Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old-school dungeon crawls - post your favourite, and why!

Binary

Liturgist
I don't agree with the originally stated definition of "Dungeon Crawl"

To me, a dungeon crawl means a) number crunching on a fight-oriented RPG and b) the game occurs totally (or mostly) inside dungeons.

Automatically a few candidates would be eliminated by this definition, like the Underworlds or Wizardry 6

fastpunk said:
OK, Jasede, if there's one dungeon crawler you'd consider essential, a must play, which one would it be? Just one, the best of the best.

Legend - The Four Crystals of Trazere

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't consider dungeons to be part of the definition. Wizardry 8 practically has no dungeons, but plays likese "these old RPGs" which lump together under than monnicker. Monicker...

Name.

mondblut

Arcane
Binary said:
To me, a dungeon crawl means a) number crunching on a fight-oriented RPG and b) the game occurs totally (or mostly) inside dungeons.

Automatically a few candidates would be eliminated by this definition, like the Underworlds or Wizardry 6

Wizardry 6 not dungeon crawl??? Does it matter for gameplay whether the ceiling bitmaps are black and stoney, or blue with white spots, and the wall patterns imitate bricks or trees? Then again, Wizardry 6 had a single brick wall pattern for all levels, including supposed "swamps" and "underground rivers", so even the wall color is irrelevant.

Other than that, I agree with your definition. Dungeon crawling = lots of combat in monster-infested corridors with nearly zero non-hostile presence. Open-ended outdoors-heavy worlds with cities et al do not count as dungeon crawls, but mazes which happen to have forest-shaped walls do.

aleph

Arcane
My favorite old school dungeon crawlers:

- Might and Magic III, IV, V and VII
- The Realms of Arkania series
- Icewind Dale I and II (not sure if those count as old school)
- Eye of the Beholder II

Binary

Liturgist
Jasede and Mondblut, despite the number crunching, Wizardry 6 is very heavy story-oriented with multiple endings etc. So even though I agree that the entire world feels like a huge dungeon, I wouldn't really call it a number crunching dungeon crawl.

For the dungeon design, and puzzles, and the fact it has the best magical system ever seen on an RPG, I stand by my vote of Legend as best dungeon crawl ever.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
I played the hell out of MM2. Played it on the Genesis.

My favorite has to be "Alternate Reality the Dungeon". Awesome game for its time.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Jasede said:
TBH I never played Chaos Strikes Back. What's the best version/only version? Amiga? Amiga would be nice; I could play Black Crypt while I am at it, and replay Ambermoon.
It's only been 8 months, so here goes: a multiplatform CSB clone. Played it a few years ago under Windows, but it was damn hard.

fakeedit: I actually played this thing; will have to try the other under Linux some time.

edit: hey, here, apart from packages for DM and CSB, is a Debian package of a port of Ultima 4! :nerdgasm:

mondblut

Arcane
Binary said:
Jasede and Mondblut, despite the number crunching, Wizardry 6 is very heavy story-oriented with multiple endings etc. So even though I agree that the entire world feels like a huge dungeon, I wouldn't really call it a number crunching dungeon crawl.

Well, it has a lot of number crunching and is one huge dungeon :) I do not think dungeon crawling necessarily means a near abscense of storyline (even if it typically does), it just has to be presented via notes, observations, puzzles and so on, rather than long-winded dialogue trees with dozens of NPCs in happy towns.

Methinks dungeon crawling is about isolation in confusing and wholly hostile environment, as opposed to exploring a wide open (yet not necessarily outdoors) world with plenty of safe and familiar areas. Wiz6 or UUW1 are borderline cases.

My faves have to be World of Xeen, Devil Summoner II Soul Hackers (A jap only game.), Eye of the Beholder (PC, & Sega Cd) & Might & Magic III.
I played & own, or emulated almost every version of M&M III that I could get my hands on.
Snes version controlled like shit. Genesis version wasn't half bad.
The Japanese mega cd version seems to be the most visually superior.

The pc engine cd version of M&M III had the best music.
It was some eccentric techno electonica arrangement, but it actually matched the game.
Considering that M&M's setting was semi sci fi.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom