Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Obsidian is not the Victim

Silellak

Cipher
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I haven't tried the feature yet, but I think you can disguise yourself with faction apparel and go undercover in PGs and other places.
It doesn't work when you get too close to named NPCs - they see through the disguise and attack.

Fighting so many named NPCs convinced me that I was playing the game wrong, and somehow fucking up the plot, which I found out was true as the game kept telling me I had failed quests when they died
There's really no way to play the game "wrong" - as with any faction-based RPG, you will likely miss/fail quests on your first playthrough because you choose to side with particular factions. I'm pretty sure there's no way to play all sides in NV, but I could be wrong.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Silellak said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I haven't tried the feature yet, but I think you can disguise yourself with faction apparel and go undercover in PGs and other places.
It doesn't work when you get too close to named NPCs - they see through the disguise and attack.
Really?
I thought that only dogs could detect you...

Anyway, the "quest failed" popup is a remaining part of Fallbutt 3 and shouldn't really be paid any attention to in New Vegas.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
ironyuri said:
hoverdog said:
how's your lp yuri?
The game's too hard for me. I don't understand how it works. Must be too hardcore. I'm just trying too hard to look elitist while I'm just a typical newfag.
Ow, right, that's ok then.

Tails

Arbiter
Obsidian is the only oldskool developer left, live with it haters

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
That's why they are so venerated here, even if they haven't delivered anything great yet.
Compared to nothing they are quite nice, compared to Bethesda they are a gift sent from heavans.
But honestly they aren't that good.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Cenobyte said:
pocahaunted said:
Xor said:
Funny, I haven't found anything wrong with the game so far that wasn't present in Fallout 3.

This. I think these people are insane.

+1

I've had only 1 CTD so far, minor sound problems (due to a 5.1 sound system, this problem was already present in Fallout 3 and was never officially fixed) and sometimes AI problems (again known from Fallout 3). Nothing extraordinarily buggy or broken so far, and it's by no means worse than Fallout 3.

Haters gonna hate :M
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this concept:
1. This is a known bug in dev A's game/engine.
2. Dev B knowing this bug didn't do anything about it.
3. Clearly dev B is in no way responsible for this bug in their game since it was already present in A's previous game/engine.

spectre

Arcane
^It's a much easier wrap if you merely treat developer B as a glorified modder.

Elzair

Cipher
Honestly, bugginess is par for the course for Black Isle / Obsidian. I nearly forgave Fallout 3 after my last playthrough of Fallout 2 ended at the Oil Rig because THE FUCKING BLAST DOORS HAD GONE UP AND THERE WAS NO WAY TO LOWER THEM!!!!!

EDIT: To add insult to injury, when I tried to find a patch, I learned that the only patches released were not compatible with my saves. Jerks.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Shannow said:
1. This is a known bug in dev A's game/engine.
2. Dev B knowing this bug didn't do anything about it.
3. Clearly dev B is in no way responsible for this bug in their game since it was already present in A's previous game/engine.
Let's try a new formulation:
1. Gamebryo engine is a buggy, unstable and badly optimized piece of software
2. Bethesda and other devs made several games on this engine and none really managed to fix or circumvent the aforementioned issues
3. Obsidian did a follow up of one of Bethesda's game and didn't do better than anyone in terms of game stability, graphical prowess and such
4. Shitstorm on Obsidian, WROST GAEM DEV EVER!!111

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, it is true that Betharda should have fixed it long ago, I'm not sure why the blame should fall only on Obsidian.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Obsidian is the only oldskool developer left, live with it haters"

No.

Unless you mean old skool = doing sequels to others' games, copying others game play and stories, ripping off ideas, poor writing, overrated C&C, etc., etc., etc.

There's NOTHING old skool about AP or FO3.5.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Volourn said:
poor writing, overrated C&C

MoTB had the best writing on any modern RPG, hands down. Right from the start you know your in for something special when you start to banter with the merchant outside of Mulsantir and you realize the dialog is pretty fucking good.

Ho wait, its Volourn, the village retard, what the fuck am i saying.

Sceptic said:
herostratus said:
Shamus is a butthurt retard who consistently praises shit games like WoW and FO3 while criticizing games with a glimmer of goodness in them for the things he should've bashed the the other games for in the first place.
Pretty much what every game journalist does really.
Yeah. The reason why I was more pissed off at Shamus is that he actually says sensible things once in a while... Of course, he usually praises shitty games like DA and stuff, but I attributed it to him having an extraordinarily positive outlook on things and not bad taste. But now that it's revealed that he bashes the few actually good games, while praising all shit games, I've had to change my theory and conclude that he's simply a retard. That's why I rage harder at him than at others.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
MoTB had the best writing on any modern RPG, hands down. Right from the start you know your in for something special when you start to banter with the merchant outside of Mulsantir and you realize the dialog is pretty fucking good.

Ho wait, its Volourn, the village retard, what the fuck am i saying."

Hey, speaking of retards, look whose posting?

You dor ealzie that I like MOTB a lot, right? Right. DUMBASS.

MOTB has great C&C but it is the exception to the rule and is just an exapnsion unlike the very shitty AP.

Also, C&C is not 'old skool'. C&C is actually a new age gaming philosphy. real old skoolm RPgs don't give a fuckin' shit about C&C. You just proved my pint that Obsidian isn't really old skool. FFS

denizsi

Arcane
Hilarious bug:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKIkw3LIoQ

Vaarna_Aarne said:

If this is true, that would be a massive incline in RP gaming. Not that it would be anything new but how long has it been since the last time an RPG or two had this feature? Even action/adventure games have flirted with such features while RPGs became the game genres' poster boy for the retarded.

And that's why it can not be true, not in a Bethesduh game.

edit: I just remembered now the dull Dark Brotherhood quest in Oblivion where you could do this but it was a very consoltardly one-time demonstration.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Volourn said:
You dor ealzie that I like MOTB a lot, right? Right. DUMBASS.

Irrelevant.

Volourn said:
MOTB has great C&C but it is the exception to the rule and is just an exapnsion unlike the very shitty AP.

Irrelevant.

Volourn said:
Also, C&C is not 'old skool'. C&C is actually a new age gaming philosphy. real old skoolm RPgs don't give a fuckin' shit about C&C.

Irrelevant.

Volourn said:
You just proved my pint that Obsidian isn't really old skool. FFS

Just plain fucking irrelevant.

Volourn's entire posting history in a nutshell.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, if you put clothes of a faction on you they will think that you're one of them. At least most of them - except guards.

denizsi

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
Volourn said:
Also, C&C is not 'old skool'. C&C is actually a new age gaming philosphy. real old skoolm RPgs don't give a fuckin' shit about C&C.

Irrelevant.

And also plain wrong. I don't know what his definition of an old school RPG is but many "old" RPGs did punch some C&C a lot less cosmetic than the shit we get today.

Konjad said:
Well, if you put clothes of a faction on you they will think that you're one of them. At least most of them - except guards.

Nice. What happens when they don't think you're one of them at all. Everyone attacks on sight?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Gais, gais, I think we are forgetting something very important here:

Someone spoke of us somewhere. Are we going to let them think you can mention the Codex without the Codex being summoned?

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Gais, gais, I think we are forgetting something very important here:

Someone spoke of us somewhere. Are we going to let them think you can mention the Codex without the Codex being summoned?
Roll-a-die and I are doing our best.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You obviously can't read. Read it again. Then again. then come back when you are thinking clearly.

I stated old skool C7C is overrated which MOTB is not therefore it is not old skool. You guys make this way too easy.

But, hey, go play those GB games, and M&Ms, and other so called old skool games and come brag about their totally awesome C&C.

And, no, don't mention Ultima series which is the exception that proves the rule.

Tails

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"Obsidian is the only oldskool developer left, live with it haters"

No.

Unless you mean old skool = doing sequels to others' games, copying others game play and stories, ripping off ideas, poor writing, overrated C&C, etc., etc., etc.

There's NOTHING old skool about AP or FO3.5.
I wasn't serious Volly ;) and I agree with your last sentence.

Marsal

Arcane
denizsi said:
Konjad said:

Nice. What happens when they don't think you're one of them at all. Everyone attacks on sight?

Faction members (not all people belong to a faction, i.e. raiders attack on sight) behave as per your standing with their faction. There are several degrees of "bad" reputation (3?). I'm not 100% sure, but I think that only on the worst one (vilified?) they attack on sight, else they warn you not to go in their camp.

The clothes work great for ambushing/avoiding patrols or infiltrating camps and killing harder targets in their sleep (combined with "sandman" perk). I'm not sure "named" NPCs see through the disguise by default (or dogs and guards for that matter). You are warned guards can spot you, when first equiping a faction armor, though.

*CONTAINS VERY MILD SPOILERS*
I managed to first talk and then kill a Legion Centurion and half of the camp without alerting anyone, while being vilified by the Legion. Dogs, scouts and guards were "clickable" and spoke their default lines (the dogs ignored me).

In another instance, Powder Ganger guards opened fire when they saw me, while others behaved as I was one of them.
*END MILD SPOILERS*

Mine/grenade planting works great too. "Friends" of the victim go hostile for only about 30 seconds. If no one sees you, you're good to go.

Often times I forget I was on a "covert" operation while fast traveling. It can lead to some... unpleasant situations :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom