Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oh for fuck's sake, how many patches does NWN2 need?

Shannow

Waster of Time
compmonai1.8.zip

I can't find the limited resting one but I never used it anyway.

I think I played PoR Remastered with the companion ai mod 1.8 and it worked. So either I'm remembering wrong or you installed the wrong files or to the wrong folder.
My Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\override should be the folder.
My Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\override\companion ai should also work. Makes rremoving and changing easier.

Gromnir

Liturgist
nwn2 is, if you can get acceptable frame rates, a moderate enjoyable d&d crpg. is not as big or has as many tangential & optional sidequests as bg2. does not have story and jnpc development o' ps:t. iwd is maybe a closer analogue.

iwd, another game developed by some of the same people who built nwn2, were similarly limited to the critical path & were approximate same size (though you level slower in iwd.) that game also had some portions that were largely little more than s-shaped maps with repetitive combat encounters... like nwn2 orc caves. iwd were, for the most part, better written, though it lacked any joinable npc development. iwd also ended better; black isle/obsidian has a mental block when it comes to doing game endings with iwd being possibly the sole exception to the rule.

iwd were no frills & streamlined 'cause bis needed a quick & cheap development.

nwn2 were low frills & streamlined 'cause o' the failure of some folks to keep the development process organized and on schedule.

different routes to get to a similar place. so if you enjoyed iwd and don't mind a similar streamlined d&d crpg, we could recommend nwn2 to you.

btw, save as a joke, it still not make sense that a reason to play nwn2 were 'cause you would get to level 20 and have superior 1007. console can do that in seconds, regardless if you means to play motb or not.

HA! Good Fun!

btw, Gromnir is adding ps:t in category of bad endings for bis/obsidian. end battle or dialogue were anti-climactic, and kinda kewl walk off to fight in blood war bit not manage to redeem an ending that otherwise felt abrupt and unfulfilling. chrisA maybe has a block when it comes to conclusions.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
RuySan said:
i installed tony's AI and every new feature in the behavior list is listed as "silence". WTF?

TonyK's AI mod takes some getting used to. There are lots of new behavior tabs and some of them do act pretty strange. Yours all saying 'silence', though, I don't understand.

Do you have any other mods installed? Is there anything else in your Override folder?

Nedrah said:
While we're at it, can anyone recommend a few good modules? Preferably ones on the lengthy side, as I hate it when a module is over shortly after I managed to get into it.

Definitely get both Harp & Chrysanthemum which was written by a member of Ossian Studios, the guys who did the upcoming Mysteries of Westgate, and Pool of Radiance Remastered which is obviously a remake of the classic Gold Box SSI hit. The latter will provide you a good many hours of old-school, old-fashioned D&D goodness, full of very challenging (yet sensible) combat and a surprisingly good plot, fleshed out somewhat from the original. I thoroughly enjoyed that one.

Texas Red

Whiner
Gromnir said:
btw, Gromnir is adding ps:t in category of bad endings for bis/obsidian. end battle or dialogue were anti-climactic, and kinda kewl walk off to fight in blood war bit not manage to redeem an ending that otherwise felt abrupt and unfulfilling. chrisA maybe has a block when it comes to conclusions.

Were you expecting TNO to defeat an evil wizard with world/multiverse domination plans, who held his soul, and return with Annah and the gang to live happily ever after?

Lurkar

Scholar
For mods, you can always try out the Kaedrin / Reeron compilation for new PrCs, new spells, and fixes made to already existing spells. It's designed to run with TonyK's. I've been enjoying it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Gragt said:
Lesifoere said:
Who are the romance options for male PCs again? Don't tell me Elanee is one.

She actually is the only one.

Oh my god.

On one hand, I'm pleasantly surprised that both male and female PCs have one romance option each. On the other, Elanee should burn.

if only you knew how the culmination of this romance is done...

MetalCraze

Arcane
no. But I wished this when I saw what I saw.

basically I almost didn't romance her at all, just didn't tell her to stfu. in the end, before the castle siege she just came and said something that was basically

could you fuck me?

and now imagine this in a context of her total emo character. and the same emo romance.

afewhours

Scholar
Y'know, I never bothered with any of the romance options. I just sat there laughing as my almighty Halfling Paladin with STR 10 and CON 10 ran around kicking mobs in the shins. Ah, simple pleasures.

From the sounds of it, I didn't miss out on much. I picked up a little by digging through the game files, but I was more interested in looking at boss stats and so forth.

mjorkerina

Scholar
Lesifoere said:
On one hand, I'm pleasantly surprised that both male and female PCs have one romance option each. On the other, Elanee should burn. I guess if I ever give the OC another try, I'll play a girl. Casavir, though I've only seen a little of him, surely cannot be worse.

Elanee clearly is the least evil of them all. I take the tree hugger over the kinda chaotic pick pocket and the sorcerer who has not even a little bit of self control anyday. Neeshka and Qara ? bitches. If NWN2 gave you, like Baldur's Gate, the choice of your companion NPC, and the freedom to slay all those who offend you (I used to insult (yes you can humiliate him in front of drunkards in your dialogue with him), then kill Yoshimo as fast as I could get to the copper coronet and never even gave him a chance to enter my party) i'd petrify Neeshka and Qara on sight.
As for Casavir he's a goddamn whinny paladin. Even if Casavir was a female and the most beautiful one on earth, i'd still want to cut the head off and make a bloody mess out of it.

Yeah, I hated most of NWN2 NPCs, i couldn't help but feel the need to mass slaughter while playing. We need a fantasy version of the atomic bomb. Maybe a huge asteroid call spell, or something.

Hory

Erudite
mjorkerina said:
Yeah, I hated most of NWN2 NPCs, i couldn't help but feel the need to mass slaughter while playing.
Not surprising, NWN2 has the largest amount of emo companions in any game to date.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bishop was good. at first. then they put him into an emo bunch.

Ammon is the best there. The only really interesting guy. I actually would like the next expansion of NWN2 to have this way for main character. doing the good things the very bad way. I don't remember many rpgs having such way of doing things.

afewhours

Scholar
Hory said:
Not surprising, NWN2 has the largest amount of emo companions in any game to date.

I felt it wasn't emo enough. I would have turned all the characters into anime sprites and had "Pictures of You" looping in the background for the entire game. Then I just might have been happy.

Besides, FFVIII remains the critical mass for all that is emo. Playing it is like opening a portal to the elemental plane of angst.

Come on, everyone. Get in touch with your innermost feelings, you'll enjoy it. I'm sensing a lot of pent-up frustration, powerlessness, and deep-seated abandonment issues here. I think a repeat of this thread may be in order.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
it's not that the npc's are emo, they're just boring , cliche and without any depth. The most incredibly stupid thing is that after you've helped Khelgar with his quest for monkhood the only dialog option with him is "who are you again ?" , HA! ridiculous...

Lurkar

Scholar
Ammon was easily the best in the OC, if just because he was the only one that wasn't completely shitty in the OC. He could've been a better character in another other game.

The Bishop thing pissed me off, because you saw the end coming miles away but couldn't do anything about it. HO HO HO WHY NOT FORCE OURSELVES INTO THE PARTY?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
NWN2 PC: HEY I NEEDED ALL THE HELP I COULD GET TO SAVE THE WORLD! CHAOTIC EVIL RANGER FUCKS TOO!! :evil:

Gromnir

Liturgist
The Walkin' Dude said:
Gromnir said:

Were you expecting TNO to defeat an evil wizard with world/multiverse domination plans, who held his soul, and return with Annah and the gang to live happily ever after?

nope. perhaps that si your thing, but Gromnir were looking for a little more. some heroic sacrifice and maybe a surprise (an inevitable surprise, but only 'pon reflection)... coupled with some genuine pathos. but we sure weren't expecting such an anti-climactic ending to the game neither. the entire last area o' the game were kinda lame, and the confrontation (verbal or combat) with the transcendent thingie were forgettable.

yeah, Gromnir gets to do the Shane walk at end... so what? end and stuff leading up to end were not nearly as memorable as first 2/3 of game. disappointed.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir

Liturgist
skyway said:
now let's bash PS:T for not having the hollywood happy ending.

who the hell is you people? is strawman stuffing thumping required at codex nowadays?

wacky.

HA! Good Fun!

AlanC9

Liturgist
Gromnir said:
nwn2 is a resource hog that will make most any gamer rig cry like a bitch (sorta like tim cain facing an inevitably missed deadline) if all graphic options is maximized.

NWN2 isn't exactly a resource hog; it's just plain capricious. I can run maxed with a x1650 graphics card. People with much better hardware than mine report problems.

Gromnir

Liturgist
AlanC9 said:
Gromnir said:
nwn2 is a resource hog that will make most any gamer rig cry like a bitch (sorta like tim cain facing an inevitably missed deadline) if all graphic options is maximized.

NWN2 isn't exactly a resource hog; it's just plain capricious. I can run maxed with a x1650 graphics card. People with much better hardware than mine report problems.

fair enough. an obsidian developer mentioned the same thing to Gromnir... that is, he noted that fixing the nwn2 performance issues were so damn difficult as even following post release feedback and testing, predicting nwn2 performance on a given hardware config were problematic. very little rhyme or reason... at least that were the case a couple months or so post release.

HA! Good Fun!

cardtrick

Arbiter
One issue is that it's much more CPU-bound than it is GPU-bound. So you're better off with a faster processor and a slower graphics card, unlike in most games. However, it's not multi-threaded, so if you have a multi-core processor only one core will be used. Most mid-to-high end gaming computers built within the last year or two have used dual or quad core processors -- so NWN2 only takes advantage of half or one quarter of their processing power. My E6750 was generally regarded as the third most powerful CPU on the market when I built my PC a year ago, but each of its cores is still slower than the fastest single-core processors that formerly dominated the market. What this means is that NWN2, because of its heavy reliance on the CPU but lack of multi-threading, often actually runs better on high end computers from two or three years ago then it does on those built more recently.

AlanC9, I suspect that you have at least 2 gigs of RAM and a single-core (but high GHz) processor. Am I right?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
skyway said:
now let's bash PS:T for not having the hollywood happy ending.
I liked the Blood War ending, but I wish there was another option. Seeing that after regaining his true name from the Bronze Sphere, the Nameless One regained all his old memories and no longer forgot when he died, there was really no need for him to merge with his mortality. I wish I could have said "Well, since I don't forget when I die anymore, I see no need to merge with you. So you go your way and I'll go mine, mkay?"

Oh sure, it would be noble and stuff to die and go the Blood War anyway, and meet your just fate. But it's not like the Nameless One has to be an altruistic person. Especially if he's an evil character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom