Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Online Announced

Shannow

Waster of Time
Will there be a cost to play Pathfinder Online?
We are planning a hybrid subscription/microtransaction model. Players will have the option to pay a flat monthly fee for complete access to all standard game features, or to use microtransactions to access desired features and content on an a la carte basis. Pricing details have not yet been finalized.

When Early Enrollment begins, only subscriptions will be available. Subscriptions will be priced at $15/month.

Will there be premium content?
Yes. Several types of premium content can be purchased using microtransactions. This content includes "bling"—visual enhancements to the character or the character's property that have no mechanical effect; a wide variety of mounts that let you customize your ride and show your personal sense of style; and low level consumables that will give minor benefits.

Our commitment to the players is that there will never be an item in the cash shop that is mechanically better than the best craftable item that can be made by characters in-game. The cash shop items will always be implemented in such a way as to avoid harming the in-game economy.

So what does that mean. You pay a subsciption "for complete access to all standard game features" and in addition you pay 200$ for a premium content house? In that case: LOL, no.

Dr Tomo

Learned
I know nothing about the game and its systems.... just that it has a $200 bullshit premium camp.

Way to go, devs.

This is Pathfinder and the name itself should be worth playing the game. Also settlements is the life of the game and it can never be deleted from your inventory permanently once it is destroyed, so basically like Eve with invulnerable stations.

Will there be a cost to play Pathfinder Online?
We are planning a hybrid subscription/microtransaction model. Players will have the option to pay a flat monthly fee for complete access to all standard game features, or to use microtransactions to access desired features and content on an a la carte basis. Pricing details have not yet been finalized.

When Early Enrollment begins, only subscriptions will be available. Subscriptions will be priced at $15/month.

Will there be premium content?
Yes. Several types of premium content can be purchased using microtransactions. This content includes "bling"—visual enhancements to the character or the character's property that have no mechanical effect; a wide variety of mounts that let you customize your ride and show your personal sense of style; and low level consumables that will give minor benefits.

Our commitment to the players is that there will never be an item in the cash shop that is mechanically better than the best craftable item that can be made by characters in-game. The cash shop items will always be implemented in such a way as to avoid harming the in-game economy.
So what does that mean. You pay a subsciption "for complete access to all standard game features" and in addition you pay 200$ for a premium content house? In that case: LOL, no.

Well the better deals are before the game is released and I am sure there are many on the Dex that will jump on this to have a hand in leaving their mark on the game.

v1LEJCd.png

DefJam101

Arcane
I admire the developers' heart but they're making the crucial mistake of trying to appease open PvP fans who want a good open PvP MMO, DAoC fans who want a good factional PvP MMO, Asheron's Call fans who want a huge fuckoff 90s MMO environment, Everquest fans who want old school semi-difficult PvE, EVE fans who want an MMO with actual decision-making, fans of EVE who have nonetheless never actually played EVE and think they have all the answers to making the perfect Medieval Society Simulator, and modern MMO fans (many of whom also fall into one or more of the previous categories) who want all of these things but with the added conditions of 1) not being able to lose, and 2) always feeling special and important.

All of these fan groups, aside from maybe the open PvP / EVE politics nerds, have conflicting interests. Worse still, they don't even understand that they have conflicting interests. This game just won't work.

DefJam101

Arcane
Of course it wouldn't be complete without the shitty old open world PvP which always attracts the biggest losers who never shut up about the good old days of Ultima Online or Rallos Zek Everquest. This game will probably turn into another mortal online or Darkfall that no one cares about.
hello friend, allow me to introduce you to your identical twin you've never met because you were too busy complaining about not having an identical twin to notice he existed:
Of course it wouldn't be complete without the shitty half-implemented open world PvP which always attracts the biggest losers who never shut up about how this particular game isn't catering to their professed lack of interest in open-world player vs player gameplay when approximately 97.9% of other MMORPGs on the market do exactly that. This game will probably turn into another grind/gankfest or half-assed pseudo-PvP MMO that no one cares about.

Dr Tomo

Learned
So somebody tell me what this is all about.
Will it be shit?

Well if you cough up $2500, you can then be apart of the game creation process with a historical character that will appear in game lore and as a statue. Or $4000 to have a indestructible castle/fortress as long as you pay for the upkeep, so how could it not be good? I always thought the Codex love Pathfinder.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
jumping on the hate-wagon:

Jesus Christ, what a piece of shit :rpgcodex:
:troll:

edit: though I am thinking of one day using some materials from the Golarion campaign setting

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
It's awesome how you can take any brand in existence and always succeed in making a 1st/3rd person MMO with shit combat and visuals out of it.

Gerrard

Arcane
So you pay 4000 bucks and get a building that is only indestructible as long as you keep paying for it? Wow.

Looks fun. Open world PvP is risky business, but I do like it. I love the sandbox stuff.

So what's going on now? This OP was made 2011. It's circa 2015. 4 years!!!

EDIT: So I read some of the posts. Lot of hate.

It's sad open world pvp is so unpopular. But I understand. Human nature is a vile thing I guess. I've always preferred to play open world pvp because it makes the high so much more meaningful when you have to survive the lows. And you know your friends truly are your friends because at any moment they could steal your things or kill you. It strengthens the bond. And because of the ffa, you can help your fellow kin in combat no matter what. The rules are in your hands.

One thing I notice in open world pvp games is they seem to be less social because players are more cautious who they associate with. There's more danger in approaching other random players. Everybody is careful. This is another thing I think most players in the gaming world don't like. They want to chill and not be cautious all the time about other players.

It's just in general more hostile environment. It's less casual as a result.

Last edited:
Pathfinder Online's robust trading system puts players in control of the world's economy with player-created items, consumables, fortifications, and settlements. Character-controlled settlements can grow into full-fledged kingdoms that compete for resources as they seek to become the dominant force in the land, raising vast armies to hold their territory against the depredations of monstrous creatures, NPC factions, and other player characters.

Whenever i read player built settlements, kingdoms, fortifications, player dominated economy it means vaporware or a poorly executed game like shadowbane, or darkfall or mortal online, all of them miserably failed or were not even released , some were even scams.Dont fall for it kids, trust me.Just reading sandbox is enough , theres only eve online succeeding except UO, and its frankly not satisfying to me anymore.
A new team on such an ambitious project, no way, it will end up a wow theme park clone or never be released.
There're al otof sandbox mmo's with small amoutns of succes. If they're succeeding enough to pay their billsthen ti's saisfactory. I curretnly play Wurm Online activelyfor the past 3 years and it has a peak player population of ~1300. I love the s*** out of that game. Ya it has flaws, but it also has many gems which make it priceless to me.

There're many others too. Even browser games. Some might only have a few hundred active players or less. Some only have 10 to 20 online in a period of time. Yet I still play them. They give me what I want. Generally that's ffa pvp and sandbox.

These games survive oftentimes because they have safe areas for players to progress or the ffa pvp is optional somehow. But ffa pvp is very unpopular and these tend to focus on it. Even Eve-Online is dwarfed by World of Warcraft's population.

YOU choose to only see Darkfall and Shadobwnae. YOU chose to focus on the poulation size. That's yoru choice.

The fact you only acknowledge Eve-Online and ignore the others means I shouldn't acknowledge you either. But fact is you're another poster on these forums and you have just as much right as me to state your opinion.

Last edited:

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
So paizo dropped the ball on this one eh?
Paizo doesnt even want to be associated with this pile of garbage- Not even a forum on their website.

This is all Goblin Works - How Paizo ever gave or sold these jokers the rights to use the Pathfinder IP is beyond me. I play tabletop pathfinder and love the ideas of this game on paper, I AM their target audience and I wouldnt play if you paid me.

even if the game is good (this isnt) I would be a bit leery about a box price, sub AND cash shop in an "early access"game or whatever- However, this game looks, plays and just IS shit and they still want the box price, sub and cash shop.

Population is around 3 people and even those 3 admit the game isnt worth it but they play and pay because of the "potential"- The CEO blamed the players for the lack of population (They should be recruiting more and bringing in friends)and sent them to go recruit other players on a list of sites he gave out including mmorpg.com. Hilarity ensued.

Yeah- Its terrible dude. =(
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...nder-Online-CEO-Encouraging-Recruitment-.html

Backers Quote below- "Ryan"is the CEO btw

Ryan, I think that most of us are just barely reaching the stage where we are willing to try to bring anyone into this game who isn't already interested. I love that you are so directly engaged with us, and open to what we have to say, and Pathfinder Online is improving at a phenomenal rate, but there have been a lot of things that were embarrassing, and for many it still isn't mvp(MMORPG.com Editor's Note: MVP = Minimally Viable Product).

Last edited:

hakuroshi

Augur
The deal looked promising at the start, not because of pathfinder - it was pretty obvious there will be next to nothing from the system itself, just setting in Golarion - but there were good ideas and it seemed that dev team had a chance to actually deliver. Some of my friends were very excited about it and got to alpha. But as it crawled to the alpha stage, it looked less and less promising. There were delays and some more creative devs leaving. When it went live it turned that there is simply nothing to do except pointless pvp. So yes, it is shit.

(..)
This is all Goblin Works - How Paizo ever gave or sold these jokers the rights to use the Pathfinder IP is beyond me. I play tabletop pathfinder and love the ideas of this game on paper, I AM their target audience and I wouldnt play if you paid me.

even if the game is good (this isnt) I would be a bit leery about a box price, sub AND cash shop in an "early access"game or whatever- However, this game looks, plays and just IS shit and they still want the box price, sub and cash shop.

Population is around 3 people and even those 3 admit the game isnt worth it but they play and pay because of the "potential"- The CEO blamed the players for the lack of population (They should be recruiting more and bringing in friends)and sent them to go recruit other players on a list of sites he gave out including mmorpg.com. Hilarity ensued.
(....)
1. I agree they might be butchering the Pathfinder IP, but hat wouldn't be new.

2. Are you sure you're their target audience?

3. You don't need to pay for a box price. You can get 15 days free. Monthly payment is ~$15. Not sure about cash shop.

4. I bet more than 3 people play--do I sense hostility?

So what's your beef? Did you play and you hated it? Did a patch kil it for you? Just based on what I see on the outside without playing it, t looks fun. A blend of PvE/PvP/Sandbox is nice. Attractive.

The only issues I have with the game are its early phase in development and its cartoony look. And why would I spend MORE $$$ to play Pathfinder when I can stay with the older more reliable Wurm Online where I have a developed character? I only need to spend ~$19 for two months of gametime. And I have 1-month of gametime FREE if I do some work and sell things. And moreso, I can play Wurm Online in Linux which I am doing at the current time. For some players this'll matter.

Given Wurm Online doesn't have many of the features found in popular MMO's, like in-game radar and quest-driven progress and fast travel and instances, and throws you into the world with little direction and imposes heavy consequences when dying, I doubt Pathfinder would cause me trouble. WO also ONLY has first person and its in-game map has no GPS. I started Wurm Online in 2012 and its graphics were very old looking, so bad graphics don't bother me. This is why I think Pathfinder ONlie MIGHT be fun to me, since most players expectations are very different from mine. If a review says a game is bad, chances are it's good.

And based on what I'm reading, Pahtfinder is EASIER than Wurm Online in these respects. In fact, based on videos I'veseen, it actually reminds me of EQ2 or WoW. It looks almost nothing like Wurm ONline. I may try to play this game sometime to see the turth. I seriously doubt I'll get the truht here or elsewhere without playing it, since even Wurm Online was never popular.

If anyone has played Wurm Online and played Pathfinder Online, I'd love a comparison between them. For people who aven't played Wurm Online, it's very crafting focused and very grindy. Yet its sandbox is immense. It's skill-based. It has very little hand holding, mostly the result of its lack of development resources and its audience--the audience is forgiving. And a lot of us, including msyelf, LIKE the lack of hand holding. It greatly increases the feeling of consequences. You must stay alert, esp on the pvp servers. You realy do lose things in this game. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when and how often.

Sorry for being agressive. I hate to be his way, but damn it, I have to stand up for what I believe and what I play, otherwise who's going to know people like me areout there? Soembdy has to speak. So I speak: We're out there.

Last edited:
Ok I read some more.

From MMORPG.com, some thoughts and pre-reviews:

(30 April 2015)
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/719/feature/9646

(9 June 2015)
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/719/feature/9762

Overall, it looks like the game should just reduce its monthly cost from $15 to something like $5 or less. It seems to me the makers are opening up the game early to generate cash to pay for the game, but it might be too early and actually hurt the game. The poor quality and the pace of changes might be just too much for the $$$ which is expected in return. Ironically, they might have got more money by just using kickstarters/hype and keeping development in-house rather than public.

This post in the MMORPG.com forums gives me some hope:
(started 24 May 2015)
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/719/view/forums/thread/432396/page/1
If you haven't tried PFO, and maybe now get why this game matters, and has the potential to help fix what's wrong with MMOs, and help us get back to the kind of fun we had with UO and EQ, then I recommend giving it a try—contact me for a buddy key to try the game for 15 days for free. And if you are one of those few that long to be a paladin, or someone who wants to support the holy work of lawful good paladins and clerics, then please contact us at Ozem's Vigil. We're looking for a few good women (and men!). http://ozemsvigil.guildlaunch.com/

Last edited:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yet another indy attempt at a sandbox on a budget that would be described as risky even by J.P. Morgan standards ending in hellfire and embarrassment. Who wouda thunk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom