Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oddboxx coming Dec 20th, 50% off in the first day

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
If I remember correctly, Oddworld series was supposed to last for 5 episodes. Abe's Exoddus was considered as an add-on though. So, after Munch's Oddysee (yeah, I'm not comfortable either with this spelling) and and Stranger's Wrath, we should expect two more episodes, am I right?

I'm also waiting for the Codex' opinion on the two latter episodes. I don't seem to remember much hype around them (which could be good news).

Also, this should be turned into a fucking smug smiley!
body_background_bottom.jpg

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Munch and Stranger were Xbox exclusives, released many many years ago. There was another Oddworld game in development at OWI, but was then canceled due to creative differences with the publisher. In 2005, OWI announced to give up game development and focus on making movies instead. In 2007, a new franchise called "Citizen Siege" was announced as a joint videogame-CG-movie project. Vanguard was the producer, but due to creative differences with director Lorne Lanning, it was shelved.

All we know right now is that OWI has contracted Just Add Water to make a couple of new Oddworld games, plus a PS3 HD port for Stranger. I have no clue on what OWI themselves are working right now, but I do really value Lannings vision and creative integrity.

Angthoron

Arcane
So how are Munch and Stranger, are they good games? I have Oddyssee and Exxodus, so wondering if I should bother with the rest.

spekkio

Arcane
Munch and Stranger for PC?

Fuck yes!

GoG or BG, the choice is yours, OI guys...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I tried playing Oddworld once, and was not impressed.

By the gameplay, I mean. The characters, setting and story were awesome. But the game itself? Ugh.

To me it felt like a clunky version of Flashback and Blackthorne, and I was enjoying myself for the first few screens. Then I remember restarting once and instead of going right, I went down.

I ended up in what I later discovered was a "secret room", which in Oddworld means it's 10 times harder to complete than a "normal" room. This made me go WTF, as who in their right mind puts a hard-as-nails secret room accessible from the very start of the game? I'll say it straight: Morons do. So I just quit playing there and haven't touched anything Odd-related since.

Which is a shame, since I happen to own the discs and manual for the first two games. I think I'll go catch a LP of Oddworld on YouTube, maybe then I can get in on all the good stuff in the series.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Unkillable Cat said:
I ended up in what I later discovered was a "secret room", which in Oddworld means it's 10 times harder to complete than a "normal" room. This made me go WTF, as who in their right mind puts a hard-as-nails secret room accessible from the very start of the game? I'll say it straight: Morons do. So I just quit playing there and haven't touched anything Odd-related since.

:lol:

The secret rooms get harder from there; you don't need to do them to complete the game or even get the good ending. They're there if you want to replay to get a challenge and 100%.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Doesn't matter what the secret room is for. The fact I'm bitching about is that the secret room is accessible from the start of the game. An adventurous soul like myself takes a wrong turn at the start of the game and gets raped in the face by the game. Great start, guys.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Surprised to see the last one is basically an FPS. They look good but I'll probably have enough on my plate to hold out for the summer sale to see if it gets lower than 50% off.

Goddamn. Has anyone figured out how to change resolutions in this box? Apparently providing a simple way for us to do this seemed unnecessary to them.. It's only a PC version, why bother. I'm having overscan problems on my screen if I don't use specific resolutions, so this makes it unplayable.. And I was actually contemplating of buying this collection without even trying it. Not anymore.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
You can set it manually in the ini file, from what I've gathered.

An adventurous soul like myself takes a wrong turn at the start of the game and gets raped in the face by the game.
I really don't see the problem, you respawn a screen earlier with no penalty except your wounded pride. The game does have a pretty vertical difficulty curve, but I like to get stuck in from the start, so this didn't present a problem to me; the secret rooms only get harder, and it's perfectly doable for a beginner if you have a bit of patience, timing and get the basic controls down.

Admiral jimbob said:
You can set it manually in the ini file, from what I've gathered.

Well I'm not as stupid as to not try that, except I haven't found any relevant config files in any of the game folders. One of the games (Strangers Wrath) has resolution options like "Low", "Medium", "High", "Ultra". That is ridiculous.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Oddworld 4
The XBawks1 Game

5-15 FPS on P4 3.0 GHz & GF6600GT 128 MB
5-15 FPS on quad-core i7 with GTX280 1 GB

The legendary porting

Yeah I've read about that, this is some funny shit. And they announced this box quite some time ago. They totally made use of it.

spekkio

Arcane
I bet my ass that some X-box emulator will perform better on such rig. If there evar be one.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
:necro:

I tried playing Oddworld once, and was not impressed.

By the gameplay, I mean. The characters, setting and story were awesome. But the game itself? Ugh.

To me it felt like a clunky version of Flashback and Blackthorne, and I was enjoying myself for the first few screens. Then I remember restarting once and instead of going right, I went down.

Which is a shame, since I happen to own the discs and manual for the first two games. I think I'll go catch a LP of Oddworld on YouTube, maybe then I can get in on all the good stuff in the series.

When digging up some Oddworld threads, I stumbled upon this post, and I felt the need to necro in order to ostracise you publically, Unkillable Cat-san, for this shamefur dispray of popamorism.

You are a gigantic faggot, Unkillable Cat, maybe you should go play Thiaf. No hard-as-nails secret rooms in that game :rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom