Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Planescape Torment - question about switching classes

Can someone explain me how do proficiency for weapon work in this game?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
For the record, those are all the maximum stats increases you can get from quests (assuming you do everything right, you can miss some of those), minus the ones you can get from the class specializations and obviously the various items:

Strength +4
Dexterity +1
Constitution +3
Intelligence +2
Wisdom +7
Charisma +3
AC +1
MaxHP +7

There's also a scroll that can give you +2 to any stat of your choosing later on. Keep in mind some of those stat increases happen so late in the game that they are only worth taking into consideration if you plan to get a clean stat turn out before finishing the game. Again, check a guide for reference:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/187975-planescape-torment/faqs/7964

Thus, for instance, you get +2 points to Wis right before the end. So if you want to have 25 Wis before then (and you should have 25 Wis), you should only take Wis up to 23 and use a +2 tattoo so you can finish with a clean 25 Wis at the end of the game by removing the tattoo. It's pretty autistic but hey.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Can someone explain me how do proficiency for weapon work in this game?

You can put 3 points in a weapon normally, 4 points if you get the Fighter bonus at level 7, and 5 points (grand mastery) if you get both Fighter bonuses at level 7 AND level 12. The bonuses from the various specializations are as follow:

* no penalty
** +1 to hit +2 to damage +1/2 attack per round
*** +3 to hit +3 to damage +1/2 attack per round
**** +3 to hit +4 to damage +1/2 attack per round
***** +3 to hit +5 to damage +3/2 attacks per round

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Keep in mind that my build is based on knowing the game. For instance, i start with 13 Int, which ends up at 14 at level 7 Mage (so 16 with the +2 tattoo) and 19 at level 12 Mage because i know where the dialog checks are. In your case, it may be better to play it safe, but that will end you with some wasted points since there's really no reason to take Int past 19, except for 3 checks that need 21. But still, you won't die if you end the game with say, Int 23 just to make sure you won't miss some dialog checks (and according to this Int is more useful than what we previously knew, all though i think a lot of Int and Wis checks overlap):

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/64381/dialogs-stats-checks-analysis

Same goes for Cha. Up to you. Remember the game as no xp cap so if you mess up your build you can just grind Undersigil for some extra level (all though by then it may be too late. The game is really dialog packed in the first 70%. It only becomes combaty towards the end, mostly because the devs had to cut corners after running out of time lel).

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Or you can grind the Hard constructs in the Modron Maze, not as good xp wise as Larvae but lots on em and much more really valuable loot.

Nas92

Augur
I think the banter accelerator that was recommended in a modding guide broke the game for me. Morte and Annah's banters are constantly popping up and if something prevents the banter to play out the game crashes. There's also another weird dialogue bug: Sometimes, when I interact with objects (ie the question mark and use dialogues) it starts to loop and I have to constantly exit the dialogue screen and escape the area. Often that also crashes the game. Can I remove mods and still keep my saved games? I'm certain they're the cause of all this shit.

edit: To clarify, the weird dialogue loop only appears from time to time. Just now, I managed to avoid it with the Birds of Ocanthus in the Art and Curio Galleria, even though previously that also looped. The accelerated banter is really fucking with me though. It crashed the game like three different times in the last half hour.
Also, not playing Enhanced Edition. Kind of cursing myself for that now tbh

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Isn't the banter acceleration thing a single component you can take out?

EE has some conveniences but it doesn't really matter. You can just finish this playthrough and keep the EE for another run. I usually just replay this game every couple years (just long enough for me to get nostalgic about it). It's a tradition at this point.

Nas92

Augur
Isn't the banter acceleration thing a single component you can take out?
Yeah, it's a component of the Tweak Pack. Problem is, I don't know if uninstalling it would make my saves unusable. I guess I'll just backup my saves and try it.

Also, I get the feeling that Qwinn's Fixpack isn't working. The dialogue is still full of typos (think shit like "their" written as "there") which the Fixpack should have fixed. It also should have fixed the Hamrys infinite XP bug with the Tomb Plans but it didn't.

Nas92

Augur
Yep, broke it, seems like I'm either gonna have to live with it or just stop playing altogether. Fun fact: This is my fourth attempt at completing Planescape Torment along the years. Farthest I got to was Curst. It really looks as if it's simply not meant to be.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
The best stats:

1. WIS (25)
2. INT (25)
3. CHA (18)
4. CON (20+)

As you cannot play a priest, it's obvious what the best choice is.

Nas92

Augur
And now for some reason I can't talk to any of my followers. Pretty sure this is because of the dialogue loop bug. To be specific, you can stop the loop by talking to a follower, except that also appears to break the game. Fuck this shit tbh, I should never have experimented with any of these shitty mods. I played vanilla back in the day and I'm fairly certain I didn't have near as many game breaking bugs.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
And now for some reason I can't talk to any of my followers. Pretty sure this is because of the dialogue loop bug. To be specific, you can stop the loop by talking to a follower, except that also appears to break the game. Fuck this shit tbh, I should never have experimented with any of these shitty mods. I played vanilla back in the day and I'm fairly certain I didn't have near as many game breaking bugs.
DUH!!!

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just left the mausoleum on my EE game. Man is this game fun and now I guess I will play to the end.
My previous playthrough was with a Fighter but now I want to go full Mage so looks like I have to change my class before I reach Level 7 so I can get that magic bonus
Started with Int 18 and Dex 18 looks like I will focus a equally on Con, Wis and Chr

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom