Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Oblivion reviewed by the Codex

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Hence, my previous point about shapes. The shape is irrelevant, the style isn't. Oblivion gates could have been a triangle and still looked like a D2 rip-off.

Mech

Cipher
sheek said:
Vault Dweller said:

Lol. Why the hell would a portal be circle shaped?

A triangular or pentagonal portal is also possible... such a lack of imagination should be a cause of concern.
Triangular would cool too. There is a different type of portal in the main quest if you haven't played that far yet. I liked that design as well.
Good points.

Vault Dweller said:
Hence, my previous point about shapes. The shape is irrelevant, the style isn't. Oblivion gates could have been a triangle and still looked like a D2 rip-off.

Damn, Bethesdas screwed. :lol:

LlamaGod

Cipher
If I was designing it, I would've made the portals various things. Like shadows and dead trees and shit.

The idea that in the dark/evil spots, the barrier between the two realms is the smallest. So with a little Daedric magic, you can squeeze people into the living world.

I'd also make that a ONE-WAY TRIP, so people can't fucking just hop in whenever.

Milecolt

Novice
Good Review.
The "Arch Mage" screenshots made me laugh out loud. You've just become the most powerful mage in Tamriel and what do you get? FREE INGREDIENTS!!!!!!YAY!!!!

HoodRich

Novice
I haven't followed this game's development, but in this forum who couldn't miss it? The review was odd. It's like he's more concerned with making fun of the developer's silly PR talk than he is with the actual game. And it reads like something I'd expect from a blog, or a forum post. Kind of like whining that you didn't like the game instead of providing a thorough analysis of its highs and lows. Who cares about dual wielding or crossbows? Who cares if the reward for being the boss of a faction doesn't get you the coolest reward ever?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
HoodRich said:
I haven't followed this game's development, but in this forum who couldn't miss it? The review was odd. It's like he's more concerned with making fun of the developer's silly PR talk than he is with the actual game. And it reads like something I'd expect from a blog, or a forum post. Kind of like whining that you didn't like the game instead of providing a thorough analysis of its highs and lows. Who cares about dual wielding or crossbows? Who cares if the reward for being the boss of a faction doesn't get you the coolest reward ever?
We apologize for the inconvinience caused by the obviously unprofessional review. The reviewer has been warned not to express his personal opinions in reviews and will be following PR material sent to us in the future. Thank you for visiting us.

The Management

Jung

Liturgist
The seamy underbelly of your seamy underbelly
HoodRich said:

Yeah, who cares? It's not like a review should point out stupid shit in a game. Everyone knows reviews are just supposed to be a natural extension of PR hype keep up the illusion of perfection.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
HoodRich said:
I haven't followed this game's development, but in this forum who couldn't miss it? The review was odd. It's like he's more concerned with making fun of the developer's silly PR talk than he is with the actual game.

Well, I'm not so sure I liked that either. However, I definitely agree that somewhere in this vast, wonderful world wide web, there should be an article that points out all the bullshit hype about the game that was stated during the development versus the end product.

It's like if a softdrink company hyped a new, spectacular energy drink for several months with a massive media market blitz. When it comes out, it's just lemonade with a bit too much sugar.

Kind of like whining that you didn't like the game instead of providing a thorough analysis of its highs and lows.

As opposed to most reviews which are just artificial highs, you mean?

Who cares about dual wielding or crossbows?

Me, because I typically tend to favor crossbows in most fantasy games so long as the design doesn't totally screw them over. More importantly, the excuse is they had to remove crossbows because arrow physics is so advanced and ubercool. That's nonsense. The physics for bows and crossbows is basically the same formulae, only the values that you plug in are different.

Who cares if the reward for being the boss of a faction doesn't get you the coolest reward ever?

Because being the head of something should probably get you something important. I know Bethesda doesn't understand this, because they're Communists from Maryland. They think that everyone should just try to be the head of something for the sake of the title rather than higher pay or more power. However, being the head of a faction probably should allow you to push people around, gather armies, and do some stuff your average adventurer can't do on his own.

HoodRich

Novice
We apologize...

Hey. I was just saying what I thought. That's not what I meant at all!
Now for some quotes.

Saint_Proverbius said:
Well, I'm not so sure I liked that either. However, I definitely agree that somewhere in this vast, wonderful world wide web, there should be an article that points out all the bullshit hype about the game that was stated during the development versus the end product.
... softdrink company hyped...

Everything has hype. Beer companies hype that their stuff can get you hot sexy women. When someone describes a beer they don't like, they don't say "yea well it sucks because I haven't gotten those women!" They say "yea well it sucks because it's watered down and made with 15% donkey piss!"

It's good to include stuff against what the guys in suits said they would deliver against what they actually delivered, but it shouldn't be the entire focus. Marketing is marketing.

Saint_Proverbius said:
As opposed to most reviews which are just artificial highs, you mean?

No. I never said that. I've only read a few reviews on this game - who could miss them? - and I've never seen a good one. They've all been hell yea this game is awesome we won't tell you why just go buy it reviews. Those aren't good.

Saint_Proverbius said:
crossbows

Are the bows good? Do they work? It seems Vault Dweller liked them. Even if he didn't, why mention crossbows anyway instead of why the bows weren't good? Can I complain about a lack of boomeranges and frisbees?

Saint_Proverbius said:
Because being the head of something should probably get you something important.

Yea maybe. But the experience in getting there is the best part. You know, the gameplay. Unless you're one of those people who play games just to collect virtual treasure or whatever. Talk about how the factions interact with each other and the main quest. Talk about the internal rivalries and how they play out.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Are the bows good? Do they work? It seems Vault Dweller liked them. Even if he didn't, why mention crossbows anyway instead of why the bows weren't good? Can I complain about a lack of boomeranges and frisbees?

crossbows and spears were important weapons in the middle ages and it wouldn't make much sense to develop a LOGICAL world that never managed to invent them.

It would be like making a Vietnam game without M-16s or something.

Milecolt

Novice
HoodRich said:
...Who cares about dual wielding or crossbows? Who cares if the reward for being the boss of a faction doesn't get you the coolest reward ever?

Let's take your reasoning through...

Who cares if the game sucks or not?
why play the game in the first place?
matter of fact, Who cares if one forgets to breathe?

Obviously, I do. Thats why I am playing the game.

Now, why are you playing the game if you don't care?

HotSnack

Cipher
HoodRich said:
a LOGICAL world...

A world with dragons, warp gates to hell and magic isn't very logical to begin with.
Don't be so anal, you know what sort of "realism" games like Oblivion are aiming for. It'd be "illogical" if the turning point in warfare history was the introduction of the vorpal dessertspoon, but by your line of reasoning it'd fit right into Oblivion right?

HoodRich

Novice
Ha. Yea I know. You should also know what I mean, the fact that it is still a game, not real life, and the option of another ranged weapon doesn't really matter. Besides I thought since it was an RPG that the RPG parts would be more talked about than stupid things like crossbows. But really quit latching onto the whole weapon thing. It was just one little part.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
It would be like making a Vietnam game without M-16s or something.

Guns are for cowards. Back in my platoon, we wrestled those Charlies with our BARE FUCKING HANDS.

LlamaGod

Cipher
HoodRich said:
Ha. Yea I know. You should also know what I mean, the fact that it is still a game, not real life, and the option of another ranged weapon doesn't really matter. Besides I thought since it was an RPG that the RPG parts would be more talked about than stupid things like crossbows. But really quit latching onto the whole weapon thing. It was just one little part.

They still maintain a lore and 'game world' and it's a retarded game world if they never got around to using spears and crossbows, since they were pretty damned useful for what they were used for.

sheek

Arbiter
LlamaGod said:
They still maintain a lore and 'game world' and it's a retarded game world if they never got around to using spears and crossbows, since they were pretty damned useful for what they were used for.

Truth.

Zomg

Arbiter
The choices of weapons and armor in TES games aren't there to make sense, they're there to tell you not to be alarmed by anything too original-seeming - you're in a generic medieval fantasy melting pot, so don't be afraid.

LaDoushe

Scholar
Saint_Proverbius said:
Me, because I typically tend to favor crossbows in most fantasy games so long as the design doesn't totally screw them over.

Do you still try to play with hammers too? I can still vaguely remember your "Way of the Hammer" sig, where you used a hammer in both FO and Arcanum. Please say yes!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
That reminds me, regarding the fucked up localization:
The German language kindly offered the translators a way to avoid calling axes blunt weapons. Well, unsurprisingly they didn't take it.

Thrawn05

Scholar
What I don't find logical is how can you escape from prison, and not have the guards come up to you and say somthing like": "Hey! I just threw your ass in jail! How the hell did you get out?!" or someone saying: "Hey you! You're the prisoners the guards are looking for! The one that escaped last night!" or somthing like that?

Great review VD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom