Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2: What is it like now?

afewhours

Scholar
EDIT: FF7 Plot Analysis flood removed. Sorry about that folks: carry on.

afewhours

Scholar

afewhours

Scholar

afewhours

Scholar
Lo Ku said:
Oh man, now I don't have to continue the LP!

NO! If you don't continue, the Codex will suffer the wrath of my Yuffie fanfiction.

[/DERAIL]

Okay, okay. This thread doesn't deserve pwning. I just can't resist any opportunity to flood the Codex with that plot analysis thingy.

afewhours

Scholar
dragonfk said:
It was so fucking unnecessary...please, IBR.

You're entirely right. I'm afraid the evil opportunist in me couldn't resist. I do feel kinda bad.

I don't want to have this thread thrown in Retardo Land just because of my being a cunt. I'll edit the flood posts to say something like "crazed flooding brought on by immaturity" or whatever I can think of. I'm not bothered about covering myself, but it may help rerail the thread.

EDIT:

gragt said:
Yes, the plot of MotB plot is made so that the character from the OC is reused but is it that contrived? If anything at the end of the game I found it very ironic that his (or her, actually) nature as the Kalach-cha, which allowed him to be the instrument in the defeat of the King of Shadows, is the very reason why he was chosen to be next the mask of the betrayer.

I honestly never thought of it like that. Perhaps a lot of the problems in continuity can be overlooked if you see the story as being based on The Sword of Gith rather than the PC? Focus on the mythical aspects rather than the personal aspects? Interesting.

gragt said:
I actually surprised myself when I accepted the explaination for the link between the two stories as believable while all this time I was wondering what half-baked excuse they will serve me to justify the link.

I know that feeling. It happens to me all the time. I happily sit through a lot of trash and still get swept away despite the plot holes. I think if a story can bypass your head and strike you in the gut, then that can cover a lot of problems. Obviously, it's not something that can be pulled off regularly though, as you can never tell what will connect, and what won't. 'tis a difficult art.

gragt said:
It's a bit better than being forced to agree with the character you want to please in the OC to get influence with.

I think if the Influence system is really gonna work, it needs a bit more tradeoff. I've got no real complaints about it, but it could be much more fun if gaining influence with one party member damaged influence with another. You had a bit of it in the OC. At the start of the game it's difficult to gain Influence with Elanee and Neeshka at the same time. I felt this was a Good Thing. I like it when your party bickers constantly.

gragt said:
As for the combat, I would have prefered a system à la Infinity Engine and a bit more balance but I found it fun.

Yeah, I always tweak the game so it resembles IE combat as much as possible. I always turn puppet mode on. As for the balance, I get the impression that high level 3.5 D&D is kinda unbalanced anyway.

I've only ever played low level 3.5 PnP, so I'm not the best person to judge.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Soulforged i think you may have slightly misinterpreted my posts. I have said that while he is special, he is a different kind. So I have admitted, that he is in fact, special to a certain degree.

Also, did you play through the entire campaign? I believe that Found explained quite clearly why they chose you. So did a few other people.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Sarvis said:
Has anyone figured out a way to hack in autopause yet?

I got tired of choosing between my character doing nothing for a few rounds and having them run off to fight things halfway across the map.

Have you tried paying attention?

DiverNB

Liturgist
AlanC9 said:
Sarvis said:
Has anyone figured out a way to hack in autopause yet?

I got tired of choosing between my character doing nothing for a few rounds and having them run off to fight things halfway across the map.

Have you tried paying attention?

Puppet mode ftw IMO

Lurkar

Scholar
afewhours said:
Yeah, I always tweak the game so it resembles IE combat as much as possible. I always turn puppet mode on. As for the balance, I get the impression that high level 3.5 D&D is kinda unbalanced anyway.

I've only ever played low level 3.5 PnP, so I'm not the best person to judge.

Yeah, once you get into "epic levels," the game starts going downhill. I mean, Exalted is fun every so often, but you don't really want it in D&D.

What made MotB hilarious in this regard is how enchantments and the lack of badly defined spells actually put warriors above wizards, whereas in standard 3.5, fighters are the benchmark of shittiness after a certain level, and wizards go off and become solo adventure parties, fulfilling the role of every member that could ever exist.

Soulforged

Scholar
DiverNB said:
Also, did you play through the entire campaign? I believe that Found explained quite clearly why they chose you. So did a few other people.
Yes I played both campaings fully, ironically, both for the extent and for the characters I enjoyed the original one more.* Besides I did something in the OC that I couldn't do in the expansion which was using console commands to bring my whole party all the time with me and observe their reactions to my deeds, it was amazing to have a full host of 10 or more party members...

*SPOILER: The final battle of the OC was much more dinamyc and entertaining, the final battle on the expansion was dull and repetitive.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Soulforged said:
*SPOILER: The final battle of the OC was much more dinamyc and entertaining, the final battle on the expansion was dull and repetitive.
Spoiler?

I'd say both were dull and repetitive but maybe that's just me. Both were annoying because you had the fight the fuckers three times interupted by cutscenes where your party yelled "oh noes this form is much stronger than the last be careful!" But meh, at least you got some alternatives in the expansion.

DiverNB

Liturgist
I'll admit the boss battle in MotB was pretty weak. I'm just glad it tied up a few loose ends in the cut scene though.

Soulforged

Scholar
Locue said:
Well that was an spoiler I didn't want to reveal the end of the expansion, even if it's predictable.
I'd say both were dull and repetitive but maybe that's just me. Both were annoying because you had the fight the fuckers three times interupted by cutscenes where your party yelled "oh noes this form is much stronger than the last be careful!" But meh, at least you got some alternatives in the expansion.
I don't remember those cutscenes on the final battle of the expansion, at least not in the part I considered dull which is the last one.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Soulforged said:
Locue said:
Well that was an spoiler I didn't want to reveal the end of the expansion, even if it's predictable.
What? That you fight the bad guy? Christ, dude, get with the programme. "Oh man, I never expected a boss fight!"

Also: the bad guy dies.

I don't remember those cutscenes on the final battle of the expansion, at least not in the part I considered dull which is the last one.
Cutscenes... Safiya/Gann/mystery popup box yelling at you... It's the same thing. At least in the expansion you weren't interupted from the hacking and slashing.

Soulforged

Scholar
Locue said:
What? That you fight the bad guy? Christ, dude, get with the programme. "Oh man, I never expected a boss fight!"

Ok, we already know you're acid man... Here have a candy...:roll:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Soulforged said:
Locue said:

Ok, we already know you're acid man... Here have a candy...:roll:
Is it... A SNICKERS BAR?!

Seriously man, what?

Lurkar

Scholar
Soulforged said:

No, it wasn't. The final battle in the OC was fucking horrible. It was just an exercise in turning different party members useless. "Aw fuck, all my melee can't do shit." "Shit, now my shitty sorcerer with no melee skills has to run around whacking shit with his sword." "OH GOD HIS POWER LEVEL IS STILL RISING."

And the area leading UP to the final battle in the OC was horrendous. It was the fucking orc caves all over again, only replace "orc" with "shit that's immune to half your stuff BUT STILL gets mowed over just as easily."

Soulforged

Scholar
Lurkar said:
No, it wasn't. The final battle in the OC was fucking horrible. It was just an exercise in turning different party members useless. "Aw fuck, all my melee can't do shit." "Shit, now my shitty sorcerer with no melee skills has to run around whacking shit with his sword." "OH GOD HIS POWER LEVEL IS STILL RISING."
It wasn't entertaining or it wasn't dynamic? The first is subjective, the second isn't. If you're arguing it wasn't dynamic it's patently untrue, if the case is relative to the expansion then one can argue that it was "more dynamic" than said expansion end battle. I'm generally not entertained by this kind of engine, they lack interactivity so its only an affair of sit and watch most of the time, at least this battle had me switching tactics. Notice however that I didn't find it absolutly entertaining it was just more so than its homonym.
And the area leading UP to the final battle in the OC was horrendous. It was the fucking orc caves all over again, only replace "orc" with "shit that's immune to half your stuff BUT STILL gets mowed over just as easily."
Sorry I don't remember it, could be.
Locue said:

Seriously man, what?
It took me a while to figure out what you meant by "what". Simple: you pointed out something that I had already pointed in my post to which you respond, then you add sarcastic comments, so I'm recognizing your acid humor and offering you a candy to counter the effects...

AlanC9

Liturgist
The MotB end battle gave lots of players trouble, mostly because of the limited party you've got. A wizard can neutralize Foozle long enough to take him down, but if you don't have one, there's a challenge.

Unless you crafted a really sick weapon, of course.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Soulforged said:
Locue said:

Seriously man, what?
It took me a while to figure out what you meant by "what". Simple: you pointed out something that I had already pointed in my post to which you respond, then you add sarcastic comments, so I'm recognizing your acid humor and offering you a candy to counter the effects...
Yes, I know. You replied to my joke. That was nice of you to do. But that wasn't what I meant with "what". I'll accept the candy bar, don't get me wrong, but I was more interested in a reply to

me said:
you said:
Cutscenes... Safiya/Gann/mystery popup box yelling at you... It's the same thing. At least in the expansion you weren't interupted from the hacking and slashing.]/quote]

My teeth are bleeding.

Seriously, there's next to no difference between OC final fight and MOTB final fight. Both are long and irritating and you get cutscenes in the middle telling you that the enemy is getting stronger and stronger. Then you beat enemy. Cue credits. Did I miss something? Because that's the only thing I can think of as "cinematic" and "dynamic" and all that. And you're wrong about using them words, btw.

afewhours

Scholar
Locue said:
Seriously, there's next to no difference between OC final fight and MOTB final fight. Both are long and irritating and you get cutscenes in the middle telling you that the enemy is getting stronger and stronger. Then you beat enemy. Cue credits.

Meh. I feet MotB is probably as good as these silly "climactic" fights get. I honestly don't get the appeal of these big dramatic one-on-one showdowns. If I was watching a film, or reading a novel, it would be fine. But for a game, I'd expect the final uber boss to be the ultimate challenge of my gaming prowess. Surely making the final battle an extremely tough and engaging test of wits is drama enough?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
afewhours said:
Locue said:
Seriously, there's next to no difference between OC final fight and MOTB final fight. Both are long and irritating and you get cutscenes in the middle telling you that the enemy is getting stronger and stronger. Then you beat enemy. Cue credits.

Meh. I feet MotB is probably as good as these silly "climactic" fights get. I honestly don't get the appeal of these big dramatic one-on-one showdowns. If I was watching a film, or reading a novel, it would be fine. But for a game, I'd expect the final uber boss to be the ultimate challenge of my gaming prowess. Surely making the final battle an extremely tough and engaging test of wits is drama enough?
Yeah, but the developers sure seem to have a hard time at it. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom