Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN 2: mask of the betrayer is out now.

pug987

Scholar
There is a pure rogue NPC companion in MotB but he's optional and you can take him instead of the warrior companion at the start of act 2. You don't really need a rogue in Mask of the Betrayer though. There aren't that many traps and the highest lock DC you'll encounter is 45. If you put some points in open locks and you use Thief's Tools +10 and wear an item that gives +dexterity (I think you can find up to +8 dexterity) you can open it yourself whatever class you chose to play.

Starwars

Arcane
And also, all the companions in the expansion are optional (except for one at the very start, you can kick her out later though). That same companion has a familiar homonculus thing that can disable traps and open locks as well.

Andrej

Liturgist
The pure Rogue companion can supposedly level up in Warrior levels aswell, later on.

roshan

Arcane
Just got the game, the graphics are really fucked up.... Ive had this strange pixellation thing going on with the characters and placeables:

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3545 ... 231gq0.jpg

Not only that, I just got to the second area, and it seems that some graphics are missing, since I see bright red blocks instead of what should be bridges:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7226 ... 121rd9.jpg

Not only that, the game crashes at startup three out of four times, and occassionally, when I load the game, all I see is a black screen with some spell effects.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Kingston said:
Woah I'm actually having difficulty on one fight. That's kinda cool. Although its mostly due to the retardation of my npcs. Is Tony K ai mod out for MotB yet?
It wasn't on thursday. Might change soon.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
"Out"? It works just fine with MotB. You don't need to wait for a new version to come "out". Been using it happily since I got MotB; never even bothered firing up the EXP without the mod.

roshan

Arcane
Starwars said:
That's strange, in which order did you install everything (patches and expansion)?

This seems to be the official solution on how to get everything to work at the moment. http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... &forum=121

Could be that something went wrong in the patching or installation process for you.

That is the exact same order that I followed. Still, something could have gone wrong...

Shannow

Waster of Time
aweigh said:
"Out"? It works just fine with MotB. You don't need to wait for a new version to come "out". Been using it happily since I got MotB; never even bothered firing up the EXP without the mod.
To quote from the readme that came with the mod, that I downloaded on thursday:
Documentation for Companion and Monster AI Hak

V1.5, Sept 29, 2007

This version should be used with NWN2 1.10 or later. It does not work with the MotB
expansion pack at this time.

If it actually does work...all the better ;)
It is certainly more fun replaying NWN2 with the mod. (Although one of the official patches supposedly did something for A.I. so I cannot comment on improvements over the 1.10 version of the game.)

Oarfish

Prophet
I get crashes in the sunken city with the AI mod - going through the portal to the shadow realm on the beach will bomb out with the mod installed.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ok, I have to eat my words. Tony's A.I. does work with MotB... up til' you get Gann/face Okku's spirit army (i.e. pretty early into the game). After that point a lot of stuff starts breaking, including Gann, so I had to remove it. Hopefully Tony gets cracking on his mod because NWN2 is unplayable without it!

pug987

Scholar
Well, you could still turn off the AI and play all companion manually. Having the buttons "Follow me" and "Hold" on your quickbar also helps.

Catalina

Scholar
I've been trying to get the OC to work for two months now, as something in the patch process screws up the animations in the cutscenes. :roll: I'm hoping that having a complete patch on the CD of MotB will work, but I'm not holding my breath.

A shame, I really wanted to play MoTB.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
pug987 said:
Well, you could still turn off the AI and play all companion manually. Having the buttons "Follow me" and "Hold" on your quickbar also helps.

The nature of the game's real-time system makes the fights too fast/chaotic for me to be able to control manually each NPC.

Catalina said:
I've been trying to get the OC to work for two months now, as something in the patch process screws up the animations in the cutscenes. :roll: I'm hoping that having a complete patch on the CD of MotB will work, but I'm not holding my breath.

A shame, I really wanted to play MoTB.
You don't even need to patch it, as far as I know. I just did a fresh NWN2 install, then installed MotB, and it worked fine. Also, you don't really need to finish the NWN2 OC to enjoy MotB, I think.

Crichton

Prophet
The nature of the game's real-time system makes the fights too fast/chaotic for me to be able to control manually each NPC.

I thought you felt you needed the mod to improve the enemy AI. If you're putting your own units under AI control, you aren't really playing the game at all.

I've personally have had no trouble just pausing the game every six seconds, autopause would be more convenient, but life goes on.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I also use it to spice up the enemy A.I. The whole "not really playing the game" thing is laffo.

Crichton

Prophet
So didn't I, nor any codexer, ever play Fallout 1 or 2 then? Then we are all a bunch of hypocrites when we blame Emil and Beth's staff for never play those games too. And any mod that makes combat be more than just "know the best buffs for the situation and cast them before battle" is welcome.

PS: Units? If you want to focus on controlling units in tactical squad level combat you should look for a strategy game then like X-COM or even the newer Ground Control.

If you're mocking the beth fellows for not appreciating the differing quest options, dialog or support for different character types of FO1+2, that's perfectly reasonable. If, on the other hand, you're complaining that adding direct control of the vault dweller (i.e. twitch gameplay) would ruin the "gameplay" of Fallout, then yes, you are a hypocrite because Fallout 1, Fallout 2 (and for that matter Arcanum) have no gameplay.

Indirect control over one unit =/= Gameplay

Else I'd have to include Diablo and it's ilk, MMOs and NWN as having gameplay. I have no problem with a game not having gameplay if it has other things to compensate, storytelling, choices and consequences, multiple character types et al. (Arcanum beats out all other RPGs on my list despite having no gameplay) But all of those things are content not gameplay.

Content can ask questions, but there are no wrong answers (or shouldn't be, if the player is allowed to choose between playing a wizard and playing a fighter each should have it's points, neither should be 'wrong' the way choosing any weapon but a longsword is 'wrong' in most RPGs).

The sort of questions gameplay asks can (and should) have multiple answers but these right answers have to be difficult to decide on or implement or those questions have no teeth.

In an action game, it's easy to decide what to do but difficult to implement the decision in time, in any other game, the gameplay has to come from it being difficult to decide on actions because implementing them is trivial. It never has been and never will be difficult to decide what action to take with a single unit in isolation which is why you can't ever have real gameplay with a single maneuvre unit.

This doesn't mean that having multiple independent units will always lead to gameplay (see dungeon siege), but it's a requirement, without it there's nothing. Which is why I keep telling you to add multiple units to AoD, even if they have no content (i.e. they're nameless, faceless hired help), having six units to command will provide some gameplay to go with all that content you've worked so hard on.

Playing a single character (having direct control of it) can make for a fine action game, but commanding one unit is no game at all no matter how you slice it up.

pug987

Scholar
Well, MotB doesn't have that many trivial battles like NWN2 and more or less all it's battle fall into two major categories.
1. They are so easy that just attacking with all your party members is enough to get them over with (or cast one or two spells at most)
2. They are somewhat difficult and you'll probably need to take controll of at least the spellcasters and pause often

Most of them are of the first kind and you don't need the companions to do much to win. There are hardly as many as a dozen battles that fall into the second category so it won't bother you much during the game.

As for fallout, the companions were more of a bother than a help most of the time. I had to reload countless times just cause they acted so stupidly and got themselves killed or because my char killed them accidentaly due to low weapon skill. I wish I could controll them to at least keep them out of harms way. It's been several years since I've played the fallout games but if I remember correctly the AI was a bit better at the second game or at least the companions more durable.

Slylandro

Scholar
Crichton said:
If you're mocking the beth fellows for not appreciating the differing quest options, dialog or support for different character types of FO1+2, that's perfectly reasonable. If, on the other hand, you're complaining that adding direct control of the vault dweller (i.e. twitch gameplay) would ruin the "gameplay" of Fallout, then yes, you are a hypocrite because Fallout 1, Fallout 2 (and for that matter Arcanum) have no gameplay.

Else I'd have to include Diablo and it's ilk, MMOs and NWN as having gameplay.

I might be missing something, but I see nothing wrong with this alternative. You might not be a fan of those games (neither am I) but saying they don't have gameplay is a pretty silly exaggeration. It seems kind of pretentious to define gameplay as anything other than interaction with the gameworld and its inhabitants since that's the only thing that clearly distinguishes playing a game ('gameplay') from watching a movie or reading a book. Control over a character in gameworld is necessarily indirect, it really just depends on how indirect it is. I wouldn't say that the level of indirectness in Fallout is enough to say that there's no "gameplay" in it.

MasPingon

Arcane
Crichton said:
Else I'd have to include Diablo and it's ilk, MMOs and NWN as having gameplay. I have no problem with a game not having gameplay if it has other things to compensate, storytelling, choices and consequences, multiple character types et al. (Arcanum beats out all other RPGs on my list despite having no gameplay) But all of those things are content not gameplay.

This is most retarded thing I have ever seen on this boards, really

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Crichton said:
Which is bizarre 'cause I'm pretty sure I had total direct control over the guy in Fallout and Arcanum. I told them where to walk and they walked there. I told them what weapon to use and they used it. I told them who to shoot at and they shot at those people. I even told them what part of the body to shoot at and they'd aim at those parts. Whether they hit or miss is handled by the game itself, like in any other game (ones with multiple units even). I decided what they should say, I decided what they should wear. That sounds like direct, almost complete and total control to me.

Crichton said:
Oh good. Fallout has direct control over one unit so it seems to fall out of scope of your asinine equation.

Crichton said:
Else I'd have to include Diablo and it's ilk, MMOs and NWN as having gameplay.
Which is hilarious because you've got direct control over those guys too. Last I checked the Diablo good guy didn't go running around killing things by himself. Though with that said, what about RTS games? I mean, if you think there's no direct control over the guy in Fallout then you can't really think there's direct control over the units in an RTS. I just tell them where to go (like Fallout) and they shoot of their own accord for the most part. They even choose their own targets! OMG, no gameplay!

Crichton said:
I have no problem with a game not having gameplay if it has other things to compensate, storytelling, choices and consequences, multiple character types et al. (Arcanum beats out all other RPGs on my list despite having no gameplay) But all of those things are content not gameplay.
You're right. Gameplay is how you interact with the content. And if there's content and a method that allows you to interact with that content, SHAZZAM! There's gameplay in them there games. I've got no idea what drug induced crusade you're on but your definition of "gameplay" doens't match anything anyone else in the world has ever used.

Crichton said:
Content can ask questions, but there are no wrong answers (or shouldn't be, if the player is allowed to choose between playing a wizard and playing a fighter each should have it's points, neither should be 'wrong' the way choosing any weapon but a longsword is 'wrong' in most RPGs).

The sort of questions gameplay asks can (and should) have multiple answers but these right answers have to be difficult to decide on or implement or those questions have no teeth.
What, you mean like a branching dialogue tree in Arcanum? Many of which have several different outcomes which can be difficult to choose from.

Crichton said:
In an action game, it's easy to decide what to do but difficult to implement the decision in time, in any other game, the gameplay has to come from it being difficult to decide on actions because implementing them is trivial. It never has been and never will be difficult to decide what action to take with a single unit in isolation which is why you can't ever have real gameplay with a single maneuvre unit.
So there's no gameplay in Doom then? I mean, a single unit in isolation, without any real decisions to make. You've said yourself that weapons are "content", not gameplay, therefore choosing them is trivial and has nothing to do with gameplay. Doom involves a single unit, not multiple, therefore under your daft definition, it fails to have any gameplay in that aspect either. And it's not really all that difficult to implement any decisions in time. You just pull the trigger and run around. No gameplay there, no sirree!

Crichton said:
This doesn't mean that having multiple independent units will always lead to gameplay (see dungeon siege), but it's a requirement, without it there's nothing. Which is why I keep telling you to add multiple units to AoD, even if they have no content (i.e. they're nameless, faceless hired help), having six units to command will provide some gameplay to go with all that content you've worked so hard on.
Given the basis of your argument, I think adding in extra units would be pandering to an audience of mentally deficient retards which isn't what VD is aiming at.

Crichton said:
Playing a single character (having direct control of it) can make for a fine action game, but commanding one unit is no game at all no matter how you slice it up.
Doom, Wolfenstein, Tetris, Chess, Freecell every other game known to man... Are you really saying there's no gameplay in any of them, simple because there's only one character (or in some instances, no character!)? And then what about real-world games? Football, Rugby, Soccer? Are they all "not games" simply because you are only controlling your own actions?

I really have no idea how you've cooked up this bizarre definition of gameplay you're using but the one closest to what everyone else uses is quite simple: Gameplay is what the player does. Irrespective of how many characters you're controlling or how you control them. Gameplay is quite simply the stuff you have to do to play the game (hence play + game = gameplay). Gameplay is making decisions based on the information you have and implementing those decisions to achieve your objective. Whether that be clicking and dragging a card card on-screen to another pile, changing weapons, or giving armies orders from an overall "war room" interface, it's all gameplay.

Here's an interesting quote from the wikipedia article on gameplay:
  • One criticism of the word gameplay is that it is a largely meaningless or empty term, superseded by other concepts established in the repertoire of perception, anthropology, and general diversified psychology.[original research?] The use of the term may be an indication that current game design theories remain primitive and underdeveloped noting that, for example, cinema does not require "movie-watch" nor novels "book-read" in order that these (non-interactive) media be described formally.
So saying a game doesn't have any (versus having bad) gameplay is like saying a movie is unwatchable or a book is unreadable (equivalent term for games being that the game is "unplayable"). Note that those terms are reserved for the very bad products that aren't worth the time and effort, not simply everything that fails to meet some bizarre criteria made up in your drug-hazed state.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom