Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hormalakh

Magister
That's why I think a smaller inventory for top of stash makes more sense. If you have a large enough inventory where you don't have to make difficult decisions as to what you want to bring with you on an adventure, then it really doesn't do its job right. They need to fine-tune the number that plays about right. I think even changing your inventory space in difficulty settings would be an improvement.

Inventory space is the limiting factor here, not weight. It erally does play like a MOBA, in DOTA2 for example, the most cost effective item is a iron branch. It gives you the best bang for your buck. The problem is that you only have 6 inventory slots, so "better" items aren't the best value because they're awesome; it's because they save you inventory space. If you had unlimited space in your inventory in DOTA2, then iron branches would be no-brainers.

If implemented correctly, the stash,top of stash, and quick items inventory system can play really well. It's not your run of the mill D&D inventory system, but you still have to make choices as to what to buy and what to carry.

kris

Arcane
So how is it misinterpreted? We don't talk about a novel here, one sentence is hard to be misinterpreted, more likely it is at is seems, a poorly formulated statement which is incorrect.
Probably but really didn't think that anyone would take "turn based" in that sentence as in XCOMesque turn (you play, I play, etc) and instead take them as DnD turns. But I clarified already, so no need triple rebound on that as I'm fully willing to admit it could, potentially, lead to confusion.

There are no DnD turns in Baldurs gate. It is real-time with cycles, like every real-time game ever. I think you showed here perfectly that you don't understand what a turn is.

K. Stupid and an arsehole. Carry on then.

I guess that is why everyone laughed at his post. I await to be directed to that "explanation" that is supposed to clear why he use the wrong term.

Hormalakh

Magister
As for the last point, it's simple.
As it is currently, all weapons sets are right hand AND left hand combined. So, if you have a fighter for example, he'd need to have one longsword, one mace and TWO shields (one in each sets) if he wants to be able to swap during combat. This is bullshit design.
What it needs to be, is right hand with 3 possible sets, left hands with 3 possible sets and allow the player to switch right hand during combat, without changing left hand, etc.

Oh I see what you're saying. Yeah I had asked Adam Brennecke about this a while back. The weapon sets aren't implemeted quite right yet and Adam said that it will be changing soon. What you're saying shouldn't be a problem when they've finished with it.

They might say it is, but I don't accept this beta as a "feature complete" beta. They're doing their best, but it's got a long way to go.

Rake

Arcane
By the way I know have access to YCS Goldmine, completely nullifying Roguey's usefulness as a poster ;)
You lack the trolling potential though.
But as far as being actualy usefull, i agree.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/98647720056/some-classes-like-fighters-can-only-actualize-their

anek45 said: Some classes (like fighters) can only actualize their full potential when they're at the front-lines, engaging in melee. Does this not automatically make any attribute that focuses on increasing the Range of ranged abilities, a dump stat for those classes? What was the rationale behind adding Range to the attribute system (in contrast to the existing attribute affects, which are things that can benefit *all* classes)?

Perception affects two stats: Accuracy and Range. I doubt any melee-oriented character really wants to dump the stat directly connected to attack resolution. Its influence on Range isn’t of tremendous importance to the melee characters, but they can’t simply ignore Accuracy.

However, the majority of support spells have fairly short ranges. Support spells tend to not use Accuracy because they’re beneficial effects that are applied automatically. If you want to play a support-oriented character and ignore Perception, you can do that, but you’ll need to be that much closer to your targets to do so.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That is the most fucking dumb shit I've ever seen. Josh nerfs the fucking shit out of casters via the attribute system at a benefit to everyone else, LOL. Accuracy is still good on Priests because they have a fair few debuffs, that's a really fucking unnecessary nerf.

I have to find out how to alter the range of spells so I can balance them myself to fix this bullshit.

edit: I suppose in my mod I can just change the default range value to a set value in the attribute system.

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
That is the most fucking dumb shit I've ever seen. Josh nerfs the fucking shit out of casters via the attribute system at a benefit to everyone else, LOL. Accuracy is still good on Priests because they have a fair few debuffs, that's a really fucking unnecessary nerf.

I have to find out how to alter the range of spells so I can balance them myself to fix this bullshit.
Maybe it would be a better idea to try to change the game for the better until release and start moding the game after that. I don't want to wait for the PoE:Sensuki Edition to enjoy PoE.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That's what I'll be focusing my efforts on, however by figuring out how stuff works now I also have a far better understanding of how to recommend suggested changes and how much developer time it will take, and I have a headstart for release.

Duraframe300

Arcane

edit: I suppose in my mod I can just change the default range value to a set value in the attribute system.

:butthurt:

J/k

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity

I think you should start making your own rpg. You're obviously a genius. Can't wait to play the perfect rpg you will make.

Sensuki

Arcane
You'd feel right at home on Something Awful, a lot of people there think the same.

Q_Q about my criticism of PE isn't going to stop it though. I want a good game, and I won't settle for anything less.

"good for what it is" attitudes like yours are not helpful in any way.

GordonHalfman

Scholar
Maybe it would be a better idea to try to change the game for the better until release and start moding the game after that. I don't want to wait for the PoE:Sensuki Edition to enjoy PoE.

Are you really not going to enjoy the game unless the 2% duration bonus is on this random stat instead of that one? BG2 managed to be a pretty good game in spite of the fact that from a gamist pov it barely even has an attribute system, I think we can manage with this one.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
You'd feel right at home on Something Awful, a lot of people there think the same.

Maybe there is some truth in it then. Some self criticism will not hurt you.

And no I'm not saying you can't be critical towards PoE.

Rake

Arcane

Are you really not going to enjoy the game unless the 2% duration bonus is on this random stat instead of that one? BG2 managed to be a pretty good game in spite of the fact that from a gamist pov it barely even has an attribute system, I think we can manage with this one.
That's not the point. And if Josh would be content to Copy BG2 1 to 1, from UI to hard counters to attributes i would rest easy. But the fact remains that he is not, and 99% of Sensuki's critisisms are spot on, and half of them are already implemented by Obsidian resulting in a better game. I would trust Sensuki or Grunker or Felipepepe more than Sawyer to recognize what parts of the IE games were good and should be preserved in the spiritual succesor as far as presentation and gameplay goes.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of course I can't say this with any certainty, but from every single thing I've heard of Something Awful, they're worse than 4chan and the Bethesda Forums combined.

Athelas

Arcane
There are plenty of forums with more idiotic posters than Something Awful. You needn't look further than, say the IGN forums.

Though one could argue that paying for the mere access to a games discussion forum is its own brand of retardedness.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Yes Something Awful is a horrible shitstain of a forum. The fact that you have to pay to post there should tell you more then enough :lol:

Duraframe300

Arcane

That's not the point. And if Josh would be content to Copy BG2 1 to 1, from UI to hard counters to attributes i would rest easy. But the fact remains that he is not, and 99% of Sensuki's critisisms are spot on, and half of them are already implemented by Obsidian resulting in a better game. I would trust Sensuki or Grunker or Felipepepe more than Sawyer to recognize what parts of the IE games were good and should be preserved in the spiritual succesor as far as presentation and gameplay goes.

First off I do support Sensuki. I have to say though that presuming the Obsidian devs wouldn't have done those things without Sensuki (Or generally that they somehow wouldn't have refined things in these months without the communitys critisism is a bit....

Of course, the same argument is exactly WHY critisism is important. Internally things get better through team discussions and arguments and through player experience in QA. Having more people involved, especially as dedicated as Sensuki, widens the discussion, brings in new arguments. This is most important.

Of course Sensuki could have worded his post less aggressive, but who cares? Its the codex. I'm like 99% sure nobody on the dev team cares as well. They are interested in the critisism, not especially the wording.

Rake

Arcane

First off I do support Sensuki. I have to say though that presuming the Obsidian devs wouldn't have done those things without Sensuki (Or generally that they somehow wouldn't have refined things in these months without the communitys critisism is a bit....

Of course, the same argument is exactly WHY critisism is important. Internally things get better through team discussions and arguments and through player experience in QA. Having more people involved, especially as dedicated as Sensuki, widens the discussion, brings in new arguments. This is most important.

Of course Sensuki could have worded his post less aggressive, but who cares? Its the codex. I'm like 99% sure nobody on the dev team cares as well. They are interested in the critisism, not especially the wording.
Oh, i'm not saying that Obsidian wouldn't have made the game better on their own. Just that posters like Sensuki (and the others i have mentioned) who liked the IE games more than Sawyer and most of Obsidian devs/testers, have a different perpsective of what a good IE game should be like, and they may point things that Sawyer/Obsidian wouldn't think about.
Case in point, item sketches. In my opinion it should have been an A (B at the least) priority feature, and Obsidian should have budgeted accordingly hiring an additional artist from the start. And they should have saved time copy pasting IWD2 UI, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom