Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I think I actually prefer hero difficulty.
Veteran is actually super easy. Like, I killed the Behemoth way before the abbadon started to spawn and I'm already up to the last bit of New Jericho tech without a harrower in sight, and I don't even need it.
Hero difficulty's tech progression felt a lot more natural and getting new tech and weapons feels a lot better because the pandorans tech up so damn quickly there compared to veteran.

Maybe I'll do another hero run with the same combination of DLCs. Except for legacy because Umbras are bullshit and the imo the ancient weapons kind of screw up what they were going for by having a class of weaponry that's just better than anything else. If it was just one copy of each I'd understand but you can mass produce them if you have firm enough control over the ancient sites.

ArchAngel

Arcane
ArchAngel how long until TftV gets out of Beta?

Is it any good already?
I think they are getting close to it but I was not able to follow it closely recently due to lack of time.

But I think it is good enough already if you are looking at something new to play. I think bigger changes to vehicles was one of the planned additions for full release but the guy doing that also ran out of time so it will be just more of campaign and base mechanic changes and more UI improvements for full release.

ArchAngel

Arcane
How many teams do you use for good global coverage?
I think I only had 2 in my last game, but they both used helios to get around. It wasn't really enough, but it was good enough to not die.

Any tried Terror in the Void overhaul mod? How is it?
Yeah. Quite good, but not as revolutionary as one might hope. I posted lengthy impressions a few pages back.
Sure but it also changes how you play the game, especially on higher difficulties. Also there are some cool new starting options that are setup in mod config.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Maybe I'll do another hero run with the same combination of DLCs. Except for legacy because Umbras are bullshit and the imo the ancient weapons kind of screw up what they were going for by having a class of weaponry that's just better than anything else. If it was just one copy of each I'd understand but you can mass produce them if you have firm enough control over the ancient sites.
I recommend TFTV for your next playthrough.

As for the ancient weapons, I would find the tech progression pretty dull if they didn't exist. Getting the best weapon in the game in like 1 hour of play is kinda silly, and that's what it would be without ancient tech for half the classes. And the ancient sites are tough missions, and you need to sit a ship there to gather resources, and all the upfront costs... I think it's not unreasonable. I do kinda agree that it makes the virus sniper obsolete, which is not great since it's also a super lategame weapon.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Does TFTV impact achievements? Does it affect the endings or research tree in any way? I still have Phoenix Project, Polyphonic and Terraformers endings left.

Edit : Hm, seems it ramps up the difficulty too.
I think I will play one more hero game before moving to TFTV. I had a bit of trouble playing hero for my first playthrough, so I'll try hero again to see after I played veteran and have more of an idea of how the game works and what to expect from the DLC.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Does TFTV impact achievements? Does it affect the endings or research tree in any way? I still have Phoenix Project, Polyphonic and Terraformers endings left.

I think I will play one more hero game before moving to TFTV. I had a bit of trouble playing hero for my first playthrough, so I'll try hero again to see after I played veteran and have more of an idea of how the game works and what to expect from the DLC.
Yes and no. It changes how some systems work but it also has new options to get faster access to gear and tech. Until you figure out the changes it might seem harder.
Only way it does make the game "harder" is that some of the most broken combat builds were killed so if you were depending on those to make the game super easy then yea, it is harder.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Got the NJ Achievement. It did not end how I thought it would end.
I thought West would just wipe the other two factions out like the Anu did to NJ, but he was actually fairly restrained.

- Syn ends up reluctantly working with NJ in the face of a PP / NJ alliance
- Anu's nation falls apart after it was evident that their cult is a sham. There is some resistance but only from hard core fanatics
- West goes on to make a planet wide world government promising freedom and liberty for all human civilians. So basically the government from Starship troopers.
- The infected are rounded up and put into quarantine camps. Those who cannot be cured are executed.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I thought West would just wipe the other two factions out like the Anu did to NJ, but he was actually fairly restrained.

- Anu's nation falls apart after it was evident that their cult is a sham. There is some resistance but only from hard core fanatics
- West goes on to make a planet wide world government promising freedom and liberty for all human civilians. So basically the government from Starship troopers.
- The infected are rounded up and put into quarantine camps. Those who cannot be cured are executed.
You do understand this basically means he wipes out all Anu that had any kind of mutations or infection which is almost all of them. Even Anu soldiers with no combat mutation are probably on kill list and on Anu art you can often see many mutated civilians and such as part of their factions.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

You do understand this basically means he wipes out all Anu that had any kind of mutations or infection which is almost all of them. Even Anu soldiers with no combat mutation are probably on kill list and on Anu art you can often see many mutated civilians and such as part of their factions.
True, but its still not quite the same as the Anu ending where the exarch seeks out to destroy NJ.
The way the cutscene describes the fall of Anu is kind of weird, imo. I was expecting NJ to just destroy their cities, but apparently Anu society just fell apart and NJ just had to quarantine and execute the stragglers as they were infected.
It's not like the Anu ending where the Exarch explicitly destroyed NJ.

ArchAngel

Arcane

True, but its still not quite the same as the Anu ending where the exarch seeks out to destroy NJ.
The way the cutscene describes the fall of Anu is kind of weird, imo. I was expecting NJ to just destroy their cities, but apparently Anu society just fell apart and NJ just had to quarantine and execute the stragglers as they were infected.
It's not like the Anu ending where the Exarch explicitly destroyed NJ.
Yes but Exarch does not go around and hunt down all pure humans. He just destroys the movement of NJ.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Never said he did, just pointing out that it's odd how in the NJ ending they did not personally destroy the Anu as a society (as opposed to what the Exalted did to NJ in the Anu ending), rather it fell apart due to the failure of their prophesies and its implied that NJ quarantined them like the rest of the infected.

I was expecting West to just flat out exterminate both Synedrion and Anu. As in, personally deploy armies to raze their havens to the ground and nuke them. Instead Syn just ended up working with West and Anu fell more to internal reasons than external ones.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Never said he did, just pointing out that it's odd how in the NJ ending they did not personally destroy the Anu as a society (as opposed to what the Exalted did to NJ in the Anu ending), rather it fell apart due to the failure of their prophesies and its implied that NJ quarantined them like the rest of the infected.

I was expecting West to just flat out exterminate both Synedrion and Anu. As in, personally deploy armies to raze their havens to the ground and nuke them. Instead Syn just ended up working with West and Anu fell more to internal reasons than external ones.
Sure NJ didn't cause direct downfall of Anu but they eradicated the remains which is worse than what Exarch did.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Sure NJ didn't cause direct downfall of Anu but they eradicated the remains which is worse than what Exarch did.
...yes, because there was no remains of NJ for her left to destroy.

"New Jericho fought until the end. She respected that.
Tobias West and his people believed in their principles, and died for them.
With them died the last fragment of the old world"

Besides, it would have been counter-intuitive for her to destroy normal humans; you can't mutate humans when they are dead, and she wants as many humans to accept the "gift" as possible. NJ were a direct threat to her new world order that had to be destroyed, due to their outright hostility towards the pandoravirus and Anu mutations. That was what happened in the Anu ending; ALL humans eventually end up mutated.

That is consistent with her motive, just as it was consistent for NJ to quarantine infected in accordance with their policy of the pandoravirus being a threat to humanity, regardless if the infected was a member of the Disciples or not.

After rereading the NJ ending, it seems they did fight a war with Anu, but it wasn't quite as a thorough path of destruction as what the Exalted did to NJ in her ending, and the fall of the Anu was more due to internal politics.

"The Anu cult resisted us at first, but as the prophecies of their misguided religion failed, they lost hope.
They remain an insurgent threat, but one we are determined to eliminate"

Funnily enough, this actually provides a bit of a contrast between the two; in the Anu ending NJ fought to the last man and were exterminated, but in the NJ ending its implied that only the hardcore Anu fanatics continued fighting and the rest left the cult to hide in the woods.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
fwiw, the authors do recommend to play it on one difficulty lower than the base game until you get used to the changes.
Fair enough. Does it break achievements? Can I still get master researcher and the endings achievements?
It does not block achievements. I've only beaten pp with tftv, and I got lots of achievements during that run. Might break some cheevos though, it's not like I checked all of them.

ArchAngel

Arcane
New bigger update:
Update #22

Hopefully the wait for this release will have been worth it, because it's BIG. In addition to the usual bugfixes (some of them Vanilla), we have the BetterClasses long awaited Infiltrator class rework, and the new Base Defense mission and Geoscape mechanics.

Please be aware that as the first testers of this content you will likely encounter bugs and balance issues. Your bug reports and feedback are very, very important. In addition, please note that the Base Defense content is not yet 100% finished: major things pending completion are rework of the infestation mission (which is now available to recover a base lost to the act) and adjusting the base defense mission and Geoscape mechanics to attacks from factions.

In other news, I have created a Buy Me a Coffee page, so that you can buy me coffee if you feel like it https://www.buymeacoffee.com/voland

-Bugfixes
+ Myrmidons not fleeing the battlefield after torso disabled (Vanilla bug)
+ Missions can be done more than once if using more than one aircraft (Vanilla bug)
+Firequenchers error message spam
+Error on completing some missions, preventing obtaining resource rewards.
+VO effects persisting across different games
+Impossible Weapons adjustments not applying correctly if loading a tactical save
+ Mutoids triggering Project Osiris
+Penalties from diplomacy missions not applying if loading Autosave
+Incorrect Vampiric damage shown in UI for Mutoids/Mutated operatives

-Changes
+New portraits for Alistair, Olena and Helena (still using our friend Abbinco's portraits as a base, now with more AI magic)

-Other
+A lot of corrections to text (big shoutout to @Louis11 for editing!). Full stops are now mandatory. Everywhere. Always.
[11:32 AM]
-New features
+Completely reworked Base defense, on Geoscape and on tactical. Big thanks to Dimitar "Codemite" Evtimov from Snapshot Games for all the help, especially re uncovering the mysteries of objective tile placement on the map!

-Better Classes

There is so much stuff that I'm just posting what Madskunky has given me:

These should be the changes from the last package, but maybe not complete or even some of them were already in the last version, not sure:

- Ignore Pain: Removed "mind control immunity"

- Synedrion Faction Perks: Replaced lvl2 Skill (Pain Chameleon) with OW Focus

- Phoenix Point Faction Perks: Replaced lvl 2 Skill (OW Focus) with the new Skill "Die Hard": When you take lethal damage there is 50% to survive with 1HP and have all negative effects cleared and broken limbs restored. Can only trigger once per combat.

- Advanced Laser Weapons: Changed Synedrion requirement from "Laser Weapons Research" to "Multi-sensor Threat detection Research",
Reverted New Jericho requirement to "Technician Research" instead of "Advanced Technician Weapons Research"

- Advanced Melee Weapon: New requirements are Advanced Melee Weapons (DoA) and Advanced Paralysing Weapons (Syn)

- Advanced Acid Technology: Requires Heavy Cannon Deployment (PX) research in addition to Acid Weapons Technology (DoA)

- Armor Break change: Grants 15 Shred to the next direct-fire or melee attack. The shred damage is additive, but is split between pellets. WP 2 -> 3

- Infiltrator Skills rework:
Lvl. 5: Neural Feedback - Passive - Gain 2 AP the first time you daze an enemy during the turn
Lvl. 6: Jamming Field - Passive - Enemies within 10 tiles have 50% fumble chance with firearms
Lvl. 6 Vanish moved to Class perk 1 (lvl. 3 on the 3rd row)
Lvl. 7: Parasychosis - 1AP/6WP - Target human-sized enemy within 12 tiles becomes Wild
Keep in mind that reworked skills are only applied to newly created characters. While the whole update should be save game stable it means that all your existing characters and all recruits that were spawned before the new version will have the old skill sets. Only recruits on havens and the PX roster that get refreshed after a while will have the reworked set.

Other:
- Jet Jump is now limited to one use per turn
- Jetpack Control range increased to 14, limited to one use per turn
- Rocket Leap WP cost increased to 3 from 2, limited to 2 uses per turn

vmar

Savant
Is Terror From the Void worth buying about $15 of dlc to play? I'd like to give it a try but not sure if I wanna spend more money on a game I haven't put much time into just for a mod.

On the other hand, does anyone know if pirated dlc works with a legit steam purchase for this game?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is Terror From the Void worth buying about $15 of dlc to play? I'd like to give it a try but not sure if I wanna spend more money on a game I haven't put much time into just for a mod.

On the other hand, does anyone know if pirated dlc works with a legit steam purchase for this game?
You can pirate the whole game and then apply this mod on top of it, the process is just not as simple as subscribing to it on Steam. You need to go into their discord and ask how to mod it for non Steam version.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
New bigger update:
Update #22

Hopefully the wait for this release will have been worth it, because it's BIG. In addition to the usual bugfixes (some of them Vanilla), we have the BetterClasses long awaited Infiltrator class rework, and the new Base Defense mission and Geoscape mechanics.

Please be aware that as the first testers of this content you will likely encounter bugs and balance issues. Your bug reports and feedback are very, very important. In addition, please note that the Base Defense content is not yet 100% finished: major things pending completion are rework of the infestation mission (which is now available to recover a base lost to the act) and adjusting the base defense mission and Geoscape mechanics to attacks from factions.

In other news, I have created a Buy Me a Coffee page, so that you can buy me coffee if you feel like it https://www.buymeacoffee.com/voland

-Bugfixes
+ Missions can be done more than once if using more than one aircraft (Vanilla bug)
+Impossible Weapons adjustments not applying correctly if loading a tactical save

-Changes
+New portraits for Alistair, Olena and Helena (still using our friend Abbinco's portraits as a base, now with more AI magic)

-Other
+A lot of corrections to text (big shoutout to @Louis11 for editing!). Full stops are now mandatory. Everywhere. Always.
-New features
+Completely reworked Base defense, on Geoscape and on tactical. Big thanks to Dimitar "Codemite" Evtimov from Snapshot Games for all the help, especially re uncovering the mysteries of objective tile placement on the map!

-Better Classes

These should be the changes from the last package, but maybe not complete or even some of them were already in the last version, not sure:

- Phoenix Point Faction Perks: Replaced lvl 2 Skill (OW Focus) with the new Skill "Die Hard": When you take lethal damage there is 50% to survive with 1HP and have all negative effects cleared and broken limbs restored. Can only trigger once per combat.

- Advanced Laser Weapons: Changed Synedrion requirement from "Laser Weapons Research" to "Multi-sensor Threat detection Research",
Reverted New Jericho requirement to "Technician Research" instead of "Advanced Technician Weapons Research"

- Advanced Melee Weapon: New requirements are Advanced Melee Weapons (DoA) and Advanced Paralysing Weapons (Syn)

- Advanced Acid Technology: Requires Heavy Cannon Deployment (PX) research in addition to Acid Weapons Technology (DoA)

- Armor Break change: Grants 15 Shred to the next direct-fire or melee attack. The shred damage is additive, but is split between pellets. WP 2 -> 3

Lvl. 5: Neural Feedback - Passive - Gain 2 AP the first time you daze an enemy during the turn
Lvl. 6: Jamming Field - Passive - Enemies within 10 tiles have 50% fumble chance with firearms
Lvl. 7: Parasychosis - 1AP/6WP - Target human-sized enemy within 12 tiles becomes Wild
Keep in mind that reworked skills are only applied to newly created characters. While the whole update should be save game stable it means that all your existing characters and all recruits that were spawned before the new version will have the old skill sets. Only recruits on havens and the PX roster that get refreshed after a while will have the reworked set.

Other:
I never really got infiltrators as a class.
New base defense sounds interesting, but there are no details.

ArchAngel

Arcane
New bigger update:
Update #22

-Bugfixes

-Changes

-Other
-New features

-Better Classes

Other:
I never really got infiltrators as a class.
New base defense sounds interesting, but there are no details.
There never are and I have not yet tried it due to playing Wartales and D2R atm.
But since base defense was one of the worst parts of vanilla, they could not make it worse.

Little I know is that there will be multiple types of Base Defense, you can lose it and it will become Infected that you can then go and recover in Infested base assault missions.
And there are some interactable elements during defense, not just hold one tiny corridor until all enemies kill themselves on fire.

Also human factions will be doing more raids/attacks on your bases if you decide to do missions against them.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
But since base defense was one of the worst parts of vanilla, they could not make it worse.
Why hating base defence? They're not very exciting missions (camp the entrance and kill anything that moves inside), but they are at least sorta unique.

razvedchiki

Erudite
come on man, player bases dont even have a door for the mutants to break....
they also attack from just one direction which is a pitty because the whole of the base is rendered in game and its wasted.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, they're a far cry from xcom or even xenonauts base defenses where the aliens are everywhere and you don't know where they're coming from.
Once you get purification grenades base defenses become a non-issue because of the choke point. You don't even have gun turrets, which is a pity as even XCOM Apoc had those.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom