Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN 2: mask of the betrayer is out now.

aboyd

Liturgist
aboyd said:
Admiral jimbob said:
What are the good modules out now, anyway?
I don't know anymore... I haven't played any in a while.
Found one:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Nw ... ail&id=171

Be sure to run it from the "New Campaign" button, not the "New Module" button. It'll die halfway if you try to run it as a module.

It's pretty good. Not the greatest. But using my old rating system, I'd give it an 8.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I just realized why I dislike the inluence systems in NWN2/MotB apart from attribute perks for having high influence or loosing influence for minor things after saving their butt lots of times.
Many influence changes happen quite arbitrarily. You have to guess what your companion would like to hear or to do. It is easy most of the time but doesn't feel very natural.
If you do something that your companion doesn't want you to do it'd be nice if they interceded before you do it and ask you to do it differently. Thus they'd be in your debt and you'd have more leverage when you want them to do something your way. One could even refer to times when you did(n't) do something their way to explain why they behave as they do now. I think that'd be a lot more believable and would improve "roleplaying".
That should be the genral basis of pc-npc interaction, imho.

EDIT: For example: You are considering killing a child which keeps a secret that you need to know. A priest suggested to kill the child. He would then raise its shade and force it to tell the truth. You lose influence with your "good" companion simply for considering the deed, but you could recover influence by apologysing and seeking another option. Influence lost and gained would depend choice of words and charisma. Your neutral companion would suggest seeking another option first. Maybe looking for something cheaper. You'd only lose influence with him if you don't give a good reason for not seeking another option and even then you wouldn't lose a lot of influence. Your evil character wouldn't care. Or if he is some sterotypical maniac you'd gain some influence with him.

mjorkerina

Scholar
The influence system as made by Obsidian shouldn't even be called "influence". In their KOTOR you can turn someone into the dark side.. as long as you don't do any dark side act in front of them. How retarded is that ? You are supposed to turn them to the dark side by doing two goodies shoes acts ? is that supposed to be what they think influence mean ?

Cabazone

Educated
Influence system sucks mostly because there is only one way to discover more content about your companions : kiss their ass. If have a low influence permit you to discover your fellowships in other manner and not just close doors, that will be a great progress.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Actually, the influence system works both ways. Having negative influence also brings up content about your party members.

If throughout the game you lost 3 influence points with a party member, you would get the same content that you would receive if you had won 3 inflluence points.

Cabazone

Educated
Well, I wouldn't go enough far in negative influence with one party members in kotor 2 or nwn 2. I haven't notice that.

So, it's obviously better, but it's still oblige you to pick up one way (low or strong) and fellow him. The problem is the same, you have to guess what your companion want to hear -or not- and say it. you can't really tell what YOU really want, because most of the time, you'll finish with neutral influence and discover nothing.

Ok now, don't say me there is content for neutral influence too or I kill myself (and your familly).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom