Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian working on an RTS?

Raapys

Arcane
I think an Alien RPG could be alright; they just need to nail the atmosphere. That's what made the AliensVSPredator FPS games great.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think it could be great, but I really want to hear more details about the direction of this game.

Murk

Arcane
my personal hope is a dark and gloomy game of survival that is low on combat, heavy on stealth/aversion. The way I see it is that going up against an alien should auto-trigger a feeling of "I have a 50/50 chance of getting my ass handed to me unless i can pull some crazy shit out of my ass and change things to my advantage".

we'll need mooks to mow down as well of course, but i'm hoping for Resident Evil, not Doom.

Longshanks

Augur
"The Thing" worked well with a similar atmosphere and game setup, and that's without the level of character interaction Obsidian is hopefully going for.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Longshanks said:
"The Thing" worked well with a similar atmosphere and game setup, and that's without the level of character interaction Obsidian is hopefully going for.

I really wanted to like The Thing video game, God knows how much I love the movie.

However, I always had issues with a lot of the design choices made in that game.

Spoony hits all the high (low) points in that game:

http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/games/Thing/

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Don't forget also the FPS being developed by Gearbox called Aliens: Colonial Marines, which also takes place between the first and third movies. It looks to be a squad-based tactical deal with 4-person co-op. It's supposed to be released early next year, though as far as I can tell no one has seen it and it wasn't at E3.

So, how is this going to tie into the RPG? Are the plots going to be connected? Is the RPG going to be enough like the FPS to attract the same players? Really, what sort of strategy does Sega have in having 2 Aliens games being developed at the same time? Or do they just think that the Aliens name is as big in gaming right now as Halo is (right now there is a Halo RTS being developed, plus rumors of 1 or 2 more things in the works, not to mention the movie that I'm pretty sure is dead at the moment)?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
There's more. I LOVE FF8 personally; but the review (unfinished it seems) tearing it a new asshole is HILARIOUS. It has 7 parts thus far. Absolutely beautiful. So are the two D&D games rveiews. Totally sweet.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
How could anyone like FF8? It has no redeeming qualities besides the soundtrack. It has a shit story, it has shit characters, it has a shit plot, it has shit artwork, it has shity gameplay, it has an especially shitty stat system, it even has shitty level scaling.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Longshanks said:

uh, that game was *awful*.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Volourn said:
In his household. He bought 2 copies of KOTOR2, and 1 of Oblivion. L0L

selling 1 more than oblivion != selling nearly as much as oblivion

1 more != nearly as much

MetalCraze

Arcane
VD said:
In Ukraine?

You're so funny

Anthony Davis said:
Also, I never said KOTOR2 sold as much as Oblivion. I said that it has sold between 1.5 and 2 million copies.

According to the linked materials on wiki Oblivion sold 1.5 mln of copies on consoles and much much less on PC (around 500k if I remember correctly)
That makes it roughly 2 mln copies sold overall.

So I fail to see how KotOR2 was a financial disaster.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Volourn said:
"Besides Anthony kinda winked at VtmB exp system where you don't get exp for killing but you get it for solutions of different situations."

Except in BL, this system fell flat because it just ended up making you just run pass enemies 'cause they meant nothing and they wer enormally ignorable. Lame.

Why do you lie? You're the first person I've seen mention this and personally I never felt the need to ignore enemies unless I was with a stealth character.

I guess if Bioware didn't make it you're not gonna like it huh?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"So I fail to see how KotOR2 was a financial disaster."

Nobody claimed it was, dumbass.

"I guess if Bioware didn't make it you're not gonna like it huh?"

The funny thing is I like BL...

Anthony Davis said:
You guys are kind of all over the place with this thread.

I confirmed with our HR Manager, Jim Rivers, that the 'RTS' is indeed a typo. It should have read 'RPG'.

Also, I never said KOTOR2 sold as much as Oblivion. I said that it has sold between 1.5 and 2 million copies.

I have no idea what Oblivion sold, but I bet it was a lot.

As far as an Aliens RPG is concerned, there are a lot more RPG elements in that movie than you would think.

There are really only 3 action scenes in the whole movie:

The First Encounter.
The Aliens invade Medical.
The Queen Fight.

Everything else was dialog, character interaction, character development, and environment interaction. Vasquez and Drake, Vasques VERSUS Gordon, Ripley and Hicks, Ripley and Newt, Apone and the Squad, Ripley and Bishop, and much more. Hell, you could even argue that there was BASE development when the marines took over Medical and fortified the area.

If you count the novels and the rest of the 'canon' source material, there is a gold mine of information to work with, and J.E. Sawyer has really done his homework.

I know people are skeptical of movie licensing in games, but this isn't the Aliens Movie Game. It is an RPG set in the Aliens Universe that happens to chronologically take place after Aliens and before Aliens 3.

Im pretty interested in this, having just finished an avp2 playthrough and started the marine campain in avp, and i guess my question, if youre at leisure to answer this, is how is combat shaping up? Has this been mentioned anywhere and Ive just missed it? Is this a party based game or 1 character or 1 character + sidekicks? is it isometric or over the shoulder or first person? have i asked enough questions? :wink:

elander_

Arbiter
Since we know it won't be TB/iso i hope they try to match DeusEx/Bloodlines action/rpg quality. On the targeting reticle don't follow the same mistakes as in those games. The chance to hit should not increase linearly with the distance. Instead it should be 100% until a certain distance and then decrease at a square function rate. It doesn't make any sense to be at 3 meters of a normal person and fail half the times with a shotgun even if the player char is unskilled.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Occasionally Fatal said:
Anthony Davis said:
You guys are kind of all over the place with this thread.

I confirmed with our HR Manager, Jim Rivers, that the 'RTS' is indeed a typo. It should have read 'RPG'.

I have no idea what Oblivion sold, but I bet it was a lot.

As far as an Aliens RPG is concerned, there are a lot more RPG elements in that movie than you would think.

There are really only 3 action scenes in the whole movie:

The First Encounter.
The Aliens invade Medical.
The Queen Fight.

Everything else was dialog, character interaction, character development, and environment interaction. Vasquez and Drake, Vasques VERSUS Gordon, Ripley and Hicks, Ripley and Newt, Apone and the Squad, Ripley and Bishop, and much more. Hell, you could even argue that there was BASE development when the marines took over Medical and fortified the area.

If you count the novels and the rest of the 'canon' source material, there is a gold mine of information to work with, and J.E. Sawyer has really done his homework.

I know people are skeptical of movie licensing in games, but this isn't the Aliens Movie Game. It is an RPG set in the Aliens Universe that happens to chronologically take place after Aliens and before Aliens 3.

Im pretty interested in this, having just finished an avp2 playthrough and started the marine campain in avp, and i guess my question, if youre at leisure to answer this, is how is combat shaping up? Has this been mentioned anywhere and Ive just missed it? Is this a party based game or 1 character or 1 character + sidekicks? is it isometric or over the shoulder or first person? have i asked enough questions? :wink:

I can't say much about combat except to say that yes, there is combat.

The game is party based, but you can also play it solo (very, very hard mode).

If you have a lot of Aliens questions, I would just head over to the Obsidian Site and visit the Aliens RPG Forum there. Josh monitors that forum and he obviously knows what can and cannot be talked about yet.

Deleted member 7219

Personally, Aliens would probably be in my top 10 films of all time (were I ever to make a list), and Obsidian have built up a good rep so far. I think we should hold off judgment until more info is released.

Alpha Protocol, however... well, from what I've seen, I am very skeptical.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
They're both 99.9% likely to be fun games. That's all that matters.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:
Nobody claimed it was, dumbass.
Is something burning, Volly?

Matt7895 said:
Personally, Aliens would probably be in my top 10 films of all time (were I ever to make a list), and Obsidian have built up a good rep so far. I think we should hold off judgment until more info is released.

Alpha Protocol, however... well, from what I've seen, I am very skeptical.

Judging by how Obsidian devs are willing to discuss SoZ and somewhat Aliens with the Codex (read "those whiny crazy oldschool nerds") and not discuss Alpha Protocol you can tell for what audiences those games are meant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom