Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oddboxx coming Dec 20th, 50% off in the first day

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
For which part exactly am I a gigantic faggot? And have you shown that my point is wrong?

No?

Then shut the fuck up and take your fanboyism elsewhere.

Oh, and thanks for the LP-via-screenshots in the Screenshots thread. :smug:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
For which part exactly am I a gigantic faggot?

Every single one

And have you shown that my point is wrong?

Public displays of homosexuality require no counterarguments

BUT REGARDLESS

Saying that it's "clunky" is just untrue when its only sorta clunky part is run-jumping, and you can get used to that pretty fast.

But dropping the game just cuz 'WAAAAAAH I COULDNT HANDLE HARD SECRETS' and then saying that only "morons" do "hard secrets" has to be one of the dumbest things I've read in a while, considering it very much used to be a tradition for old games to "reward" you with secrets that held horrible assrape. Not to mention the first one in Abe's Oddysee is not even that tough.

Misconnected

Savant
Abe's Exodessey doesn't have clunky controls. Lots of the 'rooms' the games present the player with require perfect timing, an exact combination of input, or both. If the controls were clunky, it wouldn't be possible to achieve a perfect score in them. And it most definitely is, as I'm sure you can verify if you search YouTube.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeahhh... no. Sorry, but I feel that my platforming days are mostly over. In the 4 years since I made that post, I haven't even bothered looking up LPs on YouTube, let alone think about playing the games themselves.

Also, it's much more fun to watch Darth Roxor's butthurt over someone having a differing opinion than him.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Unkillable Cat just grab the games and give them another chance, trust me. They're the simply the pinnacle of 2D platforming gameplay. Perhaps you should start with Exoddus, since Oddysee is a really tough game and it'll grab you by the balls, spin you and throw you in a spiked wall. It also doesn't have quicksaves.
Hold it bro. Oddworld games are awesome and real classics, but they are NOT the pinnacle of 2D platforming gameplay by any metric. Heck, the NES alone has several games that are miles above Oddworlds as platforming games (ie, every single Super Mario sequel and Mega Man game on it). Really, all things considered, the gameplay is pretty simple and in no way attempts to do more than get the job done, often using extremely rudimentary elements like being grid-based instead of having real free movement (though it's clear why it's done, given how all the puzzles and traps are built with very specific target spots for passing them succesfully, resulting in a tight design that actively helps counters frustration), and due to how classic Oddworlds are almost completely horizontal (Paramites and Flying Sligs having more vertical freedom) in their gameplay they don't really even arguably qualify as real platformers but as a platformer/adventure game hybrid due to how the game places much more emphasis on various forms of puzzles rather than platforming.

TedNugent

Arcane
I would agree that Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus were basically puzzle games apart from being strictly platformers, but there is a element of extremely precise timing on some of the mechanics. For instance, the mines typically flash red 3 times before flashing green. Press it when it's red and kaboom. These elements may be combined with tossing grenades at more or less exact trajectories, or throwing rocks at landmines to blow them up and clear pathways out. I mean, any idiot can determine that when the mine is green that's when you can disarm it, but when you have to disarm 3 in a row while there's a squig or a Paramite chasing after you or you're trying to time for various squig patrols, there's a element of timing. I had to redo virtually every loading screen sometimes dozens of fucking times even after I figured it out just to nail the execution.

And I would say that Munch's Oddysee is very much a platformer, with puzzle elements being relegated to a more minor role. Incidentally what you say about the tight design from the 2D grid based approach is true, when they transitioned to full Mario 64-style 3D roaming on the Xbox, the platforming doesn't feel very tight any more and their execution simply wasn't as good.

Probably part of the reason that Stranger's Wrath moved on to being a bit more of a shooter with funky/weird elements. But it's fundamentally a very familiar console kiddy kind of game and frankly doesn't come off as monocled as the Abe suite of games on the PS1.

Vaarna_Aarne

To my regret I still haven't played Munch's Oddyssee and Stranger's Wrath (even though I have all of the digital releases since forever now) due to not having an Xbawx.

But like I said, every mechanic in the first two Oddworld games is grid-based. The rocks and grenades will have exactly four trajectories that will always be the same (not counting the difference in timing the grenade detonation), the only slightly random element in the games I can think of is the Flying Slig grenade launcher which seems to behave a little odd (then again, the Flying Slig is also the only part in the two games that is not grid-based). Anyway, I see the games as platformers at the end of the day too, but more of a hybrid variety due to doing things very differently from the norm.

I'd say hardest part in the games was without a doubt the Bonewerkz Director possession "bossfight", due to the need for speed, precision, and accounting for GameSpeak latency (this is the "Do you hate Squigs yet? Now you do!" one).

Still, as far as difficulty goes Abe games weren't really Nintendo Hard or anything, mostly due to the grid-based controls. All you had to do was figure out the spots and the timing, there's wasn't the kind of bullet hell or pixel-perfect jumping involved, and the only enemy with a real 360 degree attack and strong pursuit capability was also the one that needed multiple hits (Fleeches). Abe had a very satisfying degree of difficulty, with Oddyssee mostly causing frustration due to the checkpoint system being rather poor (Quicksave for teh win).

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
To my regret I still haven't played Munch's Oddyssee and Stranger's Wrath (even though I have all of the digital releases since forever now) due to not having an Xbawx.

But they are perfectly fine on the computard :M

Not far enough in SW yet to say, but Munch's is actually a p. cool game. The beginning is kinda shit and would suggest the rest will be annoying streamlinedshitpopamole, but the trademark Oddworld humour really manages to carry it, and it also manages to avoid many annoying things that you'd expect the new mechanics to require from you in later parts of the game. Mind you, it's completely different from Abe, though, it's much more of a "standard 3d platformer", with actual HP, more fighting enemies, more frantic running through bullet hell, etc. However, it is also not quite a standard 3d platformer because it mostly lacks the genre's most defining aspect, ie falling to your death. It's pretty much like all the other Oddworld games - unconventional, but also at the core pretty simple and intuitive without any superweird extravagant design, and hilarious to boot.

sligs

or actually you probably mean slogs considering Bonewerkz. And yeah, that moment was mean, although I think every single one packing fleeches was a hundred times worse, and I was glad as hell when I finally left the jungle never to find them again (sans a few secrets)

Vaarna_Aarne

Ah yes, Slogs is what the Sligs' "dogs" were called.

Anyway, the reason I referred to the Xbawks was because originally the two latter Oddworld games were released as Xbox exclusives (which caused my a lot of butthurt in early 00's), and only got released on PC and other consoles just four years ago.

TedNugent

Arcane
Anyway, the reason I referred to the Xbawks was because originally the two latter Oddworld games were released as Xbox exclusives (which caused my a lot of butthurt in early 00's)

Me too, bro. I remember going to a game store and finding "Munch's Oddysee" on the Xbox and my eyebrows folded in on themselves so deeply that they formed an epic furrow that threatened to split the front of my skull into a scale rendition of the grand canyon.

"Only on Xbawx."

Oddworld_-_Munch%27s_Oddysee_Coverart.png

I had bought a PS2. I still remember "The Bouncer." Fuck.

Turns out the game sucks, though, so it worked out okay. I still had fond enough memories of playing my friend's broken and scratched up copy of Abe's Oddysee that I was able to get worked up enough to play the entire series when it released on Steam. Munch's Oddysee was the weakest in the series, Exoddus was and is the strongest. Also, Munch is unplayable with mouse and keyboard (I managed to do it, but fuuuuck not recommended).

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea, ultimately the fact they changed the protagonist is what made it easy to just forget about it. I mean, not playing as Abe just ain't right for an Oddworld game mang. Abe's a p. cool guy who farts, chants and doesn't afraid of anything. Munch is just some dude on a unicycle. There's a reason why they had to put Abe on the cover.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
the fact they changed the protagonist is what made it easy to just forget about it.

But they didn't. You control two characters at once, both Munch and Abe, and ultimately you control Abe much more frequently than Munch. The title is actually misleading as all shit because there's hardly even any "odyssey" for Munch to talk about, compared to Abe's Oddysee.

Munch is just some dude on a unicycle

Actually, it's a wheelchair.

Also, Munch is unplayable with mouse and keyboard

Using the keyboard alone works absolutely fine, stop the lies.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, I stand corrected. Like I said, I haven't played it yet despite owning the PC version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom