Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Paradox wants to relive the Cold War in East vs. West

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: East vs. West; Paradox

Prepare to defend democracy or spread the revolution around the globe in Paradox's recently announced East vs. West. Or just reenact Doctor Strangelove and activate your own Doomsday device. Probably.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Boner time! Excellent old documentary footage in that promo video, and I love the setting. Maybe this will get me into Hearts of Iron! I hope that covert operations are really well implemented: converting western intellectuals and officials into GRU/KGB moles...

What I find interesting though, is that Hearts of Iron is more of a war game; how would a stalemate situation like the Cold War be rendered in the engine? How about complex proxy wars, like what happened in Vietnam? I've never played it extensively though, so I'm guessing here. But maybe I have wrong expectations of this game (I want a complex political Cold War simulator)..

The pseudo-cyrillic on the map is very stupid though.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
2m4dul1.png
:love:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
My beloved britannia will fuck up the kwans and the reds.

SSphilby.jpg

That's Kim Philby. I'm stoked about this because I recently finished Le Carre's 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy', about a KGB mole. Related stuff:

Sure, lots of potential for grand strategy, but how about a purely espoinage game? Maybe someting like Sid Meier's Covert Action, but with more political maneuvring going on... Or maybe indeed like Paradox games, but with extended covert options, including using propaganda to recruit enemy officials...

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Nice. Maybe this will let me forget about Magna Mundi.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Is that a territorial waters system? Interesting.

The pseudo-cyrillic on the map is very stupid though.

Yeah, that was there in HoI3 too. I think there are mods to remove it.

Tags: East vs. West; Paradox

Prepare to defend democracy or spread the revolution around the globe in Paradox's recently announced East vs. West. Or just reenact Doctor Strangelove and activate your own Doomsday device. Probably.

An option to establish a polygamous underground bunker must be confirmed soon, Paradox!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Hot damn!

:bounce:

Time for some Kekkoslovakia.

Also, notice that there is no IC on the screenshot, but just GDP, population and liquid cash. Seems there's gonna be a notable amount of economy (mis)management going around this time, which I highly approve of. Basically it looks like the dream-team Paradox game, Hearts of Iron 3's holy bastard child with Victoria 2. Pre-order for sure. Hopefully focus will be more on the smaller countries waging proxy wars, with Kwa and Soviet Union being deadlocked in potential nuclear armageddon if either of them gets too involved.

PS: First LP must be one featuring Pakistan going full Andhaira.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Hot damn!

:bounce:

Time for some Kekkoslovakia.

Also, notice that there is no IC on the screenshot, but just GDP, population and liquid cash. Seems there's gonna be a notable amount of economy (mis)management going around this time, which I highly approve of. Basically it looks like the dream-team Paradox game, Hearts of Iron 3's holy bastard child with Victoria 2. Pre-order for sure. Hopefully focus will be more on the smaller countries waging proxy wars, with Kwa and Soviet Union being deadlocked in potential nuclear armageddon if either of them gets too involved.

PS: First LP must be one featuring Pakistan going full Andhaira.

Agreed, a mix between HoI and V2 in a more modern time period is some major :incline: I always wanted to see. The second half of the XXth century is after all a time of economic conquest, proxy wars, black ops, the space race, decolonization and fear of nuclear Armageddon.

Provided I get sufficient potato money before it gets released I may blind LP some glorious third world shithole. Africa, Indochina and South America have many potentially interesting countries to play as in that time period.

I just hope the UN won't buttfuck any imperialistic conquest peaceful expansion without sucking kwan or soviet cock. Then again consider the military, economical and tech aid choosing sides might be beneficial. Unless you go the Albanian route and suck Chinese cock.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2

I remember that game from somewhere but just can't grasp the name. Isn't this from the people who made The Clue?

That's East vs. West Berlin 1948 for Amiga

It was made by Time Warp Productions I know nothing more about it (I got the devs name from Lemon Amiga webpage)
I had it a pirated version for my Amiga 500 I recall fiddling with the game but I never understood shit cause at 10 years old I knew little english and the game is complex.

But East vs. West is the name I remember from the days of yore

Vaarna_Aarne

Agreed, a mix between HoI and V2 in a more modern time period is some major :incline: I always wanted to see. The second half of the XXth century is after all a time of economic conquest, proxy wars, black ops, the space race, decolonization and fear of nuclear Armageddon.

Provided I get sufficient potato money before it gets released I may blind LP some glorious third world shithole. Africa, Indochina and South America have many potentially interesting countries to play as in that time period.

I just hope the UN won't buttfuck any imperialistic conquest peaceful expansion without sucking kwan or soviet cock. Then again consider the military, economical and tech aid choosing sides might be beneficial. Unless you go the Albanian route and suck Chinese cock.
Albania better have a load of unique decisions so you can demolish your GDP as you endlessly build more and more bunkers everywhere, along with other insanity Enver Hoxha can think of.

Hell, they could dedicate an entire expansion just for letting you play in-depth with batshit insane dictators modelled painstakingly from Papa Doc to Ne Win with a special extra-large serving of Idi Amin. You would score points inversily too, the more of your own people you kill and more you cripple the economy, the better you are rewarded!

PorkaMorka

Arcane
How will they handle stuff like the Vietnam War in this engine?

It's only going to be a few provinces on the map, but it turned into a big deal.

Hellraiser

Arcane

It's only going to be a few provinces on the map, but it turned into a big deal.

That's actually something I have been wondering as well. Possibly high attrition modifiers, dissent rising (them hippies putting flowers into guns) and guerrillas getting bonuses for fighting on their home turf.

I could see there being events from sending too many soldiers to spread demokwacy, because technically speaking Kwa could just flood every province with enough troops to suppress any insurgency. Or possibly Charlie could just pop out of nowhere forcing your garrison to retreat out of an occupied province.

I wonder if feces-covered sharpened bamboo traps are a researchable tech.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Wonder if Gadaffi will be in there with his twin gold-plated desert eagles.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I never liked HoI too much as it was too much war and not enough... well, everything else. I liked Victoria far more, and this seems to go more into the same direction so... is nice!

Vaarna_Aarne

That's actually something I have been wondering as well. Possibly high attrition modifiers, dissent rising (them hippies putting flowers into guns) and guerrillas getting bonuses for fighting on their home turf.

I could see there being events from sending too many soldiers to spread demokwacy, because technically speaking Kwa could just flood every province with enough troops to suppress any insurgency. Or possibly Charlie could just pop out of nowhere forcing your garrison to retreat out of an occupied province.

I wonder if feces-covered sharpened bamboo traps are a researchable tech.
Actually, there's a chance it might work from get-go, depending on how overseas deployment and war works. Now, the grid of the map appears to be taken from Victoria 2, but even then there is a sufficient number of provinces for some 'Nam goodness. Bigger issue is that it will need HoI3 combat to really work. Maybe they could cook something up with the resistance mechanics from FotM?

Wonder if Gadaffi will be in there with his twin gold-plated desert eagles.
Should be a special Libya-only tech.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Wish more developers use the Cold War setting more frequently rather than another game set in the fucking Second World War.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom