Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Paradox wants to relive the Cold War in East vs. West

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Can you make new nazi Germany?

Fuck this game if not.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Can you make new nazi Germany?

Fuck this game if not.

I would much prefer the ability to restore the monarchy (seriously doubt nazi Germany will be an option, nobody on either side would be okay with that).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Sounds so fucking cool. Now I can't wait to larp
220px-TimbruNicolaeCeausescu.png
:thumbsup:
I hope you can get a decision to try and shorten foreign debt on the space program with strawberries.

Cassidy

Arcane
It would be cool for it to feature an alternate history scenario involving the aftermath of ULTIMATE DOOM EXPANSION SET FOR KWANZANIA AND SOVIET UNION. Nothing modders can't fix.

If population is properly simulated, then nuclear wars will be really bleak and devastating.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Is there concentration camp mods for paradox games? or mods that give supernatural events and occult tech trees?

I wanna massacre millions of people to summon avatars of the Norse gods to lead my armies while clouding the Americas with permanent and ferocious lightning storms. Empowered forest predators will cut a swathe in a circle around the equator. I want to conquer Europe and then be outdone by a reforged Jewish Nation of blood-golems springing from the very wellspring of my power. I want a flying super-airship made by super-techno America that takes an organized effort of a decade or more to build to invade Normandy and then be shot down in a desperate fight and obliterate a major part of Northwest France, leaving a crater that drains the English Channel. I want to move my bases to the moon and Antarctica as a last effort only to awaken things more terrible than I could of imagined and have the countries of the world unite in a confused defence that involves nuclear bombing of undefendable public centers to slow the swelling of transforming cosmic zombies who are only precursors to things more horrible.

Ahistorical fiction sells crazy amounts, why dun you do this paradox

kris

Arcane
I hope you can build bunkers and underground bases.

I must say I am really pleased to finally see them making a game in a new period, I am burned out on all their other flagships.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I'm feeling a Balkan empire under Marshall Tito might be my first goal in this one. Looking forward to hearing more.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Hey cool. I mean I prefer hot war over cold war in a goddamned video game but I gotta know how this develops. Improved diplomacy options? Arming third world nations to gear up against the invading scum only to have turn around and blow up your World Trade Center later on?

Cassidy

Arcane
This better allow date selection. I want to start as the Democratic People's Republic of Best Korea!

Definitively, just look at the possibilities if start at any date is available:

- Best Korea
- Rhodesia
- Apartheid South Africa for maximum KKK
- Hoxhaist Albania
- Mugabe's Zimbabwe
- Idi Amin's Uganda
- Gaddafi's Liby
- Iran
- Israel
- Trying to hold Yugoslavia together during the 1980s and REMOVE KEBAB
- Playing as Chile right after Salvador Allende got elected
- Trying to hold out after the Prague Spring as Czechoslovakia
- Vietnam obvs

To list a few.

Which also means I hope they will remember that the only real wars in the Cold War were by proxy and make minors more fun to play with.

Vaarna_Aarne

This better allow date selection. I want to start as the Democratic People's Republic of Best Korea!

Definitively, just look at the possibilities if start at any date is available:

- Best Korea
- Rhodesia
- Apartheid South Africa for maximum KKK
- Hoxhaist Albania
- Mugabe's Zimbabwe
- Idi Amin's Uganda
- Gaddafi's Liby
- Iran
- Israel
- Trying to hold Yugoslavia together during the 1980s and REMOVE KEBAB
- Playing as Chile right after Salvador Allende got elected
- Trying to hold out after the Prague Spring as Czechoslovakia
- Vietnam obvs

To list a few.

Which also means I hope they will remember that the only real wars in the Cold War were by proxy and make minors more fun to play with.
Yea, the minors should really be the meat of the game, with Kwa and USSR generally just looking at each other in a menacing way and telling minors the other guy is a meanie farty-pants.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Also, the majors should be trying to supply the minors with gear and the strong mediums trying to not get eaten by the power blocs. Getting more interested in this game as I think about it.

oscar

Arcane
The Vietnam War/Soviet intervention in Afghanistan in a Paradox game would be sending a few divisions in and right clicking "surpress partisan".

No Paradox engine could come close to simulating the intricate diplomacy (increase relations/form alliance/declare war doesn't come close to cutting it) and low-intensity proxy wars of this era. Hell the Victoria engine would probably do a better job (with its emphasis on economy, politics, government and demographics). Colour me very sceptical.

Vaarna_Aarne

The Vietnam War/Soviet intervention in Afghanistan in a Paradox game would be sending a few divisions in and right clicking "surpress partisan".

No Paradox engine could come close to simulating the intricate diplomacy (increase relations/form alliance/declare war doesn't come close to cutting it) and low-intensity proxy wars of this era. Hell the Victoria engine would probably do a better job (with its emphasis on economy, politics, government and demographics). Colour me very sceptical.
They all (EU3 onwards) use the same Clausewitz Engine, there is no "Victoria 2 Engine". Only different features implemented into the same engine.

And from a modder's perspective, the Clausewitz Engine almost certainly can do this, and if the assumption that the game is building off the fusion of Victoria 2 and Hearts of Iron 3, it certainly has a modest chance of doing so, as HoI3 Front Width-based combat model is extremely important if they want wars like Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan or Vietnam War, where a determined but objectively vastly inferior party defeats a superpower. With additional mechanics for popular support (obviously rebellions should not be something as casual as whack-a-mole they previously were, but instead things like breakaway republics, diplomatic deterioration, economic woes, damage of sphere of influence, etc; generally stuff that you can't just kill to make it go away, maybe the closest to the old one could be army district revolt, where the bad part is that even if you defeat the coup you still lost a sizable portion of your army), terrain (ie, how minors have a unique bonus on home turf that most likely completely offsets any tech or numbers advantage in the long run), defensive structures (Vietcong digging for victory), attrition (doomstack blocking, essentially, so the huge Red Army is there for a Europe-wide offensive, not 1000 unit spearhead), border control (so a superpower can't divert 100% of its forces against a single minor, as an example a lot of the Warsaw Pact would leg it the moment Red Army left town) and maintenance costs, the whole thing can be done so that the superpowers can't just ironman their way through either.

Technically they can do all of this, the question will be if they realize they should do this (meaning, focus on minors and proxy wars, and leave Kwa and USSR as secondary importance).

Kukulkan

Learned
:bounce:Paradox almost always delivers and this should be no exception. Soon the red star shall encompass the world.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Very challenging process, not sure if Paradox is up to it. It has to model large scale warfare in case of WW3 - okay, that can mostly be pulled from HoI3. But modelling bush/proxy wars is far more difficult and I can't think of any of their other game where they would've done something similar. After all, almost all conflicts were actually waged on battalion/regimental scale with few forays into brigade/division level (Korea, some Vietnamese engagements). Asper is going to be disappointed as I don't think the espionage side will be dedicated enough to please a Le Carre fan.

visions

Arcane
The pseudo-cyrillic on the map is very stupid though.

Ugh. Yeah, I hate that shit. I reckon anyone sane who can read cyrillic does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom