Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Party-based RPG recommendations

Yldri

Arbiter

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
I know you mentioned you weren't too interested in D&D but Temple of Elemental Evil if used without a party cap remover is actually quite a fun party-based game in terms of combat. The inherent level cap is 10, meaning that your characters won't have a chance to reach uber status and Clerics while still over powered in relation to other classes will not be the game breakers they are if left to reach high levels.

Perhaps try Jagged Alliance 2?

Though to be honest the way you described what you're looking for made me immediately think of MMO's and World of Warcraft specifically.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I know what you mean about the merging of classes in D&D. When everyone can do everything then everyone is the same. It's what makes D&D 3.5 games shit in my opinion.

Unfortunately the only party games out there are D&D. BG, IWD, PS:T are the best party games I have played. You could go old school with M&M but the roles are blurred there as well.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You can't go wrong with Wizardry 8. Party-based combat at its finest, really.

circ

Arcane
oldmanpaco said:
I know what you mean about the merging of classes in D&D. When everyone can do everything then everyone is the same. It's what makes D&D 3.5 games shit in my opinion.

Unfortunately the only party games out there are D&D. BG, IWD, PS:T are the best party games I have played. You could go old school with M&M but the roles are blurred there as well.
Are you saying because you can multiclass in 3.5, everything is the same? Because you could multiclass in 2nd edition too. If that's not it, I don't see how a rogue can do what a mage can or vice versa.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Might and Magic series
Wizardry series

World of Xeen is the best introduction to M&M and Wizardry 8 the best introduction to Wiz. Give those two a try. World of Xeen is abandonware, so you should have no problems acquiring it. Very oldschool, you'll love them if you can enjoy the blob-based movement and combat.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
circ said:
oldmanpaco said:

Are you saying because you can multiclass in 3.5, everything is the same? Because you could multiclass in 2nd edition too. If that's not it, I don't see how a rogue can do what a mage can or vice versa.

In 2nd edition option for dualclassing are very limited - only some combinations possible and only 2 classes max. In p&p 2nd edition you rarely have the stats to dualclass. Not comparable with 3.5 possibilities.

circ

Arcane
Serus said:
In 2nd edition option for dualclassing are very limited - only some combinations possible and only 2 classes max. In p&p 2nd edition you rarely have the stats to dualclass. Not comparable with 3.5 possibilities.
Ah ok. Well I don't know how other people play their games much, but I never multiclass with 3.5 because you end up with a weak ass build. I tried a monk+rogue, and pure monk and pure rogue kicked its ass easily. Not that it wasn't a fun experiment.

BearBomber

Scholar
circ said:
Serus said:
Ah ok. Well I don't know how other people play their games much, but I never multiclass with 3.5 because you end up with a weak ass build. I tried a monk+rogue, and pure monk and pure rogue kicked its ass easily. Not that it wasn't a fun experiment.

You have little experience in DnD. I'm not very experienced, but most uber builds posted on the foras are some multi-classed bastards. In 3.5 multiclassing is a key to powergaming,

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
circ said:
I tried a monk+rogue, and pure monk and pure rogue kicked its ass easily. Not that it wasn't a fun experiment.
There are prestige classes like Enlightened Fist that make monk hybrids more than viable. They are P&P-only, though.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BearBomber said:
circ said:
Serus said:

You have little experience in DnD. I'm not very experienced, but most uber builds posted on the foras are some multi-classed bastards. In 3.5 multiclassing is a key to powergaming,

3.5 is extremely exploitable. If you know exactly what you're doing, you can create an almost invincible character. Best character concept I've ever seen was the "hulking hurler".
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=142565
(265728-400)/200 x 1d6 + 5d6 = 1331d6 damage. Plus strength bonus (+39).

An average of about 4697 damage a hit.

Yes, D&D pen and paper players are horribly creative in things like that.

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
3.5 is extremely exploitable. If you know exactly what you're doing, you can create an almost invincible character. Best character concept I've ever seen was the "hulking hurler".
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=142565
(265728-400)/200 x 1d6 + 5d6 = 1331d6 damage. Plus strength bonus (+39).

An average of about 4697 damage a hit.

Yes, D&D pen and paper players are horribly creative in things like that.
:shock:

Dear god, the nonexistant!
I think I lost some sanity points.

Andhaira

Arcane
The Icewind Dale series
The Baldurs Gate Series
The Realms of Arkania Series
The Avernum Series (spidweb software)

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Wizard's Crown, Wizardry series, Knights of Legend, Might and Magic, etc...There are a lot of good party games, not that hard to find one.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Alcohol has amazing choices and consequences and always has a good story to tell.

What is the oldest game you enjoyed? And are you tech savvy when it comes to making old games work on newer systems?

I ask these questions because most party RPG's these days are not build around the premise of "you need each class to aid the other. One cannot do it alone". Many children don't like this kind of thing today, it can be a little too...difficult.

With older games, this is not the case. Usually people get put off with a) getting the game to work and b) the grafix/sound/etc are old

felicity

Scholar
There is none in SP, teamwork and specialization is important only when the situation demands it. Most SP combat tends to be on the easy side. I think you're stuck with MP games.

A NWN persistant world I used to play on called Higher Ground emphasis teamwork and specialization in the hardest areas(The Nine Hells and some other epic areas). I see you said you dislike NWN, but their classes are heavily customized beyond anything I have seen in NWN, there are even mud-like commands. The low level gameplay however, is nothing spectacular since the server allows muling (transfer items between characters) which screws up the balance in lower level. There is hardcore mode that disallows muling, in this case teamwork is mandatory even in lower level, but the difficulty can be unforgiving if you're not familiar with NWN. Leveling is fast fortunately, the module focus is on epic areas(post level 40, max level is 60, they implemented legendary level that overhaul the DnD system). It requires all expansions and the latest CEP to play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom