to survive only thanks to our wits and Eymerich’s soul of steel.

Diamond point of the Italian indie gaming, Nicolas Eymerich, Inquisitor: The Plague is a high-flyng project that took three years of work of a team made up by Italian veteran developers. As any self-respecting graphic adventure, this game will have a strong narration, well-portrayed, multifaceted characters, around four hours of longevity per episode, particular mixed 2D-3D graphics, state-of-the-art 3D music and sounds, and mind-blowing puzzles. And whoever would like to enjoy the story without the obstacle of the puzzles, will be able to simply choose the Interactive Novel mode, in which they will be automatically solved, to meet the needs of those who have a preference for a less demanding play experience.

The game will be dubbed in Italian, English and… Latin! That’s right: Nicolas Eymerich, Inquisitor: The Plague is the first video game in history fully dubbed in Latin – an experiment in a class by itself, that required an exhaustive philological research. Other than the already mentioned languages, the game will also have German and Frenchs subs. There will be an “audio game” mode for the blind too, that will literally allow to play with eyes shut.

Nicolas Eymerich, Inquisitor: The Plague will be available for PC, Mac and iOS, and later for Android. The iPad3 version will be HD and will have specifically made extra polished graphics.

The first season will be made up of four episodes: The Inquisitor; The Village; The Demon; The Abbey. A deluxe edition, containing them all, is scheduled for 2013.

And now, I will answer to some of your posts.

The premise looks interesting and I like that the characters will speak latin(yes, the game will have subtitles!), quite the clever way to avoid shitty voice localization in english

Rest assured: the english localization was made by Disc2Disc with great cure and attention in details. Here you can listen some english dialogues. They seem pretty good to me, and I personally prefer the english dubbing over the italian one. Please give us feedback, it's appreciated - even criticism!

Specially being that it seems this game has been in development for over 6 years

As stated in the press release, the development actually took 3 years. Why so long? Well, if you guys are interested in some backstage about the developing of the game, please read this blog entry and this one too. They also explain why we chose this kind of graphics.

One thing I didn't understand from the website is if this is episodic or not. They say that this is "the first volume in a saga"(implying that they plan sequels) and then say that the game is divided in 4 acts.

Let's put it this way.

"Nicolas Eymerich, Inquisitor" is the name of what we hope it will become a series of games, a franchise. "The Plague" it's the subtitle (just like, for example "Silent Hill: Downpour" or "Fallout: New Vegas").

"The Plague" is, in turn, divided into 4 acts. They will be released separately, and then all togheter in a deluxe edition, but they are all part of the same game.

So, "The Plague" is the first title of a series; "The Inquisitor", "The Village", "The Demon" and "The Abbey" are its chapters. I hope this clarifies the matter!

And they will obviously tone down some of the violence and edgyness in order to make this marketable.

Well, it won't be violent like a Mortal Kombat or a Manhunt. It's not an action game, it's a grapich adventure. BUT I can tell you that some parts of the game will be border on splatter.

I can't tell you any details about the plot for now, except that it will be cool. We aim to satisfy Evangelisti's fans, recreating the atmospheres of his books, but also to reach a wider audience.

If you have any other question, please feel free to send an email to info@eymerich.it. I cannot guarantee my presence here on the forum, but I will try and partecipate to the discussion.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Thanks for swinging by and giving us some information! So it will be an episodic game, eh?

And whoever would like to enjoy the story without the obstacle of the puzzles, will be able to simply choose the Interactive Novel mode, in which they will be automatically solved, to meet the needs of those who have a preference for a less demanding play experience.

Heh, gameplay skip button.

Looking forward to the game. Been awhile since a good adventure game came out.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to it.

Some questions:

1) what does it mean that iPad3 version will have updated graphic? I mean, compared to what? I hope not to the PC. I expect PC graphic to be the best or at least on par with iPad, but certainly not worse.

2) So, you said it will be English dubbed. How about the Latin that was mentioned before? Can you choose one over another?

3) When are you planning to release further chapters of "The Plague"? Every few months? Every year?

4) Somewhat unrelated to game itself: Do you have any idea if there are plans to release books of Evangelisti in English (as far as I checked they were never translated/published in English)?

Luca Papale

Novice
Whisky: smartphone and tablets extended the video game agency over many groups of audience that were never interested in gaming. 5 years ago you didn't see many girl gamers or elderly people willing to play. Then came Angry Birds and the Wii and the casual games which caused a revolution. But there is still a divide between a hardcore gamer and someone who started to play video games only thanks to his iPhone. So we need to diversify the game modes. Think of it as an easy mode for people who don't know what is like to play Maniac Mansion and sure as hell DO NOT want to know how frustrating can be to pass through a locked door in a graphic adventure :D

mikaelis:

1) Compared to iPad 1 and 2, iPhones and smartphones. PC and Mac versions of the game will have graphics related to the machine used. An i7 PC with 10 Giga of Ram and the newest video card will perform better than an older PC, of course. Sorry if I cannot give you further infos, but we actually don't know the minimum system requirements.

2) As the press release stated, the game will be dubbed in Latin, English and Italian, and will have Latin, English, Italian, French and German subtitles (maybe we will add other languages in the near future). You can use different combos: Latin dubs with Italian subs, English dubs and subs, Italian dubs and German subs, etc. This way you can play while training your foreign language skills, that is something I really like to do ;)

3) Every few months or even less, if all goes as planned. We do not want to wait too long between a chapter and another, the hype would lower and people could lose interest.

4) I'm sorry but I don't know. But probably, if the game sells well, the series of books will live a new wave of success. We are planning to sell the game in UK and USA too. So who knows...

Dayyālu

Arcane
.... So, I've read some books.Mind is a bit fuzzy but...
The theme is a quite original blending of historical-fantasy-gothic novel with science fiction themes: usually the two barely touch each other, with different characters acting in different ages influencing each other. The 'historical-fantasy' is quite well done and researched on the 'history' part and quite grim on the 'dark fantasy' side.
The science fiction is weird. And brutal.
As an example,in 'Picatrix' a bunch of characters act in a war-torn africa were a huge revolt of child soldiers is brutally slaughtered by the troops of a pair of fictional European and American dictatorships,employing as shock troops reanimated corpses and genetically modified soldiers.
Eymerich is quite a fascinating character: not the classical protagonist-monk-humanist view like William of Baskerville in the Name of the Rose(nothing against Eco, but I've read too many copies of his characters), but a brutal, efficient and cultured Dominican bent on destroying whatever opposes him.
Never got too many 'leftist' impressions of the books. It's not a political work even if he IS quite a leftist, if not a marxist.But I've never read any of his political works.
Probably one of the most original works of science fiction-fantasy Italy has produced in recent times: In My Humble Opinion, it is far better than most Anglo-Saxon fantasy crap.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Thanks a lot for the info Luca. I'm looking forward to this game, I said it before and I will say it again: The premise alone picked my interest.

I think any question I would have is answered already, except for this: Is this a direct adaptation of the books or a new original story with the characters and setting? Did the author participate in the development of the ganme?

Thanks for swinging by and giving us some information! So it will be an episodic game, eh?

And whoever would like to enjoy the story without the obstacle of the puzzles, will be able to simply choose the Interactive Novel mode, in which they will be automatically solved, to meet the needs of those who have a preference for a less demanding play experience.

Heh, gameplay skip button.

The Black Mirror series had this as well. It offends the adventure puritan in me, but it isn't really that bad. If you spend too long trying to solve a puzzle and don't want to have to pause and go for a walkthrough, you just click the tiny button in the corner and skip the trouble. Convenient and all.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Oh, I don't really hate the inclusion of it, I was just joking around. In fact, if there was one genre that could do that and get away with it, it would be adventure games. I've certainly played Interactive Fiction games with less gameplay than casual modes like that. I simply won't select it.

Is there are more specific release date announced yet?

Luca Papale

Novice
FretRider: it's a new original story, but that keeps characters, themes and atmopsheres of the novels. Evangelisti was not involved in the the developing process, but did read the script (written by Ivan Venturi) and liked it, so we are positive that the fans will be pleased.

Whisky: sorry, not yet. We will spread another press release when further details like the release date, system requirements and other stuff will be set.

@villain: fear not. I know as a gamer that many video games today are leaning towards a broader audiece by sacrificing their nature. So Resident Evil, former survival horror, becomes an action game; overall difficulty is reduced to make the players feel more confident and skilled; Silent Hill becomes a multiplayer shooter (see Book of Memories); Metal Gear Solid switches from stealth to ultra gory slasher style of Rising. All in the name of money.

But we are not like that, we are not simply choosing the easy path. We just want to give the players the best experience, and let's face that: almost everyone in his life has, at least once, resorted to walkthroughs for advancing in an adventure game. I just sit there and want to see what's next and I'm stuck because I can't go through a locked door. It's plain frustration. So I check a walkthrough, interrupting the game, breaking the tension, spoling the fun. On the contrary, now I can simply skip the puzzle. Basically it's the same thing! And as FretRider said, it has become a custom in point & click games. Just think of Darkness Within or the amazing Machinarium, that basically has an embedded walkthrough.

Luca Papale

Novice
Sorry Fret, at which part of my post are you addressing to? I don't understand what are you talking about...

Luca Papale

Novice
Ok guys, sorry for the double posting, but I can't find the Edit button...

I just realized that villain was not talking about the "interactive novel" mode but about the plot - I apparently mixed his post with Whisky's one, when he is talking about the gameplay skip button :roll: This summer heat is making my mind a little fuzzy...

Anyway, when I said that the plot is aimed to satisfy both the fans and the generic audience, I meant that players don't need to have read the books to properly enjoy the game and its story. Eymerich's fans will note easter eggs and references to the Magister's previous adventures, but you don't actually have to be an Evangelisti's acolyte to play The Plague :D Just like you don't need to have read all of Tolkien's work to play some of the Lord of Rings video games, or you don't need to have studied the Dungeons & Dragons handbooks to play Baldur's Gate.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Yeah, I was refering to Villain's post. Your first five posts on this forum are moderated and need approval, that is why your post before was not visible to me.

Anyway, thanks for the great answers, looking forward to the game more than before now :salute:

kaizoku

Arcane
Well, if you have other questions please feel free to ask, I will answer if I can ;)
I like the way where this is going... but I have some questions:

- will there be a demo?
- have you guys established a price for each of the 4h episodes? And will the deluxe contain anything extra? (if so, it wouldn't be very fair for the early supporters)
- will it be available on GOG?
- in terms of rating, will be game be targeting Teen or Mature?
- the church and the inquisition are well known for pervertedness. Will there be such a thing in this game?
- I've seen in this video that the game includes a text parser. Care to tell us more? Is it exactly the same thing as playing with the mouse, or will the use of the text parser allow the player to do something more? (eg: get a cynic/funny comment; a different way to solve a puzzle; something extra to explore)
- BTW, how about uploading to youtube one or two music tracks?

Grazie

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom