Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nicolas Eymerich: The Plague

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
- the church and the inquisition are well known for pervertedness. Will there be such a thing in this game?

Itt, hateful libruls and their pseudo-history.

I suppose me and some other locals would have an interest in knowing if the game is anti-Catholic though. Specially being that I don't know the source material. I know the real Eymerich was a ruthless son of a bitch just like Torquemada, but I cringe at any excessive edgyiness and false depiction of what the inquisition did and did not.

kaizoku

Arcane
- the church and the inquisition are well known for pervertedness. Will there be such a thing in this game?

I suppose me and some other locals would have an interest in knowing if the game is anti-Catholic though. Specially being that I don't know the source material. I know the real Eymerich was a ruthless son of a bitch just like Torquemada, but I cringe at any excessive edgyiness and false depiction of what the inquisition did and did not.
wow... you get butthurt pretty fast

Likewise, I also just wish for a faithful depiction of the times.
But it seems we have different ideas of what happened during those times.

Tell me, what is this "excessive edgyiness and false depiction of what the inquisition did and did not" ?
Did they not torture? http://www.medievality.com/torture.html
Did they not abuse tortured women? http://suite101.com/article/malleus-maleficarum-how-to-torture-a-witch-a230757

But feel free to correct me while backing your claims (I know my sources aren't really reliable, but please provide better ones if you have them)

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
I'm not butthurt at all. The inquisition was not nearly as monstrous as it is depicted in certain media. Torture was commonplace in all justice systems of that period and if anything, the inquisition was more humane than everything else going on back then because it put severe limitations on that and had specific and solid rules.

Did you know that inquisitors were only allowed to use torture once in every accused, only as a last resort, and then only in a manner not to cause permanent injury or disfigurement? That if the accused resisted such torture he would be declared innocent? That the inquisitorial tribunal was the only one at that time where the accused could mount a defense and call up witnesses? That the inquisition merely judged the accused guilty or innocent, and that the estipulation and execution of the sentence was due to the secular power?

Not to mention the inquisition was actually quite merciful. Usually declaring guilt and being repentant would free the accused from any judgement.

Sure, there were many abuses. Eymerich was actually one of the most infamous inquisitors for coming up with his own select interpretations of the rules and being a brutal bastard. That will be in the game and I have no problem with it. The problem is with the "lol, Catholics are evil!" or "lol, the inquisition killed babies!", and you seem to imply that. The entire notion that the inquisition was dedicated to getting harmless innocents is the biggest bullshit of them all. It actually went after monsters like this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_de_rais

Your ignorance is proven by the fact that most methods in the links you posted(the most brutal, actually), had absolutely nothing to do with the inquisition. They were used by the secular power of the kingdom on common criminals. The inquisition only judged accusations of heresy.

I think the entire premise of the game and books is that Eymerich is a monster fighting monsters. The author is a scholar of history that seems to gracefully not burn his political views in his work. I'm fine with that.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Please don't turn this cool thread into a PGWN thread, guys...

Too late. One of the edgy kids had to voice his ignorant opinions and be educated by me.

And just to clarify, I'm not really a fan of the inquisition, I just dislike unhistorical and retroactive judgements of it, specially the ones related to ignorant anti-Catholicism.

I'm sorry the thread was derailed Luca, please feel free to ignore that particular question and my particular comments if you feel like it is convenient.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Keeps this shit in GD K?

Luca Papale

Novice
will there be a demo?

Not sure about that. But if you are eager to try the game, you could apply as beta tester by sending an e-mail to info@eymerich.it.

have you guys established a price for each of the 4h episodes?

The prices are still being evaluated. But they should be:
Retail PC/Mac: 19,90 (for the Italian market. We still haven't come to an agreement with the various publishers for the other countries)
Digital PC/Mac: 14,90 (princing for iOs and Android is still undefined)
Preorder: 9,90 (available from september)

will the deluxe contain anything extra?

Again: not sure about that. Usually, deluxe versions of video games come with extra contents. Yes, one could say it isn't fair for the early supporters, but they, on the other hand, have the possibility to play the game on D1. Anyway, as I said, I have not been informed about any extra content.

will it be available on GOG?

We hope so. We will try and sell the game on every possibile digital store. Even on Steam if we can, but Steam it's The Big Kahuna of video game digital stores...

in terms of rating, will be game be targeting Teen or Mature?

PEGI is currently evaluating our game. I think we will submit it to ESBR, BBFC and USK too. We are aiming for a ESBR Teen rating or PEGI 12, but it is possibile that we will get a Mature / PEGI 16, given that the game contains some gory content and scary parts. It is also possible that the various chapters will get different ratings, given that they are technically different games.

the church and the inquisition are well known for pervertedness. Will there be such a thing in this game?

I see this topic is quite delicate. Let's put it in this way: Eymerich (the real one) wrote the Directorium Inquisitorum, right? We used that text to recreate his character and way of thinking/acting.
We also, of course, used Evangelisti's work to shape our character. Sure thing, his books have an historical setting, but they are also and above all fiction. But don't forget that Evangelisti is an historician before being a novelist. He know his subject matter.
Anyway, our game is about Eymerich. We are not judging catholics or the Church whatsoever (and remember: we are Italians, and Italy is basically a catholic country). Our game is not ideologic, our aim is not to criticize or condemn. Our aim is to entertain and provide the players a good story.
Yeah, many things about the Church and the Inquisition are depicted in an exaggerate and factious way by the media. But keep in mind that things like tortures, cruelties, dark schemes and so on are fun for the masses. People are often more interested in gaudy entertainment than in historical correctness. If I'm watching History Channel I'm interested in real facts; if I'm reading "The Da Vinci Code" I'm interested in interpretations.
And if I'm playing Eymerich, I'm expecting a good mix of historical facts and fiction. I'm expecting tortures and cruelties, but not generalizations and summary judgements. So FretRider's statement

I think the entire premise of the game and books is that Eymerich is a monster fighting monsters. The author is a scholar of history that seems to gracefully not burn his political views in his work.

sums it all up pretty well.

I've seen in this video that the game includes a text parser. Care to tell us more? Is it exactly the same thing as playing with the mouse, or will the use of the text parser allow the player to do something more? (eg: get a cynic/funny comment; a different way to solve a puzzle; something extra to explore)

The game will be totally playable with a mouse. But yes, using the parser will get the player to discover some funny extra content (I cannot tell more). And to have a verbal description of the surroundings you will have to use the parser (eg: "Observe the room", Look the corridor"). This is crucial in the audiogame mode for blind people.

BTW, how about uploading to youtube one or two music tracks?

I will ask the CEO!

kaizoku

Arcane
Thanks for the answers Luca.

One of the reasons I asked about rating is that sometimes game companies try to aim for a lower rating in order to reach a broader audience, but sometimes this also compromise their original vision for the game. And considering the nature of the story in this game, this may not give any advantage as I doubt many young players will find this setting appealing.
Anyway, what I want to say is: if you're thinking on removing content because of the rating, please don't.

Sorry about my choice of words regarding that delicate subject. And thanks for clarifying it.

Thumbs up for the text parser! I really enjoy when I'm able to discover something extra or get a laugh out of a not-so obvious interaction.

Luca Papale

Novice
One of the advantage of being indie is that you don't have to sacrifice your vision in order to please a publisher or to meet the needings of the audience. So don't worry about that: we are not making any changes only to get a lower PEGI/ESBR rating. We prefer to offer a scary, mature story rather than a softened one that could grant us a Teen/12 rating. Of course, the lower the rating, the wider the audience, but we aim for quality rather than quantity.

Nope

Liturgist
It's out now at a few places for around $20. (around $10 more than it's worth imo)
A few mixed feelings on it. On one hand I like the Medieval setting with heresies and old gods taken very seriously and playing a guy who clearly enjoys being an asshole is pretty novel.
On the other hand as an adventure game it leaves something to be desired. It's kind of short and managed to make that very old mistake of only allowing you to do some things once you've progressed in another, almost completely unrelated, puzzle at least once.
It could turn out great if they keep with it but as of right now it felt like a slightly overpriced introduction to the character and story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom